'11 IN PF Robert Goff (Marshall Verbal)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
1245933633.gif

Power forward
Indianapolis (IN) Indianapolis Broad Ripple
AAU: Spiece Select

Ht: 6-foot-9
Wt: 235 lbs

Profiles: ESPN | Rivals | Scout

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Goff is said to favor IU, Purdue, Eastern Kentucky and Ashland University, however he only holds offers from Indiana State and East Tennessee State.

Robert is a long, athletic forward. He can play a face up game or with his back to the basket. He is very active and aggressive, particularly on the offensive boards. He plays with a lot of energy. Robert possesses a nice set of hands and is an efficient finisher around the bucket. The athletic forward can also block some shots. He can put the ball on the floor, but that’s not the strength of his game. Robert loves to shoot jumpers from the free throw line, but struggled to convert on them on this day (one of those shots was even blocked). Although he was able to score inside, he would also benefit by getting deeper position in the low post. Robert is still a developing prospect, but he still had an impact during this game. If he can score more with his back to the basket or show some more perimeter skills, the high majors should come calling.

Source: CAAInsider.com

Very good player, but one major problem. The poor guy probably can't even spell "NCAA," let alone have any chance of getting through the Clearinghouse. I don't mean that as some type of insult, because he IS a nice guy and a great player...but seriously, he's really going to struggle. Purdue is trying to get him to Vincennes or to one of the JUCOs in Illinois that Painter has worked with before during his SIU days. They hope to grab him after he's Div. I eligible in a couple of years. ISU's best bet will be to steal him out of Purdue's hands at that point.

Basically, if the guy DOES end up being eligible to play next year, I can GUARANTEE that either his high school went back and doctored his transcripts to raise his GPA or his college made "special accomodations" for him when he took the ACT or SAT (or both).

Two players who stood out for the IU team haven't committed to the school. Ray McCallum Jr., who will be a sophomore at Bloomington North High School, had 21 points and Broad Ripple senior Robert Goff had 18. Both said they have IU on their lists of potential schools. Goff said his leaders are IU and Purdue.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007708090502
This was from back in August. It does appear he will be holding out for Purdue or IU.

Very good player, but one major problem. The poor guy probably can't even spell "NCAA," let alone have any chance of getting through the Clearinghouse. I don't mean that as some type of insult, because he IS a nice guy and a great player...but seriously, he's really going to struggle. Purdue is trying to get him to Vincennes or to one of the JUCOs in Illinois that Painter has worked with before during his SIU days. They hope to grab him after he's Div. I eligible in a couple of years. ISU's best bet will be to steal him out of Purdue's hands at that point.

Basically, if the guy DOES end up being eligible to play next year, I can GUARANTEE that either his high school went back and doctored his transcripts to raise his GPA or his college made "special accomodations" for him when he took the ACT or SAT (or both).
That's unfortunate. Good luck to the kid if he does go the JUCO or Prep School route.

Given the "diversity" of his school list (E. KY & Asland), I thought that other "issues" might've been clouding this story.

"IU, Purdue, Eastern Kentucky and Ashland University". I agree with Bankshot. There's quite a drop in not only Basketball prowess, but academic requirements as well between the first two schools and the second two. I suspect the concerns about his grades are true.

Just an update, but he is now considered class of 2010. He is currently at Cowley County C.C. in Arkansas City, KS.

Look for some of the teams in Ohio to target Goff if they lose out on the Adrien Payne sweepstakes (he's a highly touted Ohio kid that is looking to stay local). He'd be a nice short term solution for any team, including the Sycamores.

Look for some of the teams in Ohio to target Goff if they lose out on the Adrien Payne sweepstakes (he's a highly touted Ohio kid that is looking to stay local). He'd be a nice short term solution for any team, including the Sycamores.

His past academic issues worry me to be quite honest.

Robert Goff

Robert Goff would be my primary recruit for 2010-11 season. He is exactly what we need. Athletic, huge upside never started playing ball until four years ago. From Ripple. Comes very close in touching the top of the backboard. This is the one kid I have wanted State for some time. Grades struggle, no question, that's why he's at a junior college. Let's get him here and let's see what kind of academic supervisors we have. He what we need, and I don't think he is leaning any way. I know I will talk to his high school coach. We are laying some nice pieces to the puzzle. I enjoy listening to you people. You guys are pretty knowledgable.

Currently rated a 3-Star recruit on rivals.com. Offers from ISU, East TN St., and interest from Dayton, IU, Purdue, and some other mids.

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

Goff was on Xavier's campus yesterday for a visit. I'm told he will be visitng ISU in the next couple of weeks.

I'm glad to see us going up against some of the more "hefty" competition for recruits. You'll never get a blue-chipper if you don't try because you know you'll lose. Sometimes, it just takes one stellar player to drive a program to national prominence.

I'm not saying Goff is that player, I just like to see us recruiting against the "big boys."

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

Robert Goff would be my primary recruit for 2010-11 season. He is exactly what we need. Athletic, huge upside never started playing ball until four years ago. From Ripple. Comes very close in touching the top of the backboard. This is the one kid I have wanted State for some time. Grades struggle, no question, that's why he's at a junior college. Let's get him here and let's see what kind of academic supervisors we have. He what we need, and I don't think he is leaning any way. I know I will talk to his high school coach. We are laying some nice pieces to the puzzle. I enjoy listening to you people. You guys are pretty knowledgable.

He doesn't strike me as having much offensive game. But I he hustles and does well on the boards. He's definitely a piece to put in the puzzle.

Back