'10 IN F/C Dylan McDaniel

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

P

PhenomBasketball

Forward
New Albany High School (New Albany, IN)

Ht: 6-foot-6
Wt: 230 lbs

6'6" 230 lb player from the South that plays inside and outside with a sweet shooting stroke. Saw him play in Rivals events, and Showcase events over the summer and fall several times.

Plays for VERY deep New Albany team on JV possibly Varsity later in the season depending on roster depth with 5 Seniors and 5 Juniors!

Shoot 3's like another BIG player that attended ISU in 1979! Definately the top shooting big man in the State at this time, hands down. MUST work on speed and footwork, but at 15 years old still has a lot of growing to do, the upside is HUGE!

ISU would do well to keep this kid on their watch, and throw an offer out ASAP before someone snatches him up!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Good job on spotting a possible future star. I live in the New Albany area and was not aware of this young man. I will have to keep an eye out for him now.

Hey 51.... spoke with this kid in Indy a couple days back, and he said he's the one that won the Hot Shot and Free Throw T-Shirts at your camp at some fieldhouse in Sellersburg back when he was in 6th or 7th grade . . . how funny is that!

I doubt it still fits him now! I'll keep my eye out for Dylan when the Dogs come to Silver Creek this year. NA should be loaded!

hmmm

While The McDaniel kid can shoot, I have to question his ability to get the shot off with his slow release. He is a load inside, but in an up and down the court game he would not fare well.
I look forward to seeing him progress

While The McDaniel kid can shoot, I have to question his ability to get the shot off with his slow release. He is a load inside, but in an up and down the court game he would not fare well.
I look forward to seeing him progress
Had a chance to see this kid play in Fort Wayne at the Run and Slam for his Spiece team. Not sure what you're talking about with a slow release, he rarely missed a shot, and looked much more athletic than I remember from last year? He also looks like he's grown some? Played inside and outside very well . . . . no offer yet??????

Not quite

He is a Div 2 player. The Anderson Kid from Terre Haute North is borderline mid major, and he is way better than McDaniel. He will have his chance to prove himself at NA this season. My main concern is if he is so good, why not a sniff of Varsity action?

What kid are you watching? I've seen him play twice this summer, and he's dropped about 20 pounds, and running the floor much better! Why isn't he playing Varsity? That's a great question, and I have no answer, I've never had the chance to see his high school play, but last I heard they had 5-6 Seniors last year, that could have had something to do with it? It will be interesting to watch.
You must be a pro evaluator if you can come out and say a Sophomore is ONLY a D-2 player at this age. Kids change a lot from 16 to 18 or 19 years of age, sounds like you're chewing on some sour grapes !! He's about 6'7" now, and still one of the best pick and pop players in the state of Indiana, shoots the three better than any other kid of his size right now. I'd say you go watch him play this summer before you say anything else, this kid is changing his play FAST, and doing a great job for his summer Coach! His team is ending up in the final four or championship games of every single tournament they play in right now, and they have NO big names, and McDaniel is their ONLY true post player. He has to be doing something right. You might ask a few of the REAL evaluators out there like SPorts Illustrated, Rivals and Indiana Basketball News before you post your opinion, becasue they love this kid!

Anderson is a FANTASTIC player as well, but is about finished growing. He's still one of the better 3 players in the state though, I'm not taking anything from him. He's just hard to watch playing in the Sr to be divisions, he's just not ready to be there yet, he should have played with a team in his own age division this summer. He's struggled every tournament I have seen him play in this spring, and not sure to ability, it's due to physical maturity.

So you have to wait until a player is 18 to make an evaluation? What schools are recruiting him? Dismiss my opinion all you want, Ive seen him play. Since when is being a Div II player a bad thing? Donnie Hale got plenty of time playing as a freshman and Sophmore at New Albany.

He's a stretch to play at the D2 level. Who can he guard? Sometimes I think his dad can be his undoing, overhyping him to the point of where people who counter have to vehemently disagree. To listen to all the hype a couple of years ago, you would have though Donnie Hale would have been lucky to be on the same court as McDaniel, but it's clear that Hale is the real deal.

I agree Thomas Anderson is better. He's much more mobile, and he is skilled with the basketball. Anderson will be the D2, perhaps low D1 power forward. McDaniel will slide down to the NAIA level.

So you have to wait until a player is 18 to make an evaluation? What schools are recruiting him? Dismiss my opinion all you want, Ive seen him play. Since when is being a Div II player a bad thing? Donnie Hale got plenty of time playing as a freshman and Sophmore at New Albany.
Donnie Hale is a stud. Big time player here if he gets stronger.

