AD Prettyman on McKenna, hoops expections

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Tribune-Star: Turning to men?s basketball, it?s very early, but has hiring Kevin McKenna energized the community to the point you hoped it would?

Prettyman: Kevin McKenna has been outstanding. I?ve personally been with him on 30 different occasions interacting with people be it at a golf outing or at a club function. People just gravitate to him. He has a winning mentality, but he?s a very down-to-earth guy who has finger on the pulse of what makes people tick. I believe that?s why he?s a good coach as well. He?s a good family guy ? that?s important to me ? and he?s a good role model for our student-athletes and he?s somebody that I very confident in his ability to run the program. I?m impressed with the staff he?s put together. Greg Lansing and Stan Gouard are quality people our kids had an affinity for. Lou Gudino has coaching experience and is from the community, he?s been a terrific addition. I?m excited to see what comes of it. I know I did my homework in the hiring process, and I?ve heard nothing but positives about his interaction in the community and how he?s perceived and the winning attitude he?ll bring to our program.

Tribune-Star: What are basketball attendance expectations?

Prettyman: We expect it to grow. We?re not only marketing a tremendous new coach and tremendous new players, but Hulman Center will be a great family experience. We?ll have the new scoreboard, we?re considering some things with our mascot issues, we?re adjusting our student section, we?re doing more promotions, there?s several new things happening in our basketball program and I?m excited about those.

I?ll go back to what I said earlier, I need to feel comfortable the program is moving forward. I don?t need stagnant and I don?t need moving backward. I?m not a big believer in making a change and seeing immediate, huge growth, I think the foundation needs to be laid and I think Kevin McKenna and the staff are the right people to lay that foundation. I think we?ll see constant steady growth.

URL: Terre Haute Tribune Star

Proud To Be A Tree

The Varsity Level
Nice and he is right. Folks in Terre Haute need to get off their butt and into the Hulman Center. It isn't like they have a lot of other entertainment options. They sure had no problems showing up when we made it to the NCAA Tourney.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
LMAO. Yeah, I actually was just talking to someone about that. When we were winning, the bandwagon was getting full and then they went poof. I hate bandwagon fans, but this program deserves better.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Or brings in the bandwagon fans by the droves. Whatever works, we just need to get more folks in Hulman Center and more folks supporting the program so we can compete with the others within the MoVal.