Early 2022-23 Roster Look

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
With college free agency in full swing, I thought it may make sense to throw up a defacto early look at the roster with players broken down into the three buckets HCJS seems to use. Following the NBA trend, you've basically got a ball-handlers, a wings, and a bigs bucket.

Ball-Handlers - Gibson, Neese, Larry, Crawford, Mervis, Martin
Wings - Henry, Stephens, Bledson, Hobbs, Kent
Bigs - McKnight, Avila

With 3 remaining scholarships open, the glaring need is obviously the bigs bucket or we'll be stuck running Stephens and a freshman Avila out at the 5. Just basing off of feel, I think the staff may look to try to land a stopgap big (grad transfer type) as well as a younger one if they can get someone they really like. For the last spot, I'd imagine they'd likely want the BPA but would prefer the best shooting ball-handler they can land.

At Lincoln, Schertz preferred to redshirt his freshman and it looks like he could possibly have that luxury with Avila at this point but not Martin. Also looking ahead at the 2023 recruiting class needs, finding Neese's replacement will be pretty significant for the staff.

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
If we can't get a big, we'll have to use Stephens and Avila. I consider them PF's anyway.
I'm not sure it makes sense to sign a big UNLESS he can outplay these two inside. They are both pretty versatile.

My best guess is 2 bigs and a pg/combo guard with 1-3 years left. If Schertz wants to run stephens and Avila as the 2 main bigs that would be fine with me. Problem is they need depth for injuries or other absences. As much as I like stephens I feel like he wasn’t a very good “center.”

While a good big would help, our whole team was woefully inadequate in blocks and rebounds. We need a team effort for that and defense.
You are right. Stephens is not an ideal center. If Avila and Stephens are all we have then we'll have to go with it. Just hoping we can get 6 new guys that can help us be a better team.

I think I’m still of the opinion that you take the best players a available, but we do need some additional size. Here’s what I’d like tisee us get, in my order of importance with some realism sprinkled in (we’re not getting a 7 footer who runs like a deer and jumps out of the gym).

1) Another Jayson Kent-like wing. We still need to get more athletic and taller. Another 6’7” wing that can slash, shoot, and defend multiple positions will go a long way. Our entire offense is centered around the dribble-down and cuts. We need guys that can actually do that.

2) 3-Point shooter…regardless of position. We still don’t have anyone that can consistently hit an outside shot, and Micah has left the building. Kent was not a good shooter last year, and while I think he’ll continue to improve we are still woefully deficient in this area.

3) Traditional, banger-big. I would love for us get some scoring from this position, but at a minimum we could use a bench big that actually can play like a big. Someone who gobbles up rebounds and protects the rim. If we get that for 15-20 minutes a game, we can live with a small lineup the majority of the time. It’s going to be hard to live with a small lineup if we’re subbing in and out other smaller lineups.

Really hard to imagine how the minutes will be dispersed next season. Feels like somebody will need to redshirt or risk playing sparsely. Wonder if cam Crawford takes a sophomore redshirt like Bledson did at LMU.

also, can anybody quickly figure how many minutes per game the sycamores have returning? So far they’ve replaced mostly bench guys with 2 players who might get decent playing time.

I believe HCJS said earlier that he wants every guy on the team to have to compete for their minutes. Iron sharpens iron. It will make all players better. We’ve not had the depth to actually achieve that in a long, long time.

I believe HCJS said earlier that he wants every guy on the team to have to compete for their minutes. Iron sharpens iron. It will make all players better. We’ve not had the depth to actually achieve that in a long, long time.
I know it’s a homer point of view but this team looks so much better on paper already. Lot of people on social media were criticizing coach for the player exodus. Some were critical about the recruiting. Feels like they upgraded every part that left. Still need to bring in at least one big man and I doubt it will be a dumpster dive type protect.

We get 1 year of McCauley so he isn't coming in to hang out.

A big is an absolute must with one of the last two scholarships. Have to think Stephens will be playing more in the middle next year regardless.

A big is an absolute must with one of the last two scholarships. Have to think Stephens will be playing more in the middle next year regardless.
No doubt also to train Martin. I also have a feeling the exit door is still open.

Yes we definitely need some height/length at the 5 position. Have to believe they're on the hunt for such.

I have no doubt that we'll get a serviceable big.

A request for ISU MBB staff. Please get a big (6'8" plus) that can give us a consistent 8-12 pts. and 10 boards......Please!!!!!!
In addition, a physical 6'7'' player who can board would also help.
Thank you.

A request for ISU MBB staff. Please get a big (6'8" plus) that can give us a consistent 8-12 pts. and 10 boards......Please!!!!!!
In addition, a physical 6'7'' player who can board would also help.
Thank you.
Only 16 players averaged 10 or more rebs this year. All of them scored 9.4+ ppg. 6 of them were shorter than 6'8. 11 of them played at mid majors. 5 are listed as seniors. 5 are listed as freshmen. So I guess my point is there aren't many guys who fit your criteria but there are some out there. For example, Kendal Coleman (NW St) really caught my eye with they schedule he played and the fact that he's just a freshman. Turns out he caught LSU's eye too. He's committed to them (I think still) for next year.

Uh....with today's addition, is Coop coming off the bench next season??

Ha no.. He's still one of our 3 best guys for next year. JS will find a way to play them together. Ideally coop as senior is your 3rd scoring option on a good team...that guy starts regardless

Ha no.. He's still one of our 3 best guys for next year. JS will find a way to play them together. Ideally coop as senior is your 3rd scoring option on a good team...that guy starts regardless
And I should mention this guy we added and Henry only MAYBE are better options than him.. I hope they are bc the team would be better for it, but Voss has to prove he's a closer at this level and Henry has to prove he mentally can keep it together on the floor..Neither are guaranteed. We know what coop is and it can be very very valuable with the proper pieces around him, he's just not a go to get your own bucket scorer at this level..

Back