Another MVC Preview

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
If McKenna runs his offense anywhere close to Dana Altman (and there's a strong liklihood that he will), ISU will have to get better at their perimeter play. ISU's got to become better at moving the ball around and getting open looks. THere's a fine line between moving the ball around for a good open look and chucking up a shot because the shot clock is at 2.

Will someone please explain to me why everyone is soooooooo high on Illinois State when we beat them twice last year, and they only finished a game or so ahead of us? We return as much as they do, and they certainly didn't have the marquee wins that we did last year. They have yet to prove that they can beat thet "big boys" whether in conference or out, yet that's exactly what we proved last year before the annual "lack of conditioning" fade got to us.

I just don't get it...:eek7:

Is shooting really the problem? I seem to remember some games with some really good shooting. Didn't Stinson put up 40 in one game? Size inside has been a problem for the Sycamores on and off for years.

Will someone please explain to me why everyone is soooooooo high on Illinois State when we beat them twice last year, and they only finished a game or so ahead of us? We return as much as they do, and they certainly didn't have the marquee wins that we did last year. They have yet to prove that they can beat thet "big boys" whether in conference or out, yet that's exactly what we proved last year before the annual "lack of conditioning" fade got to us.

I just don't get it...:eek7:
I believe they have 2 or 3 major junior college transfers coming in that are said to be very intriguing prospects. I'll have to double check, but I think I'm right.

Is shooting really the problem? I seem to remember some games with some really good shooting. Didn't Stinson put up 40 in one game? Size inside has been a problem for the Sycamores on and off for years.
Yeah, it ended up being really bad. You cannot win at the Division I level when you shoot sub 40% as a team and your top scorers all shoot in the 32-40% range.

Yeah, it ended up being really bad. You cannot win at the Division I level when you shoot sub 40% as a team and your top scorers all shoot in the 32-40% range.

I've always maintained that "bad" teams are generally one good jump shooter away from being a respectable opponent in any conference, provided the team can play a little defense. A guy like Kyle Kuric (if not him) would do wonders for this team. McKenna's offense focuses on getting guys like that an open look or two.

I really think ISU is going to be picked around 8th in most preseason polls simply because until the team proves it can get out of the "play in" game round of the MVC tourney noone will believe they can be better.

I, however, along with most others, think this team will turn the corner and play well all year, and not hit that proverbial "wall" when MVC play start. I think KMac will have them fully conditioned for the entire mvc season and beyond (I hope).

:sycamores:

Eight is where they've slated in most mags I've read thus far. I have them slotted for #7 until I see something out of Wichita State that will convince me otherwise.

I really think ISU is going to be picked around 8th in most preseason polls simply because until the team proves it can get out of the "play in" game round of the MVC tourney noone will believe they can be better.

I, however, along with most others, think this team will turn the corner and play well all year, and not hit that proverbial "wall" when MVC play start. I think KMac will have them fully conditioned for the entire mvc season and beyond (I hope).

:sycamores:

They did win their first game last year.

Back