2021-2022 Around the Valley Season Thread

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

To each his own.

Never said anything about how I want to stop him from “living out his life” or anything else. All I said was I’m turning the volume wayyyyyyy down.

I just can’t stand to listen to him broadcast a game, can’t stand to listen to him defend crooked coaches because he is friends with him.

if that makes me a bad person so be it. I never said I was a good one and I’ve been called much worse

to be clear - didn’t call you a bad person or much worse. So we can just move on now - didn’t say anything close to it.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The other major takeaway I had from last night is how "points of emphasis" in our league do not translate to HM games. There was 1 illegal screen called all night and it was only called as a makeup call for a carry call the previous possession. Outside of that, guys were moving, shoving their ass out, even holding and it was never called. Same thing for offenders dipping their shoulders and bullying in the paint. I can only recall maybe one offensive foul called and it was in transition.

As an aside, UCLA fans were complaining about the refs but I thought the refs were calling fouls for UCLA and not for Gonzaga to keep it closer than it should have been. That was likely going to be a 40 point less if it weren't for that. At one point, Few crouched down and was talking to the sideline ref and kept mouthing "9 to 0, 9 to 0, 9 to 0" because at that point in the 2nd half, Gonzaga had been called for 9 fouls and zero for UCLA and both teams were uber physical and aggressive on both ends. Had UCLA not started fouling towards the end of the game (still down 20 which made no sense), it would have been a significant disparity.
I'd like to see Holmgren against Purdue and their 7'4" monster & the 6'10" Williams, who would likely treat him like a gnat. As far as NBA, it helps to have a lil' bit of meat protecting those bones. Yes, Kernan & he are similarly built, but that's where the comparison ends. Any idea who recruited him to ISU in 2001?

Does anyone else think they have loosened the travel calls some. I see guys shifting their feet and moving their pivot foot before they start dribbling.

Does anyone else think they have loosened the travel calls some. I see guys shifting their feet and moving their pivot foot before they start dribbling.

Yes - I’ve very much noticed this and I absolutely H A T E it. But does seem to be a point of emphasis - perhaps an unspoken point maybe. Something to keep an eye on!

I'd like to see Holmgren against Purdue and their 7'4" monster & the 6'10" Williams, who would likely treat him like a gnat. As far as NBA, it helps to have a lil' bit of meat protecting those bones. Yes, Kernan & he are similarly built, but that's where the comparison ends. Any idea who recruited him to ISU in 2001?

I think he'd fare well. He made multiple moves last night that no 7 foot dude has the business of making. Gonzaga would find a way to get him in space and take both of those guys off the dribble. Defensively, he would likely get rag dolled but he'd fight. The two bigs from UCLA beat him to piss last night and he never once backed down and blocked or effected their shot quite a bit.

You're just noticing this NOW?

Been going on for years, a decade plus

Yeah I’m just noticing this NOW. You got a problem with that?

4q I commented on it only because sycamorebacker brought it up. I’ve noticed it more this year than in the past.

But I’m not sure the timing of when I noticed it has to do with anything? I’m an idiot what can I say. They’ve always called the travel pretty consistently in my opinion - certain things like the Euro Step have become part of the game - sure. But they’ve never allowed much wiggle room with your pivot foot. They seem to be really ignoring a lot of shuffling of the feet.

I know you’re not really here for a discussion or to hear anyone out… You just wanted to point out how s l o w I am. But Meistro is right about palming the ball - hell kids these days don’t even know what that is. It’s rarely if ever called - kind of like 3 seconds in the lane.

Last edited:
"Sanctuary Hoop," where law & order varies from each possession and ball handler. Look no further than the NBA and it's infusion of Euro hoop stars to see the genesis of this trend. Of course the NCAA P5ers (who recruit most of these SH boyz), serve to solidify these trends. Yes, it's destroying the game, but w/ U-Tube & TV propounding these acrobatics, what can ya do?

Well I mean I don’t think TV and Youtube have as great of an influence as you think… Before that when I was growing up we had And1MixTapes - trust me I’d rather my kids watch basketball highlights or whatever on YouTube than And1MixTapes.

But that’s neither here nor there. Watching Auburn UCONN last night the separation between the P5’s and mid majors has never been so clear to me - it’s always been a huge separation gap. But the mid majors ability to compete (forget winning) is more difficult than ever before.

I don’t watch TikTok so Inhave no idea. But sure - access is no doubt much more prevalent today then 10 or 20 years ago. No doubt
Here's another Tik Tok video which shows how disadvantaged a perimeter defender can be when "palming" is overlooked by officials:

Well I mean I don’t think TV and Youtube have as great of an influence as you think… Before that when I was growing up we had And1MixTapes - trust me I’d rather my kids watch basketball highlights or whatever on YouTube than And1MixTapes.

But that’s neither here nor there. Watching Auburn UCONN last night the separation between the P5’s and mid majors has never been so clear to me - it’s always been a huge separation gap. But the mid majors ability to compete (forget winning) is more difficult than ever before.
You are so right. That's why I didn't feel so bad when we lost to PU. I've noticed too, there is so much height 1-5 in some of these teams.
It's very difficult for a "normal" size guard to drive all the way to the hoop. If I was a guard now I would be practicing the 10 foot bank shot.

I don't know how much of a factor the extra year is for some of these teams. I suppose the average age is going to be elevated for the next 3 years.

I don't know what 4Q is talking about. I think in past years they've called travel pretty close. But I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder - like the charge/block call.
The calls that drive me crazy are when the defense plays on the ball defense perfectly and the O player pushes them off and the D is called for the foul.

Back