Holmstrom's Scolarship not to be renewed

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
NEW: Holmstrom's scholarship not renewed by ISU men's basketball

Indiana State guard Cole Holmstrom was informed today that his men?s basketball scholarship would not be renewed for the 2008-09 season.

More...

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I don't like hearing this news but I kinda saw something like this coming. I don't know all the details but I'm not a fan of taking away a kids scholly when it "appears" he hasn't done anything wrong. I thought he might transfer since his playing time was drasticaly reduced under Coach McKenna but just to revoke his scholarship is shabby of the staff in my opinion. Cole showed his freshman year he can be a serouis thrreat from outside when open. Unless we find out he did something we don't know about or viloated a team rule I don't like revoking kids schollys, espicaly when it appears he wants to be at State.

holmstrom's scholly

I do feel bad for Holmstrom the kid, but this is D 1 college atheletics, and this stuff happens. It also confirms what we all saw this season that he just doesn't fit into the system mckenna is implementing, which in my opinion, is one that will have far greater, and more consistent success than waltman's system did. It is the kind of system that will allow him to recruit a better, and higher caliber of players than waltman ever did, or at least in the last 5 years.

If they think they can find a better player this late in the recruiting season that certainly tells you they didn't expect much out of Cole.

I think it's an indication of 2 things. His shooting has not improved in the individual workouts, and it's also a matter of need for the team. We definitely need some bigs or some athletic wings.

Players are usually recruited for a specific position/purpose in mind. I don't think he was recruited for his defensive ability or for rebounding. Obviously it must have been for his high school 3-pt ability. That shooting percentage disappeared in D1 basketball. Scholarships are for an annual basis and I would expect individual performance to be rated annually. I would have reached the same conclusion that has been made in this case.

waltman

This also goes back to my statement in regards to the type and caliber of player waltman recruited versus the type mckenna is after.

Coach Mac has run off his first recruit and now Cole. I can't wait to cheer for someone else. :naughty: 380,000 will graduate in something other than athletics. Hey coach, Bassett is still available, seams to me he is your kind of guy.

I can see both sides to this, but it's fair. He got 2 free years. If your grades aren't high enough, you can lose an academic scholarship. Athletic scholarships are the same. Is it fair for a player to do all of that work and then ride the bench all year? If he's there for academics, he probably should focus on that anyway.

Coach Mac has run off his first recruit and now Cole. I can't wait to cheer for someone else. :naughty: 380,000 will graduate in something other than athletics. Hey coach, Bassett is still available, seams to me he is your kind of guy.

I do feel sorry for Cole but the reality of it is ISU has been a bottom dweller for decades. Unfortunately, the level of talent we have brought in has been subpar with the rest of our conference. This definitely goes for Football and probably Baseball. The statement about 380,000 will graduate in something other than athletics is spot on, however those 380,000 didn't have tuition, room & board and books paid for by their universities. Those that did have scholarships had to meet certain performance levels, i.e. GPA. Athletic scholarships come with that same type of expectations but it is performance in the playing field. Nobody is taking away the opportunity for him to get an education. He is a student and I assume is/will be academically eligible for classes next year and the year after. He can graduate with the rest of the 380,000 unfortunately just not on ISU's dime.

Bill Parcels once said, "If I'm expected to make diner, I want to have a say in the groceries". If McKenna is expected to win in our conference, he needs to get the proper players in here.

I have a feeling that Prettyman has made it very clear in no uncertain terms what the expectations are for the programs. His actions with existing underperforming coach?s sets the precedence for what will be done with the ones he hired if the same continues. If in 4 years, we have not cracked the top 3 in the conference you bet people will be calling for his head. Our athletic department has been a JOKE, an absolute embarassment, for the last 1/4 century. I am glad we finally have a no BS coach and AD. The other type got us to the bottom of the conference.

:sycamores:

That's right. You don't take a kid who was on the All-Freshman team last season and not even use him this season. Mean while Drake has a walk on become the MVC player of the year. He was within his rights as a coach to sit him but in no way shape or form did he have any right to make the kid feel like he had no self worth. And that is exactly what he did. Cole's fault was being a square peg for the round hole and a coach who didn't want to spend the time and effort to work with that. What's the definition of coach again?

Yeh, I'm pissed!

Not a D1 player..................................sorry. Lot's of better 3-pt. shooters out there.

WTF...This is not youth sports were they don't keep score and everybody is a winner. This is D1 NCAA Basketball and McKenna does not have to take what is was given. An athletic scholarship is basically pay for services. If the services are not satisfactory or not what you need, the pay stops. If coach benched him for a 2 years, that is wasted opportunity for both parties and nobody is happy.

Sorry, every player had last season to prove themselves; some didn't.

Like I said "All-Freshman" team. You, KMac and Bassett will make great bed fellows.:(

Strange, you seem to be forgetting that another member of that all-freshman team responded to the coaching change pretty well. So I'd say that Cole had the chance to prove himself.

And where do you get off comparing any of McKenna's recruits to Armon Bassett? Last I knew, we didn't really have any problems of that nature. That's a low blow that's not fair to the current coaching staff.

Geez, once the rest of the conference figured out how to guard Cole, he couldn't produce. He's a step too slow for this level of D-I ball. It happens. Cole's a good kid, he'll land on his feet. If you get to this level of basketball and don't realize that it's not the YMCA league anymore, then you haven't been paying attention. House cleanings happen all the time when coaches change. It's life. Same thing happens in the real world, too. If he can't take this level of disappointment, then he's going to have bigger problems in life than this...

Grow up Hooper#5. Your comparisons are ridiculous. This is D1 basketball, and there isn't a program in the country who hasn't pulled scholarships because of lack of performance. Rick Majerus at the Jesuit St. Louis University just pulled he schollies of practically every returning player.

I tend to agree with #5 on this matter. I'm sure there's something going on here that we don't know about, but I don't agree with pulling his scholarship unless he's done something wrong. He is a good player, granted we are very guard heavy right now, but we still had one open. I still believe in coach, but I don't agree with this move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back