2022-2023 Schedule

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
My non-con scheduling wish list:

Iowa
Iowa State
Illinois
Indiana
Indiana Northwest
Indiana, PA
Indiana Wesleyan
Idaho
Idaho State
Idaho A&M
Idaho Tech
Idaho again
Baylor

Hooper

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Do NOT schedule USI. This only gives them more credibility. They could probably beat us and I for one don't want to lose to two schools a year in Evansville. I imagine IU and Purdue fans feel the same way in playing us. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Looks like HCJS didn't get your memo.

eagletree

The Sycamore Level
As far as I am concerned this is a big mistake on the part of ISU. This is a no win situation. I would prefer to lose to Purdue four years in a row than ever losing to USI. We are in a huge recruiting war with USI. No, not for athletes but for students! USI has grown from a branch campus of ours to our biggest competitor for students. Who would have ever thought that they would have a larger enrollment than us? As of now no one chooses to go to USI because they grew up a Screaming Eagle fan, but there are students in the Wabash Valley who grew up as Sycamore fans because of their parents. I understand playing them, maybe, every few years because of the cost savings, but not a long term contract. Could be totally wrong, but I think this will end up hurting ISU in the long run.

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
As far as I am concerned this is a big mistake on the part of ISU. This is a no win situation. I would prefer to lose to Purdue four years in a row than ever losing to USI. We are in a huge recruiting war with USI. No, not for athletes but for students! USI has grown from a branch campus of ours to our biggest competitor for students. Who would have ever thought that they would have a larger enrollment than us? As of now no one chooses to go to USI because they grew up a Screaming Eagle fan, but there are students in the Wabash Valley who grew up as Sycamore fans because of their parents. I understand playing them, maybe, every few years because of the cost savings, but not a long term contract. Could be totally wrong, but I think this will end up hurting ISU in the long run.
I agree but if it replaces a non d1 then I’m all for it. Let’s keep that down to 1 non-d1 a year.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
You’re over thinking it. It’s just a game on our schedule.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Here’s our non-con schedule…without dates and in no particular order…

@Miami Ohio
Northern Illinois
Ball State
North Dakota State
@USI
Green Bay
@Power Five
Non-D1
Three Games Gulf Coast Showcase

Sycamorefan96

The All-American Level

@Miami Ohio
Northern Illinois
Ball State
North Dakota State
@USI
Green Bay
@Power Five
Non-D1
This is the best NC schedule we've had in a long time. MAC Schools, NDSU, USI, and UWGB are all good games for us to schedule. I didn't know NDSU was going to be on the schedule again, but I'm glad that they are.

EvilleSycamore

The Blue Level
Supporter
I agree but if it replaces a non d1 then I’m all for it. Let’s keep that down to 1 non-d1 a year.
I would call USI a glorified D-2 program as they haven’t even played a game yet at the D-1 level. Besides, they are one of the landing schools for ISU basketball outcasts over the past few years.

letsgoAces

The White Level
I think the USI game with ISU makes a lot of sense. Proximity is great, D1, could very well end up a rivalry game if USI has some success at the D-1 level. To be sure, it benefits USI more than ISU.

The Sycamores played in the College Division before they transitioned to D-1, so the notion of USI as a "glorified d-2 program" seems out of sorts. Yeah....they are in a transitional period, and they will take lumps...lots of them. But they are Division 1. They have a lot of pluses going for them, including a lot of graduates who continue to live in southern Indiana. They could surprise in time. I don't expect most on this forum to agree with me, but with the problem of scheduling which exist for mid-majors, playing USI is not as bad as choice as some might believe.

treeman

The Renn Level

@Miami Ohio
Northern Illinois
Ball State
North Dakota State
@USI
Green Bay
@Power Five
Non-D1
That's a pretty nice schedule for us right there for where we are at as a program. Not a lot of meat on the bones but consistent solid matchups that aren't gimmes but aren't beatdowns eithers. Every game is a regional game depending on that p5. The only gripe I have is the USI deal; I don't care that we are playing them I think they will be on our schedule more years than not from now on. But I think if it's a 4 year deal, 3 of those games should be at Hulman. But then again Schertz probably doesn't mind going down to the Ohio River valley for recruiting purposes.

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
Basically some people want to treat USI the way IU treats ISU…

am i reading things correctly? lol
No, ISU was never part of Gloomington, ISU doesn't pull many students/recruits, from Gloomington's ranks and it's been decades since ISU was d2

Situations are wholly different

bigsportsfan

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
That's a pretty nice schedule for us right there for where we are at as a program. Not a lot of meat on the bones but consistent solid matchups that aren't gimmes but aren't beatdowns eithers. Every game is a regional game depending on that p5. The only gripe I have is the USI deal; I don't care that we are playing them I think they will be on our schedule more years than not from now on. But I think if it's a 4 year deal, 3 of those games should be at Hulman. But then again Schertz probably doesn't mind going down to the Ohio River valley for recruiting purposes.
I hope we start showing more interest in Indiana kids. When Coop and Voss are done after this year, we will have zero Hoosier players unless we sign some new ones. Inexcusable.

pbutler218

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
I hope we start showing more interest in Indiana kids. When Coop and Voss are done after this year, we will have zero Hoosier players unless we sign some new ones. Inexcusable.
We have shown interest in Indiana kids. We offered two current Indiana All-Stars early on in Conwell and Edwards. Wish we could have landed at least one of them. They just kicked butt against Kentucky All-Stars.

FanSinceArenaDays

The Sycamore Level
Most Indiana kids, not all, think they are better than they are. If they are offered & sign elsewhere so be it. Best bet is when they wash out somewhere else ISU can pick them up in the transfer portal sometime in their next 4-5 years if still interested in their talents....... que sera sera. How many Indiana kids were in this past year's Final-4 or Final-8 or sweet 16 even? Where players are from has no bearing anymore with immediate eligibility available to them and besides IU or PU always gets the pick of the litter.

bigsportsfan

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Most Indiana kids, not all, think they are better than they are. If they are offered & sign elsewhere so be it. Best bet is when they wash out somewhere else ISU can pick them up in the transfer portal sometime in their next 4-5 years if still interested in their talents....... que sera sera. How many Indiana kids were in this past year's Final-4 or Final-8 or sweet 16 even? Where players are from has no bearing anymore with immediate eligibility available to them and besides IU or PU always gets the pick of the litter.
I just like the superior fundamental strength and bb is our kids have, and the fact that the few good teams we’ve had in my lifetime have all been led by Indiana kids. Coach came here saying he wanted to be in Indiana because of our high school pipeline of talent. Just seems odd that whenever I see us give offers they’re all going out of state. Benter seems like the only one we’ve offered lately. I’ve seen kids like Mack Smith and Kobe Webster not be the “pick of the litter” and have more success at out of state schools than people we have imported. Maybe they didn’t want to come here. We could at least try.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I just like the superior fundamental strength and bb is our kids have, and the fact that the few good teams we’ve had in my lifetime have all been led by Indiana kids. Coach came here saying he wanted to be in Indiana because of our high school pipeline of talent. Just seems odd that whenever I see us give offers they’re all going out of state. Benter seems like the only one we’ve offered lately. I’ve seen kids like Mack Smith and Kobe Webster not be the “pick of the litter” and have more success at out of state schools than people we have imported. Maybe they didn’t want to come here. We could at least try.
Do you know that we’re not trying? I’m guessing, pure speculation, that the staff isn’t going to spend a bunch of resources on kids who haven’t shown any interest or who tell us early that they’re not interested.

I doubt that the staff just isn’t interested in Indiana kids.