[February 19, 2022] Indiana State (11-15) vs Southern Illinois (14-13)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Was busy all day so just watched the game on replay before I ever saw the final results or any info on the game. My take away....we just aren't there yet as a program. Energy was there on both ends; we looked good at times and we looked bad at time. Personally I thought it was a pretty entertaining game to watch. We are competing this year but we just don't have the knowledge and "Xs and Os" to be closing out games consistently. Stephens battled and had a real good game. But he is limited to what he can do defensively when a bigger skilled guy gets position (that statement is true to just about anyone on our team). Henry going down hill is a beautiful thing; but he can't always hang onto the ball. Congrats to Cooper on the 1k club, he has earned it. All in all there were a few bonehead plays to end the game (yeah I'm talking about the foul on the 3 point attempt) but the only disappointing thing was the final score.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I have a SERIOUS question and invite reasonable replies - Why did JS go to a NBA-like 1 on 1 "isolation" offense v. the Saluki's Saturday? We've focused on movement & cutting throughout the season, and when done correctly, found to be successful. It also prevents general OFFENSIVE STAGNATION while enacting greater pressure upon the opposing defense.

Another thing that struck me about our PASSING game. I wish that JS would invite some of you INSURANCE alums to the lockeroom to discuss the concept of "risk management" as applied to gathering an ASSIST. How often do we see hopeless passing under the basket or along the baseline...with the intended receiver dwarfed by multiple defenders and left w/ no alternatives? How many of our TO's each game are the result of such POOR FORESEEABILITY given the situation?

They were isolating against the weak link defensively and it worked pretty much the entire game. They were switching to get Kailex isolated against Banks/Verplancken/D'Amico and he went for 21 points on 8-16 shooting. It was actually very effective.

The problem as I see it is we lost because of defensive lapses. Helping down in the post which led to open shooters and SIU shot 12-28 to our 6-12. That's an 18 point spread from behind the arc. The fact guys left Coupet, who came into the game on like a 60-65% 3FG shooting clip in recent games is a massive scouting report and execution fail. Someone should have been in his drawers the whole game.

Last edited:
This game was kind of a carbon copy of the game in C-Dale, just a little higher scoring. If I recall correctly SIU made several timely threes in previous matchup. We haven't guarded the three very well all season.

Was busy all day so just watched the game on replay before I ever saw the final results or any info on the game. My take away....we just aren't there yet as a program. Energy was there on both ends; we looked good at times and we looked bad at time. Personally I thought it was a pretty entertaining game to watch. We are competing this year but we just don't have the knowledge and "Xs and Os" to be closing out games consistently. Stephens battled and had a real good game. But he is limited to what he can do defensively when a bigger skilled guy gets position (that statement is true to just about anyone on our team). Henry going down hill is a beautiful thing; but he can't always hang onto the ball. Congrats to Cooper on the 1k club, he has earned it. All in all there were a few bonehead plays to end the game (yeah I'm talking about the foul on the 3 point attempt) but the only disappointing thing was the final score.
Solid analysis.

Back