[August 28, 2021] Indiana State (0-0) vs Eastern Illinois (0-0)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
My observations from the top row under the press box out of the heat.
A very nice crowd all decked out in blue for both teams so it felt like it was all ISU fans but I know EIU had a strong contingent. Does not matter - sounded loud and looked good from above.
First 18 minutes ISU dominated both sides of the line of scrimmage but not the scoreboard. That was a concern going forward. Had to like the pass protection by both teams overall; however, ISU's blitz package caused difficulties on occasion and kept the EIU freshman QB dodging onrushing LB's and DL for much of the evening. However, I thought he showed a lot of composure for a true freshman. The first interception was just a spectacular diving catch after a drive on the ball which was apparently thrown to the perfect spot outside and low. The second was one that bounced off the hands of the receiver and turned into a pick six. On many occasions, the kid made really nice adjustments and found open receivers. I thought he showed a lot of potential.
For ISU, after EIU tightened up the coverage and dared them to go deep, the passing game disappeared. The EIU DB's were all over (legally) ISU"s receivers for anything more than a few yards downfield. So, I don't know if it was EIU's coverage, ISU's inability to create separation or the ISU QB's inability to drop it into a small bucket downfield that was the problem, but the bottom line was they controlled the ISU passing game with minimal personnel and were able to commit resources to stopping the run game. The passing will have to improve or it will be difficult to run the ball going forward. I did like how our RB's and Haupert got every bit of yardage there was to get on each play. They were gritty and determined.

Full credit to the ISU defense which looked like it was going to allow a score with 6 plus minutes to play and somehow did not allow them on the board until 3 minutes remained. That was critical

Anyway, it was worth the drive from Green Bay, Wisc coming home from vacation a day early to see the game. A lot on which to work, but I'll take a win anytime over a loss.

A side note on EIU's true freshman players that played well. Most of them had 6 or 7 games of D1 game experience because they played in the Spring and it didn't count against them. I know for a fact that EIU's QB Kuhns started for them in the Spring.

We sat near the band during the game. The fans that were there were pretty good and loud. Thought there might have been more than 5000 but overall a pretty good turn out for how hot it was.

Our new lighting system doesn’t seem to be bright enough. There are a lot of shadows on the field and some punts go higher than lighting standards on the North side of the field. The 3rd quarter especially seemed to be played at dusk. Just my observation.
Other than that, I enjoyed the win and also want to give comps to the coaching staff and their clock management. The players for hanging in there. And the students who showed up and had a good time.
Keep it going!

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Our new lighting system doesn’t seem to be bright enough. There are a lot of shadows on the field and some punts go higher than lighting standards on the North side of the field. The 3rd quarter especially seemed to be played at dusk. Just my observation.
Other than that, I enjoyed the win and also want to give comps to the coaching staff and their clock management. The players for hanging in there. And the students who showed up and had a good time.
Keep it going!
I’m nor sure specifically for MS but ive been on some fields with newer lighting and it looks like there is a shadow on a different part if the field but when you are standing in that area there isnt one. I don’t understand how that works

Back