[Offered/Committed Elsewhere] '23 IN SG Joey Hart (Kentucky)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Wish we emphasized Indiana kids more. Not that we need 100% in-state roster, but this is one who can play for us. He even admits that Ball State has been recruiting him the hardest. Don't understand.

I don't think the staff will waste their time if they've been told a kid is not interested.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Wish we emphasized Indiana kids more. Not that we need 100% in-state roster, but this is one who can play for us. He even admits that Ball State has been recruiting him the hardest. Don't understand.

If he actually goes to Ball State, then your criticism will be valid. My guess is, despite how hard they are recruiting him, he won’t end up in Muncie.

No. His criticism is not valid. Nothing wrong with wanting IN kids, but it's not ok to cherry-pick a recruit and guess at the coaches' effort or the kid's reasons for rejecting or accepting a school with implied criticism.

Not really criticism, just an opinion. Which I hope I’m entitled to (since everyone else is).
Very sorry. I've heard others ask "why didn't we recruit so-and-so" without knowing whether or why the player or our coach were not interested.
In general, without naming players, we all want as many IN players as possible. But, we have to get them where we can.

"wish we emphasized IN kids more" almost sounds like criticism, but I understand what you are saying.
I was mainly directing my response to the view that criticism could be valid.

Not really criticism, just an opinion. Which I hope I’m entitled to (since everyone else is).

Of course. If you see jben's comment above, my guess is he heard something and that's what I was going off of. Probably didn't help that HCJS cut his buddy when he came in but if you look at his IWU stats, it looks to have been the right call.

A couple of other things to add. GL probably signed Hale just to get an edge on getting Hart. So releasing Hale might have hurt any chances of getting Hart. Plus coach Hart was a D1 player at Coastal Carolina. Not sure why he didn’t end up at State, but there’s no other vested interest for his kid to stay local unless it’s his best offer.

Seriously doubt that GL was plotting down the road when his ISU seat had a flame under it. If anything, he was simply appeasing his "Greene Co. Posse"...

I have to disagree Bankshot. Coaches are always thinking short and long term. His departure might have been prevented with an NIT or NCAA birth. Unless there’s some friends in high places in Greene Co, it makes no sense to give a scholly to a guy that can’t see the floor

Of course. If you see jben's comment above, my guess is he heard something and that's what I was going off of. Probably didn't help that HCJS cut his buddy when he came in but if you look at his IWU stats, it looks to have been the right call.
Def doesn't take looking at his IWU stats to see it was the right call lol. Folks around town were so excited when the Hale to ISU rumor mill was heating up. Then I saw a Bryson Carpenter (freshman at the time) lock Hale's ass up at the Classic. That night I saw the light lol.

I have to disagree Bankshot. Coaches are always thinking short and long term. His departure might have been prevented with an NIT or NCAA birth. Unless there’s some friends in high places in Greene Co, it makes no sense to give a scholly to a guy that can’t see the floor
The "proof was in the pudding" when GL left the cupboards bare for JS, as there was no evidence of long term planning by GL, excluding his move to AZ...

My point was that I do not believe the kid will entertain offers from schools like ISU and ball state, BUT if ball state lands him, then I will concede that you were right to criticize State for not putting more time/effort in on him because landing him was clearly a possibility.

Right now I just don’t believe that level of effort is worth it as there isn’t much interest on the part of the young man to go small time at ISU or bsu.

Currently his only "Big Time" offer is Northwestern - and Loyola which is only big-time in their own minds.

IMO we live in a state where most fans would rather see their local "star" be the eight/ninth man at
Purdue, IU, etc. than play significant minutes at BSU, ISU, E-ville, etc. It is difficult for the
mid-major coaches to fight perceptions held by fans and followers.
As for J. Hart, undoubtedly we would love to have him.......but he is walking in tall cotton
and the competition will only get heavier. My question is.......is it worth the energy, when going in
you know it is a long shot.

IMO we live in a state where most fans would rather see their local "star" be the eight/ninth man at
Purdue, IU, etc. than play significant minutes at BSU, ISU, E-ville, etc. It is difficult for the
mid-major coaches to fight perceptions held by fans and followers.
As for J. Hart, undoubtedly we would love to have him.......but he is walking in tall cotton
and the competition will only get heavier. My question is.......is it worth the energy, when going in
you know it is a long shot.
I suppose coaches have to make a judgement on the amount of interest. If you invite him in for a visit and he turns you down, I think you move on. If some of you think it is wise to continue to pursue, okay. But I don't think you can do that if you are recruiting 20 other kids.

if ball state lands him, then I will concede that you were right to criticize State for not putting more time/effort in on him because landing him was clearly a possibility.
I say again, I think this statement is totally not logical. How many times does a kid have to tell you no before you believe him?

A couple of other things to add. GL probably signed Hale just to get an edge on getting Hart. So releasing Hale might have hurt any chances of getting Hart. Plus coach Hart was a D1 player at Coastal Carolina. Not sure why he didn’t end up at State, but there’s no other vested interest for his kid to stay local unless it’s his best offer.

Mega reach… I’d have to go back and check on timing but Hale was offered super early in his own recruiting process and Hart wasn’t getting any attention at that time.

Someone can correct me if my timeline is wrong but GL wasn’t looking for leverage. I mean that’s a good story - but he wasn’t.

As for making “no sense giving a scholarship to a kid that can’t see the floor”… Apparently you didn’t follow GL teams very closely? You wanna play that game I’m your huckleberry.

Lansing and Coach Hart were close friends so we have no chance at getting Joey now. He is the real deal. Think he will go within a few hours drive. He has a large family that are very supportive and will want to drive to see him play. Really would have loved to see him play here because he is a great kid.

Back