2022-23 Around The Valley

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Murray State up 75-66 on #24 Texas A&M, 3:34, hope they hang on to help the MVC!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Murray State hangs on for the win! Massive win for the new MVC members tonight! 1st win over a top 25 team in 10 years, good for them!

MVC will never have multiple bids again. Especially with the weak additions of Valpo and UIC. This conference went downhill when Wichita and Creighton left. It's never gonna be the same. Those 2 brought some of the biggest crowds to the HC since the Bird and Menser days.
The MVC should have added NKU instead of UIC. NKU has been a top 2 team in the Horizon League pretty much every year since they joined the HL, while UIC has consistently been below average. NKU also invested in a super nice arena not too long ago. They also just beat Cincinnati by 13 the other night, and play in a state / region that demands high quality college basketball.

The problem is that the MVC office is too fixated on Chicago. I'm not sure we ever had a team from there before Loyola was added, and now the league acts like it can't survive without a Chicago presence.

Another problem is that no one in Chicago cares about UIC or Loyola. Cook County has 5 million people living there and those two schools only drew 3500 when they played each other a week ago.

The MVC should have added NKU instead of UIC. NKU has been a top 2 team in the Horizon League pretty much every year since they joined the HL, while UIC has consistently been below average. NKU also invested in a super nice arena not too long ago. They also just beat Cincinnati by 13 the other night, and play in a state / region that demands high quality college basketball.

The problem is that the MVC office is too fixated on Chicago. I'm not sure we ever had a team from there before Loyola was added, and now the league acts like it can't survive without a Chicago presence.

Another problem is that no one in Chicago cares about UIC or Loyola. Cook County has 5 million people living there and those two schools only drew 3500 when they played each other a week ago.
First, I agree about Chicago, from a philosophical standpoint. But this is all about media deals. Granted, ours isn't large by any stretch of the imagination, but adding Chicago schools opens up millions of households from a media standpoint.

Now, I would think that NKU would achieve the same thing with the Cincinnati/Louisville metro, but I doubt that is anywhere near the size of Chicago.

So from a basketball standpoint, I think you're right. But the actual sports teams never impact the decision to add schools to a conference anymore. It's all about households.

First, I agree about Chicago, from a philosophical standpoint. But this is all about media deals. Granted, ours isn't large by any stretch of the imagination, but adding Chicago schools opens up millions of households from a media standpoint.

Now, I would think that NKU would achieve the same thing with the Cincinnati/Louisville metro, but I doubt that is anywhere near the size of Chicago.

So from a basketball standpoint, I think you're right. But the actual sports teams never impact the decision to add schools to a conference anymore. It's all about households.
I understand your point and the league's thinking, but the MVC's thinking here is flawed in my view. They are sacrificing quality for markets, which makes the league as a whole weaker. If the MVC would 100% focus on basketball quality and fan support in expansion, the media deals will take care of themselves, because people will tune into a good product that they actually want to watch. In the case of Chicago I think you could reasonably argue that Valpo is in that market. They are certainly in the Chicago Metropolitan Area, so I'm not sure why they felt like they needed UIC.

All the MVC has to do is look at the Horizon League and they'll realize these markets don't move the needle much at all for mid major basketball. The HL has schools in the major markets of Milwaukee, Detroit, Cincy, Dayton, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Indianapolis (did have Chicago); and it hasn't done much for them.

Buffalo vs drake underway on espn3. Drake and Belmont in the same mte so there’s a chance they play each other there. Decent opportunities for both teams in this mte. Hopefully one of the mvc teams can win it.

And Murray State follows up their win over Texas A&M with a loss to Umass on a buzzer beater three.

Forgot Gillespie is at Tarleton State. Wondered why the hell they had kids that looked long and athletic.

Last edited:
Belmont down 44-31 at the break. They don't like to be guarded aggressively. Not very solid defending the break, either.

They're not gonna like us then.

Probably not. Tarleton just killed them with the same sort of positionless ball but we've been cleaner than they played. They forced a ton of Belmont TOs in that first half so if we come out and punch them in the mouth, we'll be fine. They also won without shooting the 3 that much. I can't recall more than a handful of hits.

Back