ISU (23-20, 8-10 MVC) vs. DBU (33-18, 11-7 MVC)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

landrus13

The JSW Level
Dallas Baptist comes to TH this weekend to close out the regular season. ISU has lost 6 straight while DBU comes in after a series win over Evansville.

ISU looks to save face and get back on the winning track. Pitching staff has been very underwhelming this year. Offense has shown flashes but ultimately hasn't gotten the job done late in the season. ISU gonna need a STRONG showing in the MVC tourney to win the tourney and make the NCAA tourney.

I'm not sure ISU isn't ready for this season to end with the way they've been playing the last few weeks.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
At the rate we're going, we could have a LOSING record, the 1st since 2008 & Lindsey Meggs! Something to think about if you're an A.D. & HC. We all have opinions, but "somethung ain't workun."

The disappointing part is that we actually have a pretty good team. The lack of depth at pitching is ultimately what has killed us this season, and now that we are really late into the season it is showing big time. We only need one win against DBU to clinch a winning season. I'm not going to pretend that I'm overly optimistic that it will happen, but DBU has been wildly inconsistent this season. I also think we're kind of due for a win, so fingers crossed.

At the rate we're going, we could have a LOSING record, the 1st since 2008 & Lindsey Meggs! Something to think about if you're an A.D. & HC. We all have opinions, but "somethung ain't workun."

This is the most ignorant statement I've read on this bored.

Btw, SB, who tossed that 3-run "gopher ball" during the 14-3 loss in Game #2 to SIU to create a 7 inning "Slaughter Rule" loss for the Sycs? Talk about "ignorant"....how many pitches - 4?

Bank, let's back up here. This is board that I share my opinion and you share yours. It's obvisous we don't agree but that makes for discussion.

Back to the topic, one year with adversity following two back to back NCAA appearances does not warrant someone to be on the hot seat. Tell me who will replace Coach Hannahs and his staff and do a better job. He has out performed Lindsay Meggs and Rick Heller on all fronts. You remember in 2014 when Heller left and the Sycamores were projected to finish last in the MVC that year? I'll remind everyone, Hannahs took a team with less talent he has today and rallied them together to NCAA at-large berth. That team had some ball players but no pitching depth due to injuries and talent inquired. Heck, he probably has a list of schools wanting him to come lead their program and we are lucky he is still here. If the day comes and he does leave, he raised the bar and set the expectations for Sycamore Baseball.

Btw, SB, who tossed that 3-run "gopher ball" during the 14-3 loss in Game #2 to SIU to create a 7 inning "Slaughter Rule" loss for the Sycs? Talk about "ignorant"....how many pitches - 4?
What's ignorant is your calling for Hannahs to be on the hot seat.

Leave the freshman Gauer alone. Goodness, he is a freshman that is pitching in a 11-3 ballgame in the 7th inning. Who do you want on the mound. Everyone has a role in certain situations and that's a role for a freshman who you are working on developing. What is your deal with this kid, seriously?

I inferred that our baseball-background A.D. & HC have a reasonable discussion surrounding issues which have surfaced this season. and possible tweaks available to prevent such repeat. No mention whatsoever re: the firing of Hannahs.

As far as Gauer, you're the one that thinks ISU is simply a "developmental program" for anyone who can wing a FB at 90+ mph out of HS. The SIU game AGAIN showed why there's more to "mound mastery" than just velocity. The tying run @ Vandy on a stolen home plate v. an ISU frosh LHP also demonstrated the skills of pitching beyond "velocity."
I suggested that Gauer be "farmed out" to a JC to get the INNINGS he needs to become a pitcher, yet you seemed offended by the idea. Do you really think that ISU can afford to "experiment" with an unproven product?

I inferred that our baseball-background A.D. & HC have a reasonable discussion surrounding issues which have surfaced this season. and possible tweaks available to prevent such repeat. No mention whatsoever re: the firing of Hannahs.

As far as Gauer, you're the one that thinks ISU is simply a "developmental program" for anyone who can wing a FB at 90+ mph out of HS. The SIU game AGAIN showed why there's more to "mound mastery" than just velocity. The tying run @ Vandy on a stolen home plate v. an ISU frosh LHP also demonstrated the skills of pitching beyond "velocity."
I suggested that Gauer be "farmed out" to a JC to get the INNINGS he needs to become a pitcher, yet you seemed offended by the idea. Do you really think that ISU can afford to "experiment" with an unproven product?
Thank you for the clarification regardig Hannahs.

