All-Time Sycamore team

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

BallyHooHoo

The Sycamore Level
Not sure if this topic has been done, just wanted to get your thoughts. I am a Sycamore Newbie...went to state during the late 90's early 2000's so my list may be bias.

G Micheal Menser
G Nate Green
F Larry Bird
F Terrance Avery
C Jib Kante

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Here is mine:

PG: Michael Menser
SG: Carl Nicks
Wing: John Sherman Williams
Forw: Matt Renn
Forw: Larry Bird
Hard to leave out Nate Green and Jimmy Cruse for me. I bet I would win a few games with these guys!
I know some of the older guys would put Jerry Newsome in there and Duane Kleah. I'm going by who I got to see play quite a bit.
Djibril was good and loved his effort, but not on the list here.

Last edited:
Ten of the Best

Larry Bird
Jerry Newsom
Duane Klueh
Butch Wade
Bobby Royer
Roy Burris
John Sherman Williams
Lenny Rzsezewski
Dick Atha
Howard Dardeen

I think Newsome has to be on any all-time team. He was much better than Renn. I always liked Dan Bush, also. Most posters are putting too much weight on more recent players, which is normal. Some of the older players, like Bush, might struggle defensively in the current MVC, so that makes it tough to compare. I think Nate Green needs to be listed ahead of NIcks and I don't think Menser is our best all-time point guard. We have had some outstanding guards.
These are just my opinions and I think this discussion is interesting, but I don't like having to select an all-time 5. That is really tough and leaves too many great players off.

George Pillow

I've been a Pillow fan for (four/4) decades. The numerous big "V's" during the late 60/early 70's Era under Gordan Stauffer could've never occurred without his influence. I've yet to see a 6'2" F compete INSIDE with the same verocity as Big George from Indy Shortridge H.S. Yes, he altered the shots of many an opponet because of his SWAT proficiency/powerful rebounding/leaping ability.

I'm surprised to see some lists that don't include Williams, who behind Bird was probably the best player in Indiana State history.

Williams, Pillow. Barker, Goddard, Robbins, Dow, Ross

My list has Williams but I am not prepared to say that the 10 I listed are only ones who deserved to me considered on an All-Time Sycamore team.

I like George Pillow, too, but I think teammate Bob Barker belongs in the same category. Ray Goddard, John Robbins, John Dow and Warren Ross deserve mention also

Some more names

I think Williams was an outstanding shooter but he was a 6-5 forward who could not handle the ball well enough to play outside in the pros and was not strong enough to play underneath. Newsom, Wade, and Nicks, in my opinion, are ahead of him. Thouigh from totally different eras, Klueh, Royer, Rzsezewski, Roy Burris, George Chestnut, George Pearcy, Freddie Stelow and Dick Atha must be considered. All but Rzsezewski and Stelow played pro ball and Stelow got killed in a car wreck.

Some more names

I think Williams was an outstanding shooter but he was a 6-5 forward who could not handle the ball well enough to play outside in the pros and was not strong enough to play underneath. Newsom, Wade, and Nicks, in my opinion, are ahead of him. Thouigh from totally different eras, Klueh, Royer, Rzsezewski, Roy Burris, George Chestnut, George Pearcy, Freddie Stelow and Dick Atha must be considered. All but Rzsezewski (who was drafted) and Stelow played pro ball and Stelow got killed in a car wreck before his senior year.

I agree about William's shortcomings. But, he was a great scorer.

I've been avoiding it, but of the players I've seen, I have to go with:

Green PG
Williams SG
Bird SF
Newsome PF
Alakaja C

CAn you imagine Bird and Green passing to each other.

Back