CBI Post-Season Games, are they worth it?

Sivori77

The White Level
I am an ISU alum who lives in the Peoria, IL area and works in the sporting industry here. I meant to post something on this last spring, but am just now getting around to it as the season draws closer.

Bradley, who we all know was in the inaugural CBI tourney, played host to some post-season games for the CBI tourney. Listening to the local ESPN radio show, the newspaper beat writter for the Braves commented that to play host to a CBI game, Bradley had to put up in the neighborhood of at least $60,000 per game to have the rights to play here in Peoria.

My question to you all is this, would that benefit ISU to be in the tourney if that is the kind of money you have to pay for a third-tier tourney. Granted, all of us would love to see the Sycamores in any post-season tourney, but could the athletic department afforded, or made, that kind of money to justify the ends. Would there have been enough sponsorhip and gate to make money on the venture, which we all know is what athletics, in the end, are about.

Just a question I wanted to post as the season draws nearer. Hopefully we won't have to worry about being in that tourney, but the two above it, this year.

gostate03

The Varsity Level
$60,000 Wow, that is alot of money!! I wonder if that has something to do with the Peoria Civic Center? If they have to pay so much just to play there games there? Like a Rental Fee?

Sivori77

The White Level
No, he stated that all of that money went to the organizing committee. I am sure that the Civic Center here did have their own fees to pay for it.

Still, $60,000 with or without the rental fees being in there, is a lot of money for a third-tier tourney.

gostate03

The Varsity Level
If all of that money goes to the committee then I think we need to start a post season basketball tourney! It sounds like we could make some money!!

rapala

The Varsity Level
These guys don't organize these tournaments for nothing. Most of the early tounaments in the months of December and November are set up to make money for the organizer. In a way you could say that about the NCAA or even worse AAU.

S

Stillhere c5sh

I think this would be something good to do we need to look into it. You have nothing to loss.