Coronavirus, Italy and Terre Haute

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
In watching the news come out of Italy, I can't help but think of Terre Haute. There is such a large and aged population in Terre Haute (quite a few of my family members with heart issues) that I'm hoping the virus does not take hold there.

I don't know if you guys are under a 30 day lockdown like we are here in Vegas, but if you aren't, unless you need the absolute essentials, please make do. I think people are still underestimating what can happen to certain populations. Just because you may be young and healthy and will recover, doesn't mean your grandmother that you shared it with will.

When we come out the other side, it will also be imperative to spend your discretionary income locally. No trips up to Indy to spend your money... keep it in the community and circulating.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
My company is considered Essential, we are buying lunch for our staff from local Mom and Pops every day now. Its brutal , just trying help where possible.

In watching the news come out of Italy, I can't help but think of Terre Haute. There is such a large and aged population in Terre Haute (quite a few of my family members with heart issues) that I'm hoping the virus does not take hold there.

I don't know if you guys are under a 30 day lockdown like we are here in Vegas, but if you aren't, unless you need the absolute essentials, please make do. I think people are still underestimating what can happen to certain populations. Just because you may be young and healthy and will recover, doesn't mean your grandmother that you shared it with will.

When we come out the other side, it will also be imperative to spend your discretionary income locally. No trips up to Indy to spend your money... keep it in the community and circulating.

I was interested why Italy's supposed to be 2 weeks ahead of us but the first identified cases were 1/15 in the US and 1/30 in Italy (i may be a day off on those)

I noticed that the median age in Italy is 47.5 and the US is 38.5

in 2016 the cigarette consumption per capita was US-1016 Italy-1493 China-2043.

I suspect population density has a lot to do with spread also

I strongly suspect there are a LOT of cases not diagnosed if the reports ive heard are that 90% of people experience mild to no symptoms. I also dont believe any of the numbers coming out of China since a few days ago they expelled some news reporters (from both sides of the slant)

I was interested why Italy's supposed to be 2 weeks ahead of us but the first identified cases were 1/15 in the US and 1/30 in Italy (i may be a day off on those)

I noticed that the median age in Italy is 47.5 and the US is 38.5

in 2016 the cigarette consumption per capita was US-1016 Italy-1493 China-2043.

I suspect population density has a lot to do with spread also

I strongly suspect there are a LOT of cases not diagnosed if the reports ive heard are that 90% of people experience mild to no symptoms. I also dont believe any of the numbers coming out of China since a few days ago they expelled some news reporters (from both sides of the slant)

Must be why they have the Little Italy festival over in Clinton.

12 confirmed at Union Hospital including a doctor and his wife. This is just awful. I hope China pays the ultimate price for what they’ve caused. Bats didn’t cause this we did. This is a message that we the world better get our act together or else the outcome isn’t going to be very kind in the future. We’ll get through this, but America needs to start taking care if America. No more China for me. We get away from that evil empire we’re a lot better off. All here at Sycamore Pride stay safe and stay healthy. God bless you and your loved ones.

I think people need to calm down a little. Saturday evening I was buying some animal feed and offered to help a woman by picking up a large bag of kitty litter for her. Her response was “stay 6 ft back, just stay the f*ck away”. She is either over reacting to the situation or just had a bad day. The good news is that for the second day in a row the number of deaths/day from the virus has decreased in the USA. Let’s hope this trend continues.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I think people need to calm down a little. Saturday evening I was buying some animal feed and offered to help a woman by picking up a large bag of kitty litter for her. Her response was “stay 6 ft back, just stay the f*ck away”. She is either over reacting to the situation or just had a bad day. The good news is that for the second day in a row the number of deaths/day from the virus has decreased in the USA. Let’s hope this trend continues.

it's a mixed bag... some folks will have her reaction, others will ignore all directives, advice "cuz it's all bullshit..."

TribStar is reporting 3d COVID-19 in Vigo County, thinking 3rd Vigo County resident

I'm sorry that person was so rude, with the "stay the f*ck away", that's totally unnecessary and sounds like a person on the verge of panic.

*edited because I read your response wrong, sorry about that.

Last edited:

You now have reported cases in Terre Haute. That's enough to cause people that know their own medical history or that live with folks with medical issues to absolutely panic. Once it hits home, all bets are off.

My mother lives in Terre Haute and almost died of a heart issue about 4 years ago. She called me in an absolute panic because she ran out of some essentials and couldn't risk going out to try to find them. If she catches this, she's dead. We all know you're a gentleman, but for those terrified of the potential outcome, they would prefer you to do your best Georgia Satellites impersonation.

Back