'08 CA C Josh Crawford (LOI)

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Josh Crawford
Oxnard College
The 6-foot-11 center from Long Beach, who transferred to Oxnard from the University of Iowa, lived up to his billing as a difference-making big man. Crawford averaged 14.5 points, 9.8 rebounds and 3.9 blocks per game as the Condors won 10 WSC North games, the program's most since 1983. Piled up eight double-doubles in the last 10 games of the season as short-handed Oxnard chased Ventura in the WSC North standings. On Feb. 23, as the Condors faced a must-win against Moorpark on the final day of the season, Crawford piled up 24 points, 19 rebounds and seven blocks. Is being recruited by several schools, including Arkansas-Little Rock, Pepperdine and Southern Indiana.

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2008/mar/30/stars-mens-college-basketball-team/
I did notice he is listed at 207 lbs. He really needs to eat and hit the weight room.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
When most freshmen were completing their class schedules and double-checking their supply of ramen noodles, Josh Crawford was still searching for a school.

The 6-11, 195-pound big man found a home in Iowa City.

Crawford became a late addition to Steve Alford's 2006 recruiting class; he committed on Aug. 17, choosing Iowa over SMU and Pepperdine. It will be a quick turnaround for Crawford - he arrived in Iowa City just last weekend, and he will start classes today.

"A decision this late is very unusual, but the circumstances are also pretty unusual," Rivals' recruiting analyst Tom Kakert said. "Iowa did not find out officially about [Jamie] Vanderbeken until Aug. 1, so at that point, they needed to find another player with size. Crawford was a late bloomer who grew several inches over the past few years and really had a very good summer and impressed enough coaches to earn several scholarship offers."

The addition of Crawford was possible because 2006 recruit Vanderbeken was not cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Vanderbeken will attend Tyler Junior College, where Iowa signees Justin Johnson and Kurt Looby are from.

Crawford planned on going to junior college until just recently. The Long Beach, Calif., native said Alford and his new teammates were major factors in the decision to make a last-second commitment to come to the heartland.

The newest Hawkeye is only the third player on the roster taller than 6-7. While his size will be counted on immediately as a spot player in the Iowa rotation, Crawford says he see himself as a role player in his first season.

"I can shoot well," he said. "I can run the floor, and I block shots."

Besides being an adequate offensive threat, Crawford immediately adds depth behind returnees Seth Gorney and Looby as a possible defensive presence. Kakert compared Crawford with departed Erik Hansen offensively, but said his defense is not yet on par with Hansen's.

Although Crawford stands at 6-11, his 195-pound frame means he must add strength before he begins Big Ten play. Crawford said a couple of his goals this season are to simply add strength and add weight - perhaps as much as 25 pounds.
Here is something from back in '06 when he signed with Iowa.

landrus13

The Green Level
I read on his facebook that he is back in Los Angeles, and does anybody know if he is going to play pro basketball?

Last edited: