'09 IN SF R.J. Mahurin (LOI)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Small forward
Rockville (IN) Rockville
AAU: SYF Indiana Rising Stars

Ht: 6-foot-7
Wt: Unknown

Mahurin is considered a two-star prospect by Rivals.com. He also holds a scholarship offer from Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Attachments

• 530832_10152444724960032_254442214_n.jpg
    530832_10152444724960032_254442214_n.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Has anybody see RJ play?

saw some youtube footage, but not much else. I have a gut feeling he could be a hidden gem.

you tube videos

I finally found the old link along with one of Julian Mavunga, but both had been "removed by user".

FYI........... I have seen this kid play numerous times. He will be a great addition to the ISU program. He will obviously have to work on his physical strength, but he is only 16/17 years old, that is to be expected. He scored 118pts in 4 games at the Wabash Valley Pizza Hut Classic. He will not be a post player. He has a nice shot and good ball handling skills. It will be interesting to see how he does. He's only a junior.:sycamores:

just thought I give a little informaiton for those of you that have not seen him play.

He will be good at ISU, bigger schools will be after him.

Last edited:
From Rivals...

No Indiana teams advanced to this morning's quarterfinals in the 17U division. The SYF Players might have been there had they not had some referee and technical foul issues contribute to the loss of a late five point lead last night. The Spiece Indy Heat were ironically knocked off in second round playoff action by Spiece Mo-Kan (Kansas-Missouri). We heard that was in part due to a turned ankle from its star DeShaun Thomas. Speaking of Indy Heat we were very impressed again by R.J. Mahurin's play for them here. Had the Rockville player not committed last year to Indiana State he probably would be getting some Big Ten interest right now with as well as he is shooting the ball.

From Rivals...

No Indiana teams advanced to this morning's quarterfinals in the 17U division. The SYF Players might have been there had they not had some referee and technical foul issues contribute to the loss of a late five point lead last night. The Spiece Indy Heat were ironically knocked off in second round playoff action by Spiece Mo-Kan (Kansas-Missouri). We heard that was in part due to a turned ankle from its star DeShaun Thomas. Speaking of Indy Heat we were very impressed again by R.J. Mahurin's play for them here. Had the Rockville player not committed last year to Indiana State he probably would be getting some Big Ten interest right now with as well as he is shooting the ball.
Wow, looks like we have a potential steal on our hands, eh?

If Kelvin Sampson were still here... he'd still be getting Big Ten interest...

At any rate, looks like a good pick up for the Sycamores. I'd be interested to see how tall he is when he stops growing.

If Kelvin Sampson were still here... he'd still be getting Big Ten interest...

At any rate, looks like a good pick up for the Sycamores. I'd be interested to see how tall he is when he stops growing.

I know his dad and uncle are both tall - north of 6'10" , I think...

Not to split hairs but dad's really 6'8" and uncle is 6'9". Uncle played at Butler and dad at Marian College. Both were solid players, but the kid is a special player. I've watched him for the past three years. He started playing varsity his freshman year as a guard and has grown about 8 inches. Seems that he's still growing. He's looking dad eye to eye right now.

This year RJ had a big season...made the junior all-state team ...listed as one of the IBCA's top 15 juniors...made various all star teams...Terre Haute newspaper's area player of the year. He had a solid performance at the Top 100 Workout over the past weekend.

He has still been getting lots of interest from all over the place...Big 10, Big 12, SEC, other Mo Val... he wants to go to ISU.

His dad asked him where he would go if he could go anywhere in the country and he chose the Sycamores. Wants to stay home, wants to play right away, wants to make ISU a contender. He grew up watching ISU play. That's why he committed early. I don't think any of the offers are tempting him to change his mind. I will be happier when he signs his name on the paper though!

Not to split hairs but dad's really 6'8" and uncle is 6'9". Uncle played at Butler and dad at Marian College.

OK, so shoot me. :bigsmile: But I swear that when I watched his dad and uncle in high school, they were listed at 6'10" and 6'11". Of course, anyone 6'5" and up looks like a giant to me!!!!

Either way, we've got to keep this one. I'll go so far as to bet that we'll have to fend off quite a bit of "tampering" by IU and Purdue. He could end up as a Larry Bird type of player - a big man who plays like a guard, yet uses his size to great advantage. His could be a fun four years!

R.J. was the reason I went to Fort Wayne this past weekend, and all I can say is WOW! A little more muscle on this kid, and he's going to be a big time contributor to the Tree's in a year or two! He's still a little slight framed, but tough as nails, and great team player! Nice Catch for ISU!!!

He has still been getting lots of interest from all over the place...Big 10, Big 12, SEC, other Mo Val... he wants to go to ISU.

His dad asked him where he would go if he could go anywhere in the country and he chose the Sycamores. Wants to stay home, wants to play right away, wants to make ISU a contender. He grew up watching ISU play. That's why he committed early. I don't think any of the offers are tempting him to change his mind. I will be happier when he signs his name on the paper though!
You know, this is actually cool as hell. It's too bad State gets the bad wrap they do because it's a fine school if you apply yourself -- all the profs I had in my program (Management Information Systems) were top notch. I look forward to RJ coming to State and progressing through the program.

We'll be there again . . . one day

You know, it?s just my opinion, and correct me if I'm wrong, but....

Why are we so concerned about "Rivals Stars" and how many a recruit has? Why are we worried about the "hyped" players? I don't even "live" in Indiana anymore, and when I get a chance to come back for a visit I always seem to be out watching games that have ISU "possible recruits" playing in them.

I went to watch R.J.M. and had a chance to see several of the "possible" recruits. Some of the kids mentioned on here have no "stars" but still look like I wouldn't wait one second to make an offer to them!

When I graduated in 1978 I moved away to start my graduate work, but never lost the true blue heart. Now that I have the vacation time and the means to get back now and then, I enjoy watching the young recruits as much or more than the current team! Not that I don't LOVE what Coach Mac is doing, but I have big hopes for the future.

Kids like R.J. are going to make us respectable once again, and bring ISU back to where it should have never lost the ground it gained in 1979.

Just my humble "alum" suggestion . . . go after the Indiana kids like you never have before. Get those flying under the radar, or not "politically" wound. Everyone knows that the High School Coaches always have a hidden agenda for the kids they promote. Most of them are more corrupt than the IHSAA itself. Go after the kids who have potential to take the Sycamores back to where they deserve to be.....top of the heap!

Wouldn't it be nice to be mentioned in the same class as IU, Purdue, hell . . even BUTLER! Well . . . go after the Indiana kids before everyone else sucks them up.

I watched Dave Mahurin in high school, and if R.J. takes after the old man . . . we got a steal. Now, get a few more, and make the offers before someone else does. Stop worrying about the damned RIVAL STARS!

Don't be surprised if the kid winds up in West Lafayette instead of Terre Haute. When Matt Painter tosses a Big Ten future at him, bet on him bolting the Trees for the bigger stage. I hope he honors his early committment, but don't bank on him wearing blue until he's signed, sealed and delivered. It will probably come down to where he's comfortable and what he wants to major in. The two schools have good programs, but not necessarilly the same programs, so it may come down to what he wants to do for a living. If he wants to become a vet, a pharmacist or an engineer, good-bye Terre Haute.

:sycamores:

Back