FB Preview | Sycamores close out 2021 season at Illinois State

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

SycamoreBlue3209

The All-MVC Level
Impressive win. I mean 5-6 with very limited quarterback play. Speaks volumes to the defensive effort this season.

A lot of talk about dropping football, but at the end of the day, we took care of business against 6 other Division 1 scholarship football programs. I understand the thoughts of burning money into a program that may never become the best of the best, but I truly believe if football goes away, that funding does not go to the other athletic programs. Maybe a slight uptick to basketball. Unless they commit a large portion to men’s basketball, I just assume keep football. Helps with the complete college experience. Plus I enjoy tailgating!

Now go get a QB coach!!

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
Great win for us to close out the season. If I had to choose just one game to win it would probably have been this one. The season was overall a disappointment, but it wasn't all that long ago that we would have killed for a 5 win season. Also glad that the seniors got to win their final game as Sycamores.

The way we lost the games we lost was the biggest problem for me (as in not being competitive). If we had a 5-6 season like North Dakota had this season I'd feel a lot better about the future of the program. Five of their six losses were by 7 points or less, but they just had a lot of unlucky breaks.

Hopefully things work out better for us next season. I think most of us would agree that our offense is the thing that needs the most work this off-season.

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
As for the FCS playoffs, for those that care, with SDSU's win the MVFC should be a 5 bid league (NDSU, SDSU, USD, MSU, SIU). The 24 team bracket should be released by 1 PM tomorrow.

I'm hoping there's a repeat of 2014 with an all-MVFC championship game. I bought a couple of tickets for the championship game in Frisco, Texas, so I'm looking forward to attending that for the first time.

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
I do this every season and I am usually very accurate. There are 22 teams that will make the playoffs for sure. Usually the committee only takes schools with 7 D1 wins (the Patriot, Pioneer, and NEC never get at-larges). With that said the bubble is extremely weak and using those standards Eastern KY, Rhode Island, and Monmouth are the bubble. I would add a 7-3 (6-3 vs D1) Mercer to that bubble and a 6-5 UNI. I think UNI has a great shot at an at large bid and it's quite possible the MVFC might end up with 6 bids rather than just 5. In all seriousness I feel like UNI has the best resume of those 5 schools.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
One of the biggest wins of Mallory’s career. Being able to hit the recruiting trail saying we’re only one game under .500 after covid is huge. And the BloNo drought is over!

Given that he's currently #10 in all-time coaching wins with 17... I'd say his first win over a ranked R-birds team in 2018 as his biggest but the other 16 rank awfully high

Regardless, 5-6 is better than 0-11

Good luck on a success 2022 season!

Congrats to all Tree seniors on their careers!

bluestreak

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Looks like he started out at Troy University

A three-start recruit according to 247Sports and ESPN, Screws redshirted last season under new head coach Chip Lindsey. ESPN had him as a top 60 quarterback in the 2019 recruiting class.

Screws entered the transfer portal on April 30 and made it official on social media a day later. 25 days later, he goes from the scarlet and silver to the purple and gold.

He was a three-year starter for Baldwin High in Jacksonville, Florida. During his prep career, Screws finished with the 12th most passing yards in state history, finishing with 7,831 yards. He also threw for 83 touchdowns in his career.

As a senior, Screws threw for 2,562 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Screws will step in and compete for the job with Nick Davenport, as he is the only returning quarterback from last season. The other freshman on the roster, Jack Samsel transferred to the University of Missouri.

Bobbyk60

The White Level
Looks like he started out at Troy University

A three-start recruit according to 247Sports and ESPN, Screws redshirted last season under new head coach Chip Lindsey. ESPN had him as a top 60 quarterback in the 2019 recruiting class.

Screws entered the transfer portal on April 30 and made it official on social media a day later. 25 days later, he goes from the scarlet and silver to the purple and gold.

He was a three-year starter for Baldwin High in Jacksonville, Florida. During his prep career, Screws finished with the 12th most passing yards in state history, finishing with 7,831 yards. He also threw for 83 touchdowns in his career.

As a senior, Screws threw for 2,562 yards and 27 touchdowns.

Screws will step in and compete for the job with Nick Davenport, as he is the only returning quarterback from last season. The other freshman on the roster, Jack Samsel transferred to the University of Missouri.
What’s his name?

Sycamore Blue

The Sycamore Level
Gavin Screws Butler stats look pretty good.

“7-2 as starter
1593 yds 17 TD 2 INT
96/171 comp
164.9 passer rating
6’2” 205lbs
D1 bounce-back”

Found on his Twitter page.