ISU Hall of Famer Cheryl Pedlow Honored by Daughter in TV Ad

SycamoreSage

The Captain Level
Many of you watching the Olympic Games on NBC have seen the testimonial by US Olympic distance runner Shalane Flanagan "thanking her Mom" for being there from the day she finished her first race as a child until today. The testimonial is aprt of an ad sponsored by Johnson & Johnson.

Flanagan, of course, is the daughter of Cheryl Pedlow (Flanagan) Treworgy, the former ISU distance runner who became the first female ever to receive an athletic scholarship to a public university. Cheryl, who went to high school at Indianapilis North Central, trained with the ISU men?s team and united with three other women to place second in the national championship meet in 1969.

Pedlow was the indoor women?s mile champion that year and went on to place fourth in the 1969 world cross country championships. She held the U. S. record for three miles at one time and the world record in the women's marathon. She was a member of five American world cross country teams and coached for a time before getting into other phases of sports-related businesses, including sports photography. She also designed and marketed a sports bra. Cheryl was inducted into the ISU Athletics Hall of Fame many years ago.

While a student at the University of North Carolina, Shalane won the NCAA Cross Country Championship in Terre Haute. Cheryl returns to Terre Haute annually for the NCAA cross county meet and the Pre Meet Invitational. On those occasions, she usually speaks to the ISU cross country and track teams at the request of coaches John McNichols and John Gartland.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
Flanagan 3rd!

as you all have seen Shalane Flanagan was 3rd in the 10k Friday in Beijing. Indiana State gets a mention in the USA Today article about her race.

"On the backstretch, she found her mother, Cheryl Treworgy, and they embraced. Treworgy, a pioneering runner who was once asked to leave the track at her Indianapolis high school, understands an athlete's struggles better than most.

As Cheryl (Pedlow) Bridges, she ran college track at Indiana State and set a marathon world record. She said her daughter has earned worldwide respect for not ceding the distances to Africans."

article link

SycamoreSage

The Captain Level
Link to 10,000-meter run

Since NBC apparently chose not to telecast the Women's 10,000 meters on its television networks, I am providing a link to motion picture highlights from the race as presented on NBColympics.com. Nice clips of Cheryl watching her daughter race. The 10,000 meters begins at about the 33.00 mark and is interrupted.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0815_hd_atb_en085&channelcode=sportat

Cheryl's first husband was Larry Bridges, the former Terre Haute Gerstmeyer and ISU distance runner who was an assistant track coach during Cheryl's college career.

Last edited:

ISUCC

The Odum Level
SS, NBC SUCKS! yesterday they had a link for the entire women's 10,000 meter run, you could literally watch the entire race with no commentary, just running, and they pulled it overnight! Ugh!

Since NBC apparently chose not to telecast the Women's 10,000 meters on its television networks, I am providing a link to motion picture highlights from the race as presented on NBColympics.com. Nice clips of Cheryl watching her daughter race. The 10,000 meters begins at about the 33.00 mark and is interrupted.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0815_hd_atb_en085&channelcode=sportat

Cheryl's first husband was Larry Bridges, the former Terre Haute Gerstmeyer and ISU distance runner who was an assistant track coach during Cheryl's college career.

SycamoreSage

The Captain Level
Check the link in my last message

Isn't that the link I provided in my last message. ISUCC? It is almost the entire race, with a few interruptions for commercials.

For those who do not find watching the entire 10,000 meters exciting, move the bar up to about the 40.00 minute mark and watch the rest of the race. It was dramatic and emotional, perhaps even more so for me since I know Cheryl and met Shalane when she won the NCAA cross country championship meet here in 2003 (?) Watching the frequent shots of Cheryl throughout the race screaming for Shalane is an emotional treat, too.

Please keep in mind that Shalane (and several other American athletes) were down for three days with food poisoning, beginning just five days ago. Yet, with only two days to regain heer strength, she established an American record in the 10,000 meters and became only the second American woman to medal in the event in Olympic history. With that background, it is easier for a novice fan to get caught up with cheering somebody on to a third place finish.

By the way, Shalane qualified in the 5,000 meters, too.

One of the three American 10,000-meter runners, Amy Yoder, was an outstanding Indiana high school cross country and distance runner. However, she finished far back in the pack.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
SS, that link is the exact same footage from what was on NBC early Sat. morning, like at 1am. They show the 1st 3 laps and the last 4 laps of the women's 10k. Nothing in between, so you don't get to see the breakaways at all.

The link they had on the NBC site last night was a 5 hr. video link with all track and field coverage from the whole day Friday. It had the women's 10k from gun to tape without any commercials and no commentators. It was great, and what do they do? Remove it.

I just watched the men's 10k live on the internet this morning and now I see it's supposed to be on the NBC coverage sometime during the day today, I will bet they'll show about the same amount as they did from the women's race, and maybe less since no Americans placed in the top 10. It's sad, bec. it was a great race to watch, thank God for the internet so we don't have to wait 13 hrs. to see tape delayed track and field.

Isn't that the link I provided in my last message. ISUCC? It is almost the entire race, with a few interruptions for commercials.

For those who do not find watching the entire 10,000 meters exciting, move the bar up to about the 40.00 minute mark and watch the rest of the race. It was dramatic and emotional, perhaps even more so for me since I know Cheryl and met Shalane when she won the NCAA cross country championship meet here in 2003 (?) Watching the frequent shots of Cheryl throughout the race screaming for Shalane is an emotional treat, too.

Please keep in mind that Shalane (and several other American athletes) were down for three days with food poisoning, beginning just five days ago. Yet, with only two days to regain heer strength, she established an American record in the 10,000 meters and became only the second American woman to medal in the event in Olympic history. With that background, it is easier for a novice fan to get caught up with cheering somebody on to a third place finish.

By the way, Shalane qualified in the 5,000 meters, too.

One of the three American 10,000-meter runners, Amy Yoder, was an outstanding Indiana high school cross country and distance runner. However, she finished far back in the pack.