Golden's blog - must read

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Read this new post on Golden's blog. He asked McKenna about poor shooting vs. lack of effort as the cause for the loss, and in reply he got a real zinger. Poor coach has some problems with this team. Seems they don't care enough to come in and get extra work in over break. That's a huge problem, and if not corrected, we cannot count on ANY of the current players to be winners for us. It made me sick just to read it. In the midst of a 3-12 season, with plenty of problem areas to work on, and no one feels like coming in to an open gym to get some individual work in? That's really sad. We could have John Wooden coaching here, and if the players aren't going to work at it, we still won't win.

More house cleaning might be in order after this season...:(

http://blogs.tribstar.com/downinthevalley/

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
You know, I'd understand if the gym was on the other side of town, but it's not. If there are players who aren't working hard don't bother waiting until the off season - cut them now. If we can't even win 10 games, I'd rather they find some walk ons around campus who at least put forth an honest effort.

Oh, but that's right, once we give them a scholarship we're obligated to let them stay four years and be lazy and worthless. I forgot.

Last edited:
You know, I'd understand if the gym was on the other side of town, but it's not. If there are players who aren't working hard don't bother waiting until the off season - cut them now. If we can't even win 10 games, I'd rather they find some walk ons around campus who at least put forth an honest effort.

Oh, but that's right, once we give them a scholarship we're obligated to let them stay four years and be lazy and worthless. I forgot.

:wordyo::worship2::cheers:

I think they should track down Ryan Roberts, quarterback of the football team. He was a very good basketball player in high school and was recruited to play basketball in college but opted to play football.

Again not to keep beating a dead horse but how many of these players are Waltman’s players? The biggest majority of these players are McKenna’s recruits. If these players were properly motivated to get into the gym and work a little extra they would. You know when I was in the Marine Corps there was an old saying that my Drill Instructors and First Sergeants used to use on us and it got the point across. it went like this " I can’t make you do anything But I can Highly recommend you do it or else " seemed to always get the point across you know there are little things like if you don’t care to work on your own then the next time we are together we will use the time to get acquainted with the steps in Hulman Center ,or you don’t care enough about this team to work on your own try paying for your education on your own we will use these scholarships for people who want to be here.
If I were in charge I would relieve the following people of their rights to a scholarship
1. Carter (too slow and inconsistent)
2. Leitnaker (useless from day one)
3. Printey (can’t shoot the ball into the ocean)
4. Reed (wasn’t very good on juco level worse D-1 player)

See and now we have plenty of scholarships available for the three walk-ons and still have one for someone who can rebound the damn ball

:cheers:

:headbang:

Couldn't have said it better myself... Responsibility falls upon the coaching staff to mold a team and improve each player's skills, creating positive team chemistry and being competitive. We're not improving - We're regressing...

If a player doesn't want to work on his skills over the break, cut him. Like Waltman always said when things went south, "These guys are on scholarship" ! Act like it or get out !!! I understand the desire for a young person's free time, but we're not talking about Joe Schmuckatelli in Literature class here paying his way through school. We're talking about student/athletes who are getting a full ride to represent the university and the student body in a positive manner, be competitive and win games so the students will fill up the Hulman Center and back their team. There was more school spirit shown by high school cheering sections during the Pizza Hut Classic over the Christmas break than I had ever seen in my time going to the Hulman Center to see ISU men's basketball games. All I hear in my head walking into the arena on game days is a death durge: "How are we going to blow it tonight" ? The atmosphere is horrible, no one cheers, the student section attendance is lousy, and watching this group is like watching paint dry. Heck, the pep band is the only positive we've got going. When will the madness end ???

Sorry for the rant, but this is downright frustrating...
:verysad:

I completely agree... Create an atmosphere where kids want to come in to open gyms. Seems to me their is a major leadership problem and that starts at the top with the coaching I don't care what you people think. Granted it would be nice if the kids cared enough to come into open gym but to publicly throw them under the bus about it... No wonder they didn't want to come to "open gym".

And when you are 3 and whatever why are you having "Open Gym" how about you tell them their is no such thing as open gym we are 10 games under .500. You either say it's ok that we suck or you do something about it. Some people on here seem to think it's a good idea to continue supporting a loosing effort year after year.... What makes you people think that things are looking up? And don't talk about the incoming recruiting class, I am talking about the current players and most of which are McKennas guys. Weak Sauce.

Last edited:
Read this new post on Golden's blog. He asked McKenna about poor shooting vs. lack of effort as the cause for the loss, and in reply he got a real zinger. Poor coach has some problems with this team. Seems they don't care enough to come in and get extra work in over break. That's a huge problem, and if not corrected, we cannot count on ANY of the current players to be winners for us. It made me sick just to read it. In the midst of a 3-12 season, with plenty of problem areas to work on, and no one feels like coming in to an open gym to get some individual work in? That's really sad. We could have John Wooden coaching here, and if the players aren't going to work at it, we still won't win.

More house cleaning might be in order after this season...:(

http://blogs.tribstar.com/downinthevalley/
"We could have John Wooden coaching here, and if the players aren't going to work at it, we still won't win."

If we had John Wooden here you can better believe these kids would be in the gym to please him if not for themselves. I think the bigger problem is the coach. Uninspired.

Again not to keep beating a dead horse but how many of these players are Waltman’s players? The biggest majority of these players are McKenna’s recruits. If these players were properly motivated to get into the gym and work a little extra they would. You know when I was in the Marine Corps there was an old saying that my Drill Instructors and First Sergeants used to use on us and it got the point across. it went like this " I can’t make you do anything But I can Highly recommend you do it or else " seemed to always get the point across you know there are little things like if you don’t care to work on your own then the next time we are together we will use the time to get acquainted with the steps in Hulman Center ,or you don’t care enough about this team to work on your own try paying for your education on your own we will use these scholarships for people who want to be here.
If I were in charge I would relieve the following people of their rights to a scholarship

See and now we have plenty of scholarships available for the three walk-ons and still have one for someone who can rebound the damn ball

THANK YOU! Coach is (once again) pointing fingers. He's the coach. Do something about it

Sorry, but you need to do a little research. Printy is the #3 fr in the conference in 3fg% and Carter is 7th among fr/so.

You didn't mention Richard but I thought I would mention that he is the leading fr rebounder.

One of many that could be quoted as an example, but, if I am not mistaken, it is against NCAA rules to threaten or make players practice outside of the alloted amount of time given each week. Maybe some on here are hoping that would happen so they can report the coach and get rid of him.

“The one thing I did tell our guys is … we’re on Christmas break right now. We have no classes. We’ve had the gym open the last couple of nights for our guys to come in and get 15, 20, 30 minutes of extra shots. We had one guy come in one night, it was one of our walk-on players. I think each guy individually needs to look in the mirror and ask themselves, ‘Am I doing everything I can to be the best player I can be? Can I improve myself as best I can to be that good player?’

In response to this comment from "Da Coach" I know personally that this a incorrect statement, maybe this particular day only one person showed up, but what about the other off days, other player(s) actually showed up for shoot around without his knowledge of their "WORKING OUT/SHOOTING?
McKenna should stop makking excussing for his lack of coaching (If he wants to go there and be a man and take the blame) !!!

Sorry, but you need to do a little research. Printy is the #3 fr in the conference in 3fg% and Carter is 7th among fr/so.

You didn't mention Richard but I thought I would mention that he is the leading fr rebounder.

Richard and Pritney are both weak sauce and other people are starting to notice. Stats can be deceptive don't buy into the stats. Watch the games! Pritney shoots the ball like 3 times a game, that's it! No wonder he shoots a decent percentage. The kid needs to be a little more selfish. Don't get me started on Richard, are you serious?

Richard and Pritney are both weak sauce and other people are starting to notice. Stats can be deceptive don't buy into the stats. Watch the games! Pritney shoots the ball like 3 times a game, that's it! No wonder he shoots a decent percentage. The kid needs to be a little more selfish. Don't get me started on Richard, are you serious?

They're both freshman. It would be nice if they were remarkable from day one, but that's expecting a bit much. We have a young team, especially at the guard positions, so I don't expect them to be outstanding from the start. I do expect them to try hard and practice as much as their time permits. Studying obviously comes first, but obviously they need the practice to get better.

Your optimism and post was appreciated although misplaced it might have been. It might not be fair to judge these kids as young kids fresh out of high school but that is exactly what I am going to do and what goes on mesg. boards across the country. Richard, Pritney and Cutler are just 3 players that do not overly impress me. I have trouble looking at these guys and going, "Oh yeah these guys are going to be good in 2 years, give them time". You all wanted to do that with your boy Isiah Martin last year. Everyone said man give this kid a year or two.... Well that's a great attitude and all but the kid has digressed. That might be a product of poor coaching or the fans over rating him or both. When you see Richard play what impresses you? The fact that he has decent size and appears to be athletic? When did that make you Division 1 ball player. He has 0 shot, he can't bang what so ever, he can't elevate at all, poor dribbler. Look my intention is not to be little the guys. But can you tell me what you see in some of these guys that I am not seeing. All you ever say is give them time, give them time. They are on college scholarships they are running out of time each day. They have an obligation to do the deal! Freaking bring it every day! Unless you have played college athletics you might not understand the concept. I can tell you these guys seem to just go through the motions folks. They aint earning the cash!

you can shoot a high percentage for a game (IUPUI)and then not shoot much after that and still have a high percentage for the season. he does not shoot. and lets not make him look like he is fresh out of high school he is in his 2nd year ( redshirted last year) he is horrible and should be the next person cut from this team

Back