[February 14, 2021] Indiana State (11-8) at Evansville (8-10)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
282.gif
vs.
339.gif

Indiana State Sycamores (11-8, 8-6) vs. Evansville Purple Aces (8-10, 6-6)

Ford Center - Evansville, IN
Sunday, February 14th, 2021
4:00pm EST Tip

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
We'll be back at .500 after this game. I've watched Evansville 4-5 times and don't think they match up well for us at all. They lost today vs. Bradley, 86-55.

If we win this game we will be in 5th place in the MVC standings. Then we will have a big series against Southern Illinois.

We actually could stay out of Thursday again this year, but I think that just shows how bad the MVC is. I also have zero confidence we will do anything in St Louis with a 5 or 6 seed should we finish that high.

There’s been some bad MVC basketball this year for sure. Ironically, if Drake keeps going full steam ahead but then loses in St. Louis it could be a multi-bid (2) league this year!

There’s been some bad MVC basketball this year for sure. Ironically, if Drake keeps going full steam ahead but then loses in St. Louis it could be a multi-bid (2) league this year!

COULD, as long they're undefeated in ARCH Madness play. Two defeats entering MVC tournament play, and a LOSS there, forget it. The selection committee and the P5 won't have any of it with an MVC record like that...and if by grace.....that this played out in the MVC's favor, Drake's getting a 14 and possibly a 15 Seed....but two teams still rocks, regardless.

I think Drake could probably make it as an at-large with 4 losses total (3 entering St Louis and don't lose on Friday). With 4 total they are likely looking at Dayton or the NIT. With 3 or less they are probably in. Their SOS is not very good, but as bad as the MVC has been we are still ranked 11th out of 32 conferences in the NET. As surprising as it may sound, Drake actually has a NET ranking of 11th too so there's that. I actually think the NET rewards weak schedules with is why you see P5 schools loading up their NC schedules with low majors they can beat handily, which is what Drake has done for the most part.

The MVC should take note also in my opinion. We should all start scheduling weak in the non-conference to boost our NET rankings so that we are all Q1 and Q2 level opponents in conference play. We successfully gamed the RPI, so we should try to game the NET now too.

One thing to keep in mind is that this year, mostly due to not being able to buy a bunch of pre-conference games AND (maybe more importantly) not having any type of home court advantage, there won’t be as many P5 teams with padded records.

In the past, the 8th place team in a P5 league would have 20 wins because they would play 18-20 home games in front of a big crowd. Not so this year.

Teams like Duke, Kentucky and others will probably lose more home games this year then in the five years prior. This will hopefully open up more chances for Drake and teams like them.

One thing to keep in mind is that this year, mostly due to not being able to buy a bunch of pre-conference games AND (maybe more importantly) not having any type of home court advantage, there won’t be as many P5 teams with padded records.

In the past, the 8th place team in a P5 league would have 20 wins because they would play 18-20 home games in front of a big crowd. Not so this year.

Teams like Duke, Kentucky and others will probably lose more home games this year then in the five years prior. This will hopefully open up more chances for Drake and teams like them.

HA! You don't think they will adjust??

I mean - I like your "wishful" thinking and it might open a door that was previously shut before. Maybe like a chipmunk or something could get through the door as apposed to a ladybug. But I'm going to say - more teams with a less than .500 record will get the benefit of the doubt than mid majors that deserve a look.

If it was a multi year issue, they would adjust. Not sure they anticipated how much of a difference it would make. They won't have time to adjust this year.

After all these are the same programs that always tell us that we (smaller schools) exaggerate the impact that playing so many home games has and how deserving they are of all the bids they receive each year.

Without their cupcake pre conference schedules and their 15k+ fans as a home court advantage, they are starting to see how the rest of us have to live each year.

HA! You don't think they will adjust??

I mean - I like your "wishful" thinking and it might open a door that was previously shut before. Maybe like a chipmunk or something could get through the door as apposed to a ladybug. But I'm going to say - more teams with a less than .500 record will get the benefit of the doubt than mid majors that deserve a look.
My thoughts exactly. All you hear is how good the big ten is, blah, blah, blah. There will be at least 10 bit ten teams in the tournament.

BTW ...... Indianapolis is the NEW Dayton. Dayton is no more this season. And if Drake doesn't win ArchMadness they will be N.I.T. ..... no way two MVC teams in in with the "Big Boys" this year.......... sad but inevitable.

My thoughts exactly. All you hear is how good the big ten is, blah, blah, blah. There will be at least 10 bit ten teams in the tournament.
Exactly how many teams Joe Lunardi has in his Bracketology release this week. Four of his 6 "play in" teams are autobids from lower leagues. The only way this shit changes is if non-P5 conferences go back to the table and demand changes.

Crap. Not sure how all teams in a conference, let alone in D1 will have even close to the same number of games to plan a tournament,

image_handler.aspx

The Missouri Valley Conference has postponed the Indiana State and Evansville men's basketball game (Wednesday, Jan. 20) at Hulman Center in Terre Haute, Ind., due to positive COVID-19 test results among Evansville's Tier I personnel, which consists of student-athletes, coaches, managers and staff. The Conference will announce a make-up date for the game at a later date.

More...

Crap. Not sure how all teams in a conference, let alone in D1 will have even close to the same number of games to plan a tournament,

I don't know about the NCAAT because they just make stuff up every year anyways. For St Louis my guess is that the seedings will be based off of conference game winning percentage.

Didn't matter with college football with Ohio State getting in despite playing fewer games. They will just keep with the same formula as always -- put all of the P5 schools in and supplement it with league tournament winners.

I think this year they will be even more top heavy with power schools and use this very excuse when called on the carpet to quantify.

Back