[February 27, 2021] Indiana State (14-8) at Valparaiso (9-17)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
The Day Late but not dollar short +/- from game 1 and the (JL)E2 report. From game 1. Game 2 report will follow in separate reply:

Dominating win in game 1:

First Half: >10 seconds on shot clock 10/23 with 3 offensive rebounds, 1 foul drawn and one turnover
<10 seconds on shot clock 5/9 with 2 offensive rebounds, 1 foul drawn and 0 turnovers

Julian Larry: 12 minutes/ +11; Laravia: 17.5 minutes / +16; Bacote: 10 minutes +11
Larry & Laravia together = (JL)E2 = 11 minutes / +11

Second Half: > 10 seconds on shot clock: 5/13 with 3 offensive rebounds 1 foul drawn and 2 turnovers
<10 seconds on shot clock: 4/17 with 1 rebound, 2 fouls drawn and 0 turnovers

Julian Larry: 13 minutes / -2; Laravia: 17.5 minutes / 0; Bacote: 6 minutes / -5

Game:
Julian Larry: 25 minutes / +9; Laravia 35 minute / +16; Bacote: 16 minutes +6

The Game Two Report at Valpo

First Half
>10 seconds on shot clock: Field Goals 5/20 with 6 offensive rebounds, 5 fouls drawn and 4 turnovers committed
<10 seconds on shot clock: Field Goals 0/7 with 1 offensive rebound; 0 fouls drawn; 4 turnovers (a lot for those few possessions)

Julian Larry: 6.5 minutes / +4; Laravia19 minutes / -16; Bacote: 11 minutes / -23
Larry and Laravia together: 5 minutes / +9

Second Half:
>10 seconds on shot clock: Field Goals 12/24; 3 offensive rebounds 7 fouls drawn; 1 turnover
<10 seconds on shot clock: Field Goals 0/1; 0 rebounds; 0 fouls; 1 turnover

Julian Larry: 15 minutes / +11; Laravia: 18.5 minutes +7; Bacote: 13.5 minutes +6
Larry & Laravia together: 15 minutes / +11

Game:
Larry: 21.5 minutes // +15; Laravia 37.5 minutes // -9; Bacote: 25 minutes // -17
(JL)E2 Report: 20 minutes / +20 in a decisive loss.

When are we going to see the updated PER now that the regular season is completed?

Misery State is getting clobbered right now by Evansville. 60-44 with 7 to go. UE swept UNI and Valpo so if they win they will be who we play.

Drake in a dog fight with Bradley right now. Loyola survived SIU in OT.

image_handler.aspx

The Indiana State men's basketball team struggled out of the gate and could never recover Saturday night, falling 70-58 to Valparaiso in the regular season finale at the Athletics-Recreation Center.

More...

Drake was so pathetic that last 8 minutes, and I assume throughout the game. I seriously doubt they would get an at-large bid now. We get Loyola if we win on Friday.

He was fine, until Lansing benched him.

At this point in the season, you don't play head-games with your starters, especially someone like Neese who is 10X's the player of a Miller, Bacote or Larry....but that's Lansing...always has to have someone in the doghouse.
When does Neese share in the responsibility? He’s still #22 in the MVC in minutes played, which is third on the team. He’s getting plenty of time on the court, so it doesn’t really have much to do with anything but him.

He absolutely has to hit shots for our offense to work, and I hope he finds his mojo soon. This is not a Lansing issue, though.

Looks like the end of season collapse came all in one game. Hopefully Lansing will get their attention this week. I still think we have a chance to win Arch Madness.

When does Neese share in the responsibility? He’s still #22 in the MVC in minutes played, which is third on the team. He’s getting plenty of time on the court, so it doesn’t really have much to do with anything but him.

He absolutely has to hit shots for our offense to work, and I hope he finds his mojo soon. This is not a Lansing issue, though.

In my opinion it’s partially a Lansing issue... He yanked him out of the starting lineup for a disciplinary issue - fine no issue with that. He then proceeded to keep him out of the starting lineup. That’s unnecessary - we’ve had players with more disciplinary issues than Cooper and he’d been playing really well prior to that.

But Cooper has to get his head out of his ass as well. He’s such an important piece to this O - if he’s shooting it well then it makes doubling Jake or Tre difficult. Our movement yesterday when we got doubled was awful - everyone stood and watched. No one made themselves available or cut toward the lane - when we did we fumbled the catch or made bad passes. Just not locked in as a team.

Looks like the end of season collapse came all in one game. Hopefully Lansing will get their attention this week. I still think we have a chance to win Arch Madness.

You don’t get to just cherry pick. He lost what 2 games in February this year??? You don’t get to bring the February Collapse ridiculous nonsense into the conversation. Those people were promptly shut down this year - praise be to God.

In my opinion it’s partially a Lansing issue... He yanked him out of the starting lineup for a disciplinary issue - fine no issue with that. He then proceeded to keep him out of the starting lineup. That’s unnecessary - we’ve had players with more disciplinary issues than Cooper and he’d been playing really well prior to that.

But Cooper has to get his head out of his ass as well. He’s such an important piece to this O - if he’s shooting it well then it makes doubling Jake or Tre difficult. Our movement yesterday when we got doubled was awful - everyone stood and watched. No one made themselves available or cut toward the lane - when we did we fumbled the catch or made bad passes. Just not locked in as a team.
I can’t deny there seems to be a correlation between his disciplinary benching and his slump at the moment. I just don’t see the causation.

Neese isn’t shooting as much. That could be defenses targeting him more, but he only took 6 shots yesterday. He took 11 in the first Valpo game (which we won), and against Evansville he barely shot the ball at all. He’s still getting the minutes but doesn’t seem like he’s looking to score.

Neese also seems like he’s obsessed with the shot fake right now instead of just firing away. He’s giving the shot fake and then driving into traffic only to find he has to kick it out back to the perimeter. I’d much rather Neese just take the open shot with a defender closing out when he has the chance.

Back