ISU naming it's court after the wrong person?

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
the Pantagraph sure thinks so:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2008/11/07/usports/doc49137a3cb7f9e024709432.txt

so does the Wichita paper:

"? Indiana State announced Monday it will name its basketball court after John Wooden during a ceremony before Saturday's exhibition game against Albion.

A few questions:

First, who is Albion? And why are the Sycamores honoring one of the most legendary figures in college basketball history before a game against Albion? What's the expected crowd for this one? Is there an expected crowd for this one?

Now, a couple of comments.

It seems odd that Indiana State waited all this time to honor Wooden, who coached two seasons for the Sycamores (1946-48) before moving on to UCLA, where he led the Bruins to 10 national championships.

Wooden, who turned 98 this month, deserves every honor bestowed upon him, of course. This one just seems a little self-serving.

When I think of Wooden, I do not think of Indiana State.

Why doesn't ISU name the court after Larry Bird?"

http://www.kansas.com/sports/lutz/story/584370.html

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Interesting. You should never name a court or stadium after a former player in my opinion. I'm not even sure you should with a coach, but if you're going to Wooden is the best choice. He was always an Indiana native and coach even after going to UCLA (he had as much to do with our state's tradition as a basketball state as anyone) and that started with his days as coach and athletic director of our Sycamores. Most people forget he ever coached at ISU.

Screw the notion that Indiana State wasn't a huge part of his success. He got his name here and made a historic decision as ISU's coach that should far out weigh anything he accomplished in terms of wins and championships at UCLA. Of course it doesn't in our win-minded society, but I say it's a good move by ISU. Call attention to what he did at our school. As for Larry, he already has a street named after him right outside, granted it's only a block long, but it's more than most people get.

I haven't read up on this, but assume given his health that he won't be at the event in person.

One other thought - I'm sure Wichita State and Illinois State would love to have legends like Larry Bird and John Wooden affiliated with their basketball programs, so who are their sports writers to criticize us? Who are their courts named after? Doug Collins? WOW!!!!! There is a name that rings in the hearts of basketball fans everywhere.

Last edited:
Personal, but related.................................the first college game I ever attended was on 12/5/1964 in the old ISU Arena which was packed to the rafters with 4000+ (remember standing the whole game alongside a rail) when Coach Wooden brought his defending champion Bruins to Terre Haute to play the Sycamores. That team led by Gail Goodrich won 112-76 and even though they lost a couple of games that season won a 2nd consecutive NCAA Championship.

This just points out that Indiana State has a long way to go in reaching out to, and being rightly proud of, its long and storied basketball history. Wooden's stand with Clarence Walker alone is justification for this ceremony. Throw in the fact that he honed his coaching methodology at ISU, and won 75% of his games here, and it's a good move.

I've said for years that I'd have Wooden's name and Bird's name all over everything associated with the basketball program. Two of the most important names in college basketball history, and they both came through ISU. That's something to be proud of, not hide from.

I applaud ISU for taking this important step toward recognizing our tradition!!!!

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

The court should have been named after Coach Bob King, former Head Coach and Athletic Director at ISU.
If you know anything about the history of ISU basketball it is a no-brainer that Coach King is deserving of some sort of recognition as it relates to the history of ISU basketball.

No more needs to be said!!!

Since we’ve started Hulman Center renovations and I’m bored, I looked up this thread. Now, I’m a big Wooden fan and proud he started his career here, and appreciate all he did. I just question the decision to put his name on the court. I think an area on the concourse detailing his connection to ISU would have been more appropriate. Gonna be hard to ever take it off now, and expensive. I hear we would have to pay money to take it off now, as the rights are owned by a sports marketing firm. The fact that we’d have to pay to get rid of it, is just another example of incompetence by the previous administration.

Since we’ve started Hulman Center renovations and I’m bored, I looked up this thread. Now, I’m a big Wooden fan and proud he started his career here, and appreciate all he did. I just question the decision to put his name on the court. I think an area on the concourse detailing his connection to ISU would have been more appropriate. Gonna be hard to ever take it off now, and expensive. I hear we would have to pay money to take it off now, as the rights are owned by a sports marketing firm. The fact that we’d have to pay to get rid of it, is just another example of incompetence by the previous administration.

Man are you brave for writing that! If I had written that, the SNIPERS would be out in full force questioning my sanity and the stupidity of the comment.

Even more to question is the adding of his wife's name. Seriously, who does something like that, and why would we? It looks like a complete SELL-OUT.

In parallel to naming something after someone, here are the names of all NCAA Arenas...and NOT one includes the spouse, to prove the point.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_basketball_arenas

And what did she do for ISU to deserve that? Did she send money back during the 50 years she was away from Indiana State? Did she fight for more women's sports teams at ISU? Did she donate a million dollars to the Athