'10 IN RB Shakir Bell (Indiana State Verbal)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Over under on his rushing totals next season? Will be interesting to see how the line plays and if it allows him to have another monster year.

I'm predicting rushing yards down just a little, but about the same amount of TDs. They have to find a way to spell him with another back that can take some of the load. It's so key to keeping him healthy through the season. So, I'm going with 1430 yards and 16 TDs.

Shakir threw up a post on Twitter today that the coaches stopped him at 600 lbs on the squat. Here he is at 555:

Ummm he made that look fairly easy... lol Trent Richardson for Alabama last year had one of the best squats in all of college football at 600 lbs. last year - so he's in good company.

Last edited:
Tom James tweeted out that he heard Shakir may be getting signed by Edmonton in the CFL. Couldn't find anything on their newspaper but good for him if he can get a shot. Hopefully he will make the most of it.

Good for Shakir. I hope he makes it. The CFL is a passing league, but a player with Shakir's skill set can still thrive. Thinking Kory Sheets from two years ago.

Also probably doesn't hurt Shakir sitting down and resting his body for a year.

Shakir Bell Impressive in Early Workouts in Edmonton

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...+football+tryout+training/10995051/story.html

"Running back Shakir Bell fit the mould that Hervey and Jones like so much for their running backs. What he lacks in height, he makes up for in quickness, power and athleticism. A massive leg cramp ended the Indiana State product’s Day 2 workout early, but Hervey, Jones and new running backs coach Craig Davoren were already impressed with what they had seen. They’ll be looking at his ability to protect the quarterback at training camp."

Will be watching TSN on June 13th from my cottage in Canada and rooting for Shakir in the preseaon game for Edmonton against visiting Saskatchawan!

The fact that they only had two running backs on the roster tells you a lot about how different the CFL is. If you look at their league stats the most rushing attempts a player had last season was 192. And they play 18 regular season games. Three downs, the wider field, more players on the field, it all works against the running game. That said, I also think it's a league where a player with Shakir's skillset can excel.

Here is another interesting difference in the CFL that I don't think most American fans are aware of. I think "nimble" describes Bell pretty well.

In Canadian football, the distance between the line of scrimmage and the defensive team is a full yard. Because of this one-yard distance, teams will tend to gamble on third and one. If a team has possession within one yard of either goal line, the line of scrimmage is moved to the one-yard line.[7]

In American football, the set distance between the offensive and defensive teams is eleven inches – the length of the ball, creating the illusion of the teams being "nose-to-nose" against each other.

While large, relatively immobile offensive line players used to form a line that cannot be easily penetrated by the defense are valued in American football, the extra distance from the defensive team means Canadian football finds value in more nimble athletes.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_Canadian_football

Last edited:

Bell's Statistics in First Exhibition Game

Edmonton defeated Saskatchewan, 31-24. Shakir gained 15 yards on three carries (the longest being 9 yards) and caught three passes for 20 yards (the longest reception being 13 yards). Chad Simpson, the former Colt who was listed as Bell's backup running back, gained 53 yards on five carries to lead the team

Stats do not tell the whole story ..as with the NFL different units played during a preseason game .... when Simpson was in there was a different Qb and different lineman .... I think the announce said there were 86 in camp and I think 56 make the team ... once Shakir left he did not re=enter the game ... time will tell

Last edited:
Shakir's stats from edmonton second pre-season game:

EDM Rushing
Name No Yards Lg TD
BELL, S 5 54 15 0
SIMPSON, C 8 26 7 0
FRANKLIN, J 2 12 11 0
MITCHELL, B 1 9 9 0
NICHOLS, M 1 4 4 0
MCCARTY, C 1 3 3 0
LYNCH, J 2 3 2 0

Stats also don't tell the full story because RBs are asked to do some different things in the CFL. In the CFL, RBs don't typically get 20-30 carries per game. They don't run that much.

Back