forget McKenna fire the rest of the staff

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Daveinth

The Wade Level
Facts are this we cant rebound, we cant take care of the ball, regardless of what system we have if you turn the ballover or continue to get dominated by teams inside the wins will never come . these problems are the reults of poor assistant coaches. who ever is in charge of these major areas should be fired. another thing is when was the last time we actually have had a game plan entering a game? again this is the responsibility of the asisstant coaches. comeon these guys are not here just to draw a paycheck .

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
i don't know if we need to fire all the assistants, lansing is pretty good, remember he was a finalist for this job (maybe he should have got it) Bender certainly knew how to beat a team that is for sure.

i dont know about Lansig being so good he was a 2 time loser in the Waltman days and we all know how that turned out . i didnt feel they should have kept him in the first place let alone make him a finalist. if your trying to turn around a losing program why would you keep any part of what led you here in the first place. yes Lansing went to Iowa and came back again what does that tell you . He replaced Bender as the #1 assistant and we havent won a game that has meant anything in the time he has been here in that position. i personally havent seen a single Assistant coach who should be teaching basketball at the boys club level let alone at a D-1 program . if we are to believe that Prettyman is wanting to turn this program and others like it around why has he not hired the coaches to do it. if you ask me Prettyman is one who should consider resigning. the changes in the program he has made has not turned out the way he said would accur. Football 0-12 baseball well below 500 in fact would have had a hard time beating Vinncences , and we are all living the basketball now. Hey i have an idea instead of playing football next year maybe we could join forces and play fantasy football with the students at Ivy Tech

i think we will need to agree to disagree with regards to lansing. However, i will agree that since prettyman has been here nothing is going well. He continues one by one firing coaches who were better than his califonia coaches. next one up is a new soccer coach doubt it will be from anywhere but californina and doubt he will be able to match this years post season run, how many places do you know fire a coach who makes it to a conference final? baseball, who knows what is going to happen there, basktball is the worse it has been, volleyball hey was a little better, track and field best of the programs and those are not even his coaches and they do everything themselves. prettyman resing, i dont know but facts are fact, isu athletics has fallen since his arrival

The best assistant at ISU in recent memory was Rick Ray. Look at the job he has done at Purdue and someone please disagree with me. (So you can be proven wrong of cousre). Rick Ray did a fantastic job at Indiana State and coached Def. very well. I think you can ask anyone from the Menser, Renn, Green teams and they will tell you that Rick Ray flat out gets it done.

Yeah, let's talk about Prettyman. He's made a lot of changes, most for the worse.

Yeah, let's talk about Prettyman. He's made a lot of changes, most for the worse.

Been trying to figure out one single thing he has done that has been for the good of the university . Cant think of a single hire that has helped. Cant believe he has raised the prices of the walkup tickets to the level they are now. He has chased any and all support for the programs away. Last but not least he hired John Sherman to yell into the Microphone and annoy people during timeouts. Sure can see where he has been a good hire, Again maybe he is one of the morons who believes that if you are pathetic enough Maybe old number 33 will come save the day .

Now Big D little aveinth no reason what so ever to go calling out the entire administration and getting so upset! I don't want to see you get your panties in a bind over this with your name calling and carrying on! Come on man!

I believe that the whole crew of coaches needs to be let go. Every game that I have seen this year ISU has been outcoached. We have the talent to be a decent squad I just believe the problem is coaching. I have never seen a coach continue to run a zone as often as Kevin McKenna and never see any success running it. ZONE DEFENSE DOES NOT WORK!!! Look at Ohio State who went to the National Championsip and easily had more talent then Florida but their fatal flaw was the zone defense. I don't understand why we can't get a big time assistant coach from a school in a power conference. Indiana State would hire an assistant coach from the MVC, that is just typical of Ron Prettyman. Look at Illinois State, Tim Jankovic was the assistant at Kansas and look how good the redbirds are now. ISU basketball has hit an all time low this year and it is pathetic. Football has been bad but at least we have been able to fall back on basketball at least being decent. We need to get rid of the entire coaching staff and start fresh because this just isnt working and I am sick and tired of everyone saying just wait till next season we will be better, BULL****! Bring in a quality coach for once ISU.

I think everyone needs to realize that this team only has 1 senior. Its easy to sit back and critcize the coaches when things don't go well, but give McKenna a chance to actually get his players in here.
[I]"When was the last time we actually had a gameplan?" [/I]Are you serious? This is a ridiculous post.

What we do not have right now is chemistry. When we went to the tourney and beat Oklahoma, we had Menser, Renn, Block. A grinder, a shooter, and a thoroughbred who could sprint up and down the floor with anyone in the nation (even after he got his teeth knocked out in Memphis - I was there). If we don't recruit grinders, shooters and speedsters, we're living in the Sherm Dillard era. Hopefully recruiting the best 4 players in the Wabash Valley (Mahurin, Odum, both Eitels) will help turn the corner. They all have basketball smarts, play with passion at times, and come from successful programs. We need to get a couple of rebounders who do not mind doing the dirty work on the defensive end. Create some team chemistry and everyone buy into the system.

Last edited:
What we do not have tight now is chemistry. When we went to the tourney and beat Oklahoma, we had Menser, Renn, Block. A grinder, a shooter, and a thoroughbred who could sprint up and down the floor with anyone in the nation (even after he got his teeth knocked out in Memphis - I was there). If we don't recruit grinders, shooters and speedsters, we're living in the Sherm Dillard era. Hopefully recruiting the best 4 players in the Wabash Valley (Mahurin, Odum, both Eitels) will help turn the corner. They all have basketball smarts, play with passion at times, and come from successful programs. We need to get a couple of rebounders who do not mind doing the dirty work on the defensive end. Create some team chemistry and everyone buy into the system.

i was in memphis as well i remember sitting eating breakfast before the OK game talking to a fan from Virgina he mentioned Renn and Menser and how tough they were i recall tell this guy thaty the person that was over looked was Block and he said really ? that night in the hotel i ran into this guy who was happy ( Gonzaga beat them ) and he told me you know that team is better because they had the team including that little GEM Block. its like this after the team was broken up Block remained and we know what the rest of his carrer was about

I think everyone needs to realize that this team only has 1 senior. Its easy to sit back and critcize the coaches when things don't go well, but give McKenna a chance to actually get his players in here.
[I]"When was the last time we actually had a gameplan?" [/I]Are you serious? This is a ridiculous post.

Note to mention only 3 juniors, 2 of which just transferred in. In a conference as tough as the MVC do you really think a team this young and having not spent a season together would do all that well? I would see if there is any improvement over the last month of the season to get a better idea of where they are as a group.

Note to mention only 3 juniors, 2 of which just transferred in. In a conference as tough as the MVC do you really think a team this young and having not spent a season together would do all that well? I would see if there is any improvement over the last month of the season to get a better idea of where they are as a group.

Point well taken, but I will pose this question - Butler has 10 freshmen and sophomores and they are continuing to roll along, ranked #21 I believe. Why do our new players need so much more time to adjust than other schools' new players? And before you say anything about the Horizon Leage (which does suck eggs), Butler's non-con schedule was pretty good...

Point well taken, but I will pose this question - Butler has 10 freshmen and sophomores and they are continuing to roll along, ranked #21 I believe. Why do our new players need so much more time to adjust than other schools' new players? And before you say anything about the Horizon Leage (which does suck eggs), Butler's non-con schedule was pretty good...

BAM! Great post! Butler just Fing real tools every year! They out recruit us (they play in a worse conf. and have stricter academic standards) and still out recruit us. How does this happen? Not to mention they get the most of their players and they have a lot better attendance than us.

BAM! Great post! Butler just Fing real tools every year! They out recruit us (they play in a worse conf. and have stricter academic standards) and still out recruit us. How does this happen? Not to mention they get the most of their players and they have a lot better attendance than us.

Well, Butler has been making the tournament regularly for a while now, putting great teams on the floor with coaches advancing to the Big 10. They're recruiting better players as a result. I'm guessing if McKenna was at Butler instead of ISU he'd be doing a lot better simply because the talent level is better. The group of young players we have now are supposed to be pretty good. Let's hope they show improvement before the end of the season, much like the football team did.

Don't look it up, but who can even name Butler's coach right now? any players on their team? Most probably can't and I don't blame you if you can not. The thing is Butler has been good and capitalized on how good they are by recruiting and staying on top of things. Indiana State had a chance to keep the ball rolling during the Menser/Renn years, but failed to recruit and sign those type of players to keep the ball rolling. Butler has been good for long enough to have a system in place where they recruit and win every year. Indiana State has just failed in starting/keeping/building a traditon to the same level as Butler.

If you look back about 8-10 years ago ISU was consistently beating Butler. Since then the Sycamores have signed and brought in much different people than the Dawgs.

We are in the MVC they are in the Horizon League for gosh sakes. How do you not recruit out of a better talent pool? Explain? Not to long ago the MVC was being mentioned as a major basketball conf. no longer considered a mid-major. We have trouble recruiting even mid-major talent at this point.

The same way that Gonzaga is in the West Coast Conference and out recruits most major conferences. The same way Boise State out of the WAC out recruits major conference schools in football. Kids go to place for the school, not the conference. Sad to say, but Butler is on that level too. It doensn't matter that they are in the Horizion League. Kids don't go there to play HL basketball, they go there because Butler is going to be good!

Back