I agree on Donnie. He's tough. It's one of those things where it got so tiring to hear how he was New Albany's second best big man in that class, even as freshmen, it's tough to take anything like that seriously.

I guess I have just seen him play the select games that he's done well? As far as defense he's switching up on guards at the top of his rotation and staying with them this summer. Like I said I can't comment on what he did through the school year, so I can't make any judgement on that. All I can say is that I've seen him twice this spring (about 5 games), and he's playing extremely well in the 3,4, and 5 spots. much faster, and running the floor better than last year. He is being watched by a few mid majors according to his summer coach, Sherron Wilkerson. I spoke to him after one of their games in Fort Wayne recently. He has had several calls on McDaniel.

Hale is definately the real deal right now! He will without a doubt be one of the best 2010 players to come out of the state, but he's being recruited heavily by Purdue from what I hear up North. He has already had several conversations with Painter, and they look for a committment from Hale soon. He still has to develop some range to play Big 10 basketall, but given a couple years in Painters system, and I'm sure that's not going to be an issue for long. Hales summer team is struggling big time though, He and R.J. Mahurin should examine other options.

I've not had a chance to see Anderson play much this summer, but will be watching for Mileys "Jammers" team in July. They have a great group of Terre Haute players on that team, and are always well coached. Anderson looks more comfortable in the 3 spot though from what I have seen. Not a big fan of contact, but with his range he doesn't need to be. Anderson is getting sniffs from several small D-1 programs right now, but like all 2010 players, everyone is waiting for July I guess????

There are some great guards in the 2010 class as well, hopefully ISU can watch some of the guards over the summer from this class! Hard to find "true" point guards now days, everyone wants to shoot the rock instead of dropping the dime!

I guess I have just seen him play the select games that he's done well? As far as defense he's switching up on guards at the top of his rotation and staying with them this summer. Like I said I can't comment on what he did through the school year, so I can't make any judgement on that. All I can say is that I've seen him twice this spring (about 5 games), and he's playing extremely well in the 3,4, and 5 spots. much faster, and running the floor better than last year. He is being watched by a few mid majors according to his summer coach, Sherron Wilkerson. I spoke to him after one of their games in Fort Wayne recently. He has had several calls on McDaniel.

Hale is definately the real deal right now! He will without a doubt be one of the best 2010 players to come out of the state, but he's being recruited heavily by Purdue from what I hear up North. He has already had several conversations with Painter, and they look for a committment from Hale soon. He still has to develop some range to play Big 10 basketall, but given a couple years in Painters system, and I'm sure that's not going to be an issue for long. Hales summer team is struggling big time though, He and R.J. Mahurin should examine other options.

I have a hard time believing McDaniel gets much run at the 3. Faster than what?

I had a chance to speak with Coach Wilkerson two weekends ago. I'm not sure everyone is on the same page.

Dylan has made strides in improving his athleticism this year, but still has a ways to get to where he would like to be. I would like to think that only being 16 years old he still has more than enough time to get into the physical condition that he needs to be in before he graduates in 2010. He has been working more on his POST portion of the game this year under the direction of his coach. He has received information from the following colleges, Lehigh in PA, William and Mary in VA, IPFW in Ft. Wayne, IN and Bethel in Northern Indiana. He has received an invitation to the Elite Camp at Lehigh in Bethlehem, PA at the end of this month.
Donnie Hale continues to grow in skill and athletic ability, and has several outstanding offers from major D-1 programs. I do know he has solid offers from Xavier, ISU and Purdue at this time, with several others making invitations to their elite camps at the end of this month. He isn’t leaning in any direction as far as I am aware at this time, and still examining every opportunity. I do know for a fact that he would like to stay close to home. He is working very hard on adding some size over the summer. He is about 6’8” 190 lbs at this time.
The two are doing very well at New Albany in their summer season. They look great together on the floor and play very strong together. Their individual styles compliment each other to say the least. The New Albany team only had 5 Seniors last year with only 4 receiving playing time. This year they will have 3 Seniors returning, with the rest being Juniors and Sophomores.
New Albany always plays an aggressive summer schedule, averaging around 40 games during the month of June. There is no comparing these two, they are different style players in my opinion.

A little video of this kid...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFBC0BORHHk[/ame]

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

And another...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ5fNcvk2Hc[/ame]

:meditate::sycamores::meditate:

Back