Hey all you students out there...

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
I gotta ask - WHAT WILL IT TAKE TO GET YOUR FELLOW STUDENTS TO SHOW UP??? The student attendance last night was way beyond pathetic. Those that were there were FANTASTIC, and I really believe contributed to our win.

That said, what is keeping students away? What would you do to get the students to show up if you worked in the athletic department? They obviously need ideas, so let 'em rip fellas...

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

SydCamore

The Captain Level
First off, let the students know that there is a game going on. When I attended ISU, which was a short time ago, there were never mentions of the games.

There needs to be more advertising in the Dorms.

There needs to be more of a push to get the Fraternities involved. Have contests between all the Greek organizations. Each house will bring 10 or 15 guys/girls.

Superfan312

The Varsity Level
Actually, John Sherman said he made it worth Greek points, and put up a bunch of flyers, but the students just tore them down.

sycamore51

The Varsity Level
I honestly think that ISU will have to raise it's national profile a little before the students will start coming. A lot of the students are IU, Purdue, or Illinois fans. They would rather sit on the couch or in the dorm and watch one of those schools play on tv than come to a game for their own school. It's hard to be a Sycamore fan with little or no national coverage. I live in Southern Indiana, only 2 1/2 hours or so away and I'm about the only Sycamore fan down here. And I live in Sellersburg, home of Matt Renn and not too far from French Lick. It's just not sexy to be an ISU fan right now.

Sycamore624

The Wade Level
I actualy placed a call to John this morning about the students and shared some ideals with him. I'm waiting for him to call me back again this afternoon and I'll let everyone know what I find out.

John Sherman needs to cease with the stupid shooting games during timeouts. It can lull an already quiet crowd to sleep & takes away from any enthusiasm the crowd might exhibit. Also, his screaming in the microphone hurts my ears. Really need to get away from this stuff before next season.

SycamorePsycho

The Varsity Level
I really think it is just going take a couple winning seasons before students start showing up. People lose interest in a team that hasnt had a winning season in a while. I am a student and I have been to almost every home game. If I dont go to a game the only reason why is that I went home. Whenever I am there I scream until I have almost lost my voice. The students that are there at every game are awesome. I really think we are going to be very good next year with the recruits we have coming in. And I think when they get good there will be a big turn around in attendance.

F

Father Moose

Sparkettes

One thing that could help, back in my day,,1975-79, the sparkettes wore some eye opening uniforms. Now it looks like they are weareing "grannie panties" gross :evileye: How about some eye candy:bigsmile::sycamores:

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
I was a student (for many years) in the nineties...and it was the same then too...hard to get students to come to the games.

Nothballa is right...it'll take winning seasons to get the student attendance up. And I think having McKenna as our coach and recruiter is a step in the right direction.

ISU isn't the only mid-major with this problem. Hello, nationally ranked Butler....their game on Feb 14th only drew 4,700...about half the capacity of Hinkle.

Anyway, living far away...I love SycamoreVision even with it's imperfections.

Go State.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
In 2000-2001, every home game seemed to have about 7500-8000 people. The key was, "we were winning".

Remember, we live in fairweather America.

I remember about 8-9 years ago, nobody liked the Colts. You could buy lower level seats at the RCA Dome for 5 dollars. Now that they are good, everybody is all of the sudden a Colts fan. The same thing will happen with ISU.

We don't have many "True" fans around here. The True fans are those of us that go to or watch every game and talk about the teams on this messageboard.

I

ISUBBALLBAND

I am starting to wonder if the student attendance will go up even if we do start having winning seasons. I mean, I have not missed a home game besides maybe over the breaks yet this year. It is just pathetic that the Hulman Center is three blocks away from the dorms and it is FREE for the students. I honestly have to say, that there may very well have been more people actually show up to my old High-School games than here at ISU. The athletic department really needs to try something different in hopes of getting a larger student section.

btisu22

The Varsity Level
In 2000-2001, every home game seemed to have about 7500-8000 people. The key was, "we were winning".

Remember, we live in fairweather America.

I remember about 8-9 years ago, nobody liked the Colts. You could buy lower level seats at the RCA Dome for 5 dollars. Now that they are good, everybody is all of the sudden a Colts fan. The same thing will happen with ISU.

We don't have many "True" fans around here. The True fans are those of us that go to or watch every game and talk about the teams on this messageboard.
Hey, don't say nobody. I've been one of the Colts faithful since '84. Just giving you a hard time, I know what you meant! We start winning and we'll get true fans, but it can't be a sting of 2-3 good seasons and then hit the tank again. I don't think it will happen that way again. You are right with what you say Sydcadm.
:sycamores:

btisu22

The Varsity Level
I am starting to wonder if the student attendance will go up even if we do start having winning seasons. I mean, I have not missed a home game besides maybe over the breaks yet this year. It is just pathetic that the Hulman Center is three blocks away from the dorms and it is FREE for the students. I honestly have to say, that there may very well have been more people actually show up to my old High-School games than here at ISU. The athletic department really needs to try something different in hopes of getting a larger student section.
They'll come after a good start next year. When I was at state, fall 94-spring 97, no students went. It was me and about 20 others. It was so bad that the players would actully carry a conversation with us during the games. It was that easy to pick out who was jawing them. In those years we won 7 games, 10 games and 12 games and only 4 the year before I got to State. Then came the Menser/Renn years. While the Hulman Center and student attendence picked up a little by the end of the year (helped by the hype of the Mr. Basketball for Indiana runner-up coming, Menser), the bandwagon didn't get rolling until their 2nd year.

The last couple of years the attendence started picking up by January because of great starts. Heck, even last year during the home Creighton game we had over 5500 there and Colts were playing a playoff game up through the tip off. I didn't think we would have gotten close to that number. Then came the long losing streaks that pleagued us for 2-3 seasons. I think that hurt us this year. People are thinking,"I'm not falling into that trap again", but the Sycamores have fought off that streak this year.

The students will come, trust me.
:sycamores: