2022 redshirt deadline??????

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

‘Backer speak for yourself, but I’m guess something got lost is translation here. When ‘backer originally referred to Martion as “POY”, we’re you saying that about Missouri POY or MVC POY? Just might help to clarify that.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I think the main reason we are even considering redshirts is because there are 16 dudes on this roster. I definitely wonder how that all works out and if coach ever gets that many in the future. I know I’ve heard that some coaches don’t like giving 13 scholarships because roster spots 11-13 mostly get Mop up duty anyways. If Schertz has something in Miller and Holmes then it might be a genius stash move for coach. otherwise, it kind of feels like there’s too many mouths to feed.

also, I think Schertz mentioned in the tribune star article about McKnight & Miller that Miller was supposed to redshirt but it wasn’t even an option for some reason. I need to go back and check though.

I keep seeing Miller mentioned. Can you redshirt a walk-on?

Redshirting is really for players to maintain their eligibility but has been used as a "team option" for years. Players have 5 (or 6 with a waiver) to play 4. So yeah, a walk-on can preserve a year of their eligibility and since Miller has already played at the D2 level, his clock is running.

I think the main reason we are even considering redshirts is because there are 16 dudes on this roster. I definitely wonder how that all works out and if coach ever gets that many in the future. I know I’ve heard that some coaches don’t like giving 13 scholarships because roster spots 11-13 mostly get Mop up duty anyways. If Schertz has something in Miller and Holmes then it might be a genius stash move for coach. otherwise, it kind of feels like there’s too many mouths to feed.

also, I think Schertz mentioned in the tribune star article about McKnight & Miller that Miller was supposed to redshirt but it wasn’t even an option for some reason. I need to go back and check though.

I've never seen a program not use their allotted 13 scholarships. They are use them or lose them counters. You would be an awful coach if you wasted resources.

Now I'm wondering if he is going to sign more than 6 (including the walkons) and do a little cleaning in the spring. I can't think of too many candidates for that.

I've never seen a program not use their allotted 13 scholarships. They are use them or lose them counters. You would be an awful coach if you wasted resources.
i agree. I don’t think it would ever happen but I can see the rationality. The last 3-4 roster spots for a lot of schools are typically filled with players who are coming and going after 1-2 seasons.

i like Schertz approach where it doesn’t seem like he fears that at all with this group. Even though he knows it’s extremely likely in d1. On the surface, it feels like he’s brought in guys who want to be here. I know it’s just preseason cliche but I feel good when wearing these rose colored glasses.

crawford came here with the understanding that he was probably going to redshirt. Miller was apparently being recruited by other d1 schools (drake was one of them) but originally planned on redshirting here. I think Schertz has whatever it takes to challenge the doubts we have about whether good players would be willing to wait their turn at indiana state.

I am a little late to the party here but what a strange thread...

I would probably not consider redshirting anyone but Martin or Avila. If he thinks they might struggle for mins. because as Dino mentioned only enough minutes to go around then you have to really consider doing so as these two players based on HS accolade alones appear to be the most likely to help your program long term. If you don't play them bulk mins. you kind of waste a year that you won't be able to get back.

That said - given the changes in college basketball I am not sure you redshirt either one. If things are going to continue to be fluid and it's going to become a revolving door then I think you kind of want to just get them in and get them out... You run the risk of allowing a player to sit out a year (tie up a scholarship) to develop and by the time he gets to truly realize that ability he hits the portal for greener pastures. Like it's not even worth having them redshirt on your watch if the program isn't going to benefit from 4 years of eligibility. Maybe it's just a risk some will be willing to take - but I'm a hard pass if it's my program. Those that fail to adjust will find themselves out of a job.

And now to those suggesting Hobbs and Crawford? I'm perplexed at this... Why would you want a scholarship tied up an additional year for either one of those guys? What in the hell have they showed us so far that would suggest they are Championship winning pieces? Hobbs can't defend and he's a minus athlete. Crawford has yet to show that he can be a consistent offensive threat and is literally a 5-12 mins. a night type of bench player. Why would you ever consider a RS for either one of those guys?

Last edited:
And now to those suggesting Hobbs and Crawford? I'm perplexed at this... Why would you want a scholarship tied up an additional year for either one of those guys? What in the hell have they showed us so far that would suggest they are Championship winning pieces? Hobbs can't defend and he's a minus athlete. Crawford has yet to show that he can be a consistent offensive threat and is literally a 5-12 mins. a night type of bench player. Why would you ever consider a RS for either one of those guys?
I wont make a case for Hobbs but Crawford makes sense to me as a possible redshirt.

Reasons why he wouldn’t redshirt:
1. He might not want to.

reasons why he *MIGHT* consider redshirting. I don’t know how likely it is but I think I can make it make sense. In no particular order:

1. There’s probably 2-3 guys in front of him no matter what “position” you want to consider him at.

2. He might not want to use another year of eligibility playing spot minutes.

3. he’s committed to playing at indiana state long term and knows that his best/most productive years are more in the future than now because of a lack of available minutes.

4. If redshirting is even a tiny possibility then Bledson would have a ton of insight to help Crawford make whatever decision is best for him and the team.

5. Crawford was already anticipating redshirting last season so you can’t say he’s never been open to the concept.

Saw a team photo of Tennessee basketball team with Tyreke Key and there are EIGHTEEN players in the pic. How can they have that many players?? Good luck getting PT on that roster.

Saw a team photo of Tennessee basketball team with Tyreke Key and there are EIGHTEEN players in the pic. How can they have that many players?? Good luck getting PT on that roster.
Apparently they are returning 4 of their top 5 scorers plus some talented freshman and Key! Some of those guys might consider redshirting. lol

Crawford played last year more out of necessity due to lack of depth and uncertainty of who would be available with Covid. I think he would have redshirted last year under different circumstances.
Also, I believe Cam Henry may have redshirted AFTER his freshman year @ LM. If JS thinks Crawford is a big part of the future, but won’t see the minutes with our depth 1 through 3 this year, then he could recommend redshirt. This is offseason speculation…

And no way should Hobbs redshirt.

I am going to go out on a limb based on what I saw in limited action last year and tell you that Cam Crawford is not a "big" part of the future of this program. He's a piece - but he's not an All Valley player. And unless you have the potential to develop into an All Valley player then you shouldn't be in the discussion for a redshirt. A lot of conversation in this thread about the player having the choice... Typically, yes they have a choice when the coach tells them that they'd like to redshirt them and the player can say yes or naa... But they don't have much choice in the matter if the coach never offers it. In this case - based on what I have seen I don't think Crawford should redshirt. Seems like a good kid. Think he will play hard. Think he has some tools to be a nice role player. Not a game breaker.

I am going to go out on a limb based on what I saw in limited action last year and tell you that Cam Crawford is not a "big" part of the future of this program. He's a piece - but he's not an All Valley player. And unless you have the potential to develop into an All Valley player then you shouldn't be in the discussion for a redshirt. A lot of conversation in this thread about the player having the choice... Typically, yes they have a choice when the coach tells them that they'd like to redshirt them and the player can say yes or naa... But they don't have much choice in the matter if the coach never offers it. In this case - based on what I have seen I don't think Crawford should redshirt. Seems like a good kid. Think he will play hard. Think he has some tools to be a nice role player. Not a game breaker.
I disagree on Crawfords potential. I’m not a scout but I believe he should be a breakout player once hes ready and finally gets the opportunity. I don’t expect much production this year but he probably would see a huge jump in minutes next year and the year after. His highlights are good. Whatever those lowlights are that sent him to the bench can probably be improved upon.

He doesn’t need to be all valley but he probably has a better opportunity to get there if he’s a 5 year player instead of four. Not my decision so I wouldn’t care anyways. If Crawford plays 4 years here then he would likely have disappointing counting stats in the first 2 years. He’d then be a potential starter/rotational piece in his last 2 years because of the emphasis on continuity. My prediction is that he will develop into a good player down the road if he chooses to stick around long term.

I disagree on Crawfords potential. I’m not a scout but I believe he should be a breakout player once hes ready and finally gets the opportunity. I don’t expect much production this year but he probably would see a huge jump in minutes next year and the year after. His highlights are good. Whatever those lowlights are that sent him to the bench can probably be improved upon.

He doesn’t need to be all valley but he probably has a better opportunity to get there if he’s a 5 year player instead of four. Not my decision so I wouldn’t care anyways. If Crawford plays 4 years here then he would likely have disappointing counting stats in the first 2 years. He’d then be a potential starter/rotational piece in his last 2 years because of the emphasis on continuity. My prediction is that he will develop into a good player down the road if he chooses to stick around long term.

In that case I suppose we will just see how things play out. He wasn't bad... I'm not calling him terrible or anything like that - which I've not been shy to do in the past. Like, when I see terrible I have no problem pointing that out. Honestly, last years roster (even as a Freshman) was a really good opportunity for him to get mins and experience. Even at 11 mins. per game because our lack of depth he was able to get a taste and he was okay at times. His per 40 adjusted numbers again show him to be a piece and not an all Valley level player - not that I'm basing it off that alone.

I mean he's got the length and the build that JS seems to desire. Bulking up a bit if it doesn't hurt his speed probably wouldn't kill him. I'm interested in seeing how far he has come this off-season. But again - I just didn't see enough last year that I would invest long-term.

I agree he didn't show us a ton to be impressed with last year, but i feel his potential is high. He is probably the most athletically gifted player on the team, but he was lost a lot of the time on the floor. Maybe he was just slow to make that transition from high school to D1. If he continues to work his butt off in the weight room as well as on the court he has a chance to be a real good player....but if he is going to be a special player we will need to see a big improvement this season.

I wouldn't say "all-conference" but to me he is athletic enough and I really like his jump shot. There's always a place on the team for someone with is height and athletic ability that can shoot.

Since the first time I saw his length on the floor, I instantly though he could possibly end up like Christian Williams was that last year except I think Crawford has a better shot. Right now I see him as a 7th-8th guy (like a 3rd-4th guard) type that can come in and spur something defensively playing passing lanes and then hit a knockdown corner 3. It's up to him to develop into more.

Since the first time I saw his length on the floor, I instantly though he could possibly end up like Christian Williams was that last year except I think Crawford has a better shot. Right now I see him as a 7th-8th guy (like a 3rd-4th guard) type that can come in and spur something defensively playing passing lanes and then hit a knockdown corner 3. It's up to him to develop into more.
Yes, I agree. I think his minutes will be limited this year but I hope a stays for 2 more years.

I've been watching highlights of last year's games on youtube. Two players that show up in them a lot more than I remember are Bledson and Hobbs.

Back