Commission calls for academic success to be tied to NCAA Tournament participation

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
You mean the alma mater of MR. PROP 48- Glen Robinson???

In all seriousness, I think that this concept has merit, however, does a student athlete that comes into college and is incredibly talented like that kid from Duke (that had the broken toe) and he decides to leave after his freshman year affect the APR? I do not think that is necessarily fair...but then you wouldn't have to give that kid a schoolie anyway.

What I think is fairly simple to conceptualize. Education is the cornerstone so make it just that. Young athletes going into the NBA, MLB or NFL dilute the product anyway....this is why the NFL has the rules it has. The NBA better wake up! With this concept, I think that it is relatively fair...but how to do address the issue of grade inflation...?

Last edited:
I remember reading that after 4 years at Purdue, Rick Mount had completed only 60 credit hours. Do the math:Sixty hours divided by 8 semesters=7.5 hrs/semester.

Sweet!

Schools will just cheat the system more. Find it hard to believe Kentucky wouldn't be on that list when half their players likely don't bother to go to class and go straight to the NBA after one season.

I agree with your points. You can't penalize someone for a "one-and-done" or the numerous kids who sign with schools way over their heads and they limp away after a year or two with splinters in their butts. It's not the school's fault the kid decides to leave. There should be some kind of sliding scale for credits earned in relation to semesters attended. If you are at a school for one year, and you earned 24 or more credits (or whatever number they would pick), the school would be OK. The people who know they are going pro never go to class in the spring semester because it doesn't matter to them. By the time they would be ruled ineligible, they have a big signing bonus. Hopefully.

If they couldn't sign with the NBA or NFL until 4 years after their high school graduation ???????????? Yes, some schools would find easy classes for stars, but schools with integrity would graduate more players. Or would they??

Well, it's the NBA screwing this up, but it is a free country if a player wants to go pro. What the NCAA could do is seed any team that has a one-and-done player (NBA) #16.

Well, it's the NBA screwing this up, but it is a free country if a player wants to go pro. What the NCAA could do is seed any team that has a one-and-done player (NBA) #16.

Why hurt a team that they have to play against lol...WHY ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING SO MUCH ABOUT A SYSTEM THAT ISN'T BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what i don't get...Do some schools get one and doners? yeah but this is the most interesting past few march madnesses in the past few years...and btw it clearly hurts the competitive nature of the sport since Butler with all those one and doners was in the championship game last year and Duke was as well...with what 5 seniors this year?

Why hurt a team that they have to play against lol...WHY ARE PEOPLE COMPLAINING SO MUCH ABOUT A SYSTEM THAT ISN'T BROKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's what i don't get...Do some schools get one and doners? yeah but this is the most interesting past few march madnesses in the past few years...and btw it clearly hurts the competitive nature of the sport since Butler with all those one and doners was in the championship game last year and Duke was as well...with what 5 seniors this year?

Just my opinion, but I have little use for institutions or a system that takes the student out of the student-athlete. Change the system to emphasize the role of student. Stop being a farm system for the NBA--put the one and done guys in a developmental league for their year; use AAA baseball type approach. I'm not taking the Gary approach. I don't want to abandon the system; I just want to tweak it to emphasize the student. And as to last year with Duke and Duke of the midwest--we all know that was an anomaly.

Just my opinion, but I have little use for institutions or a system that takes the student out of the student-athlete. Change the system to emphasize the role of student. Stop being a farm system for the NBA--put the one and done guys in a developmental league for their year; use AAA baseball type approach. I'm not taking the Gary approach. I don't want to abandon the system; I just want to tweak it to emphasize the student. And as to last year with Duke and Duke of the midwest--we all know that was an anomaly.

I definitely agree. College athletes are supposed to be students at the university that they represent. Maybe all scholarships should count for 2 years whether the player is there or not.

See but the institution doesn't control if the kid leaves for the NBA or not...I think they should take the baseball approach but with making kids eligible for immediate draft status. Have a board who decides, "This kid has no need for college basketball, he can make an impact in pro ball immediately."

I'm okay with the NCAA doing something but only after the NBA repeals it's rule that you can't go straight to the pros from high school. They worked with the NCAA trying to make the game better but I think it had the opposite impact.

I'm okay with the NCAA doing something but only after the NBA repeals it's rule that you can't go straight to the pros from high school. They worked with the NCAA trying to make the game better but I think it had the opposite impact.

I don't see why the NCAA should wait for the NBA to do something. The NBA doesn't care if college players go to class. The NCAA should do something now.

Back