Any program is a developmental program for a young guy that can throw 90+ MPH out of HS. Trust me, I know there is more to pitching than velocity but velocity isn't taught. Considering I went to a JUCO and topped 82 MPH, I have no problems or issues with JUCO but I do think there are kids you bring into your program and develop internally and I have no issues with pitching these guys in the situations they are pitching in. If some kids get farmed out, they develop into Power 5 guys and you don't get a chance at them. That's are difference and I'm don't need you to agree with me.

The Vandy steal of home run was a lack of experience and cost ISU the game, no doubt. In some situations, you have to use who is the best available. Those situations are practiced in the fall and unfortunatetly the young kid got beat in Nashville, but I bet it won't happen again.

Expensive "lesson," when you're up by a run w/ 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th against the #24 team in America and perennial top programs in America. Was his vision of the runner @ 3B obscured by his long hair, did he simply fail to hold the runner tight @ 3rd, or a combo of both? Personally, knowing the Vandy 3B runner was 32/32 SB during the season, I would not have left an inexperienced 1st yr. LH pitcher in the game, given the inherent viewing difficulty facing a southpaw.

As frustrating as it can be sometimes, the mid-week games are when you use your developing pitchers. The important games are on the weekends when you're playing a 3 game series, particularly against a conference school. The other games in a way are practice.

The problem we've had this season is that our relievers can't seem to get the job done. Whether that's from a lack of experience or if we need to do some recruiting, I honestly have no idea, but hopefully that gets fixed next season. I think Hannah's has done a great job here and I hope he's here for many years to come.

Expensive "lesson," when you're up by a run w/ 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th against the #24 team in America and perennial top programs in America. Was his vision of the runner @ 3B obscured by his long hair, did he simply fail to hold the runner tight @ 3rd, or a combo of both? Personally, knowing the Vandy 3B runner was 32/32 SB during the season, I would not have left an inexperienced 1st yr. LH pitcher in the game, given the inherent viewing difficulty facing a southpaw.
Tough lesson. They had Vanderbilt beat, 9th inning blew up and they went to the bullpen three times in the 9th. I'm sure everyone on the team, coaches, and fans alike wanted that win and don't like how the whole inning unholded. But it happened and I'm not going to second guess Hannahs. He probably knows more about the game than me and you combined. As you can tell, I don't second guess him. I have too much respect for the man and know he hates losing more than he enjoys winning. So you can second guess him all you want and I will be here to defend him.

As frustrating as it can be sometimes, the mid-week games are when you use your developing pitchers. The important games are on the weekends when you're playing a 3 game series, particularly against a conference school. The other games in a way are practice.

The problem we've had this season is that our relievers can't seem to get the job done. Whether that's from a lack of experience or if we need to do some recruiting, I honestly have no idea, but hopefully that gets fixed next season. I think Hannah's has done a great job here and I hope he's here for many years to come.
I agree with your comment regarding mid-week games, expect they aren't in a way of practice. Your top of the line weekend SP's are the only guys not getting action and more pitchers are getting opportunities. It's a good opportunity for guy down on the pecking order to move up. They are played to win and usually each team has a similar approach in how they use their pitching staff, especially when you have multiple mid-week games in a week. They are bullpen games and you are working to piece the pitching together to get you to the end with a win and leave guys ready for the weekend.

Lucky for us fans, the Sycamores mid-week games are against good competion in the Midwest and resume building opportunities. I'm glad Vanderbilt is on the schedule year out.

The comment regarding his hair obstructing his vision is pretty funny. I assume if you were a coach you would incorporate the New York Yankees hair/facial hair policy. I highly doubt his hair prevented him from seeing 3rd base. Vanderbilt gambled big time in that situation and it paid off. I tip my hat to them and Coach Corbin having the balls to try that. It was good coaching and a well calculated risk knowing their was a freshman on the mound and in a heighten environment.

Sycamores are trying to seal the deal tonight,
Schaffer is a ball player.
Coach Hannahs got the boot in the 8th. Terrible call and Coach let the umpire know.

Sycamores are trying to seal the deal tonight,
Schaffer is a ball player.
Coach Hannahs got the boot in the 8th. Terrible call and Coach let the umpire know.
What happened on the Hannah's "boot?" I can't ever recall his ejection...player or coach! Btw, the biggest SO of the game was when Spencer caught DBU 1B Chase Moore looking on a 3rd strike in the 7th inning, w/ runners on 1st & 2nd & 2 outs! Moore has been on a rampage lately...

You were once a pitcher, right? Do you think these artificial mounds are disrupting the continuity of performance among teams like ISU which use the "natural" dirt, thus allowing for the manicure of a landing spot to fit the follow through?

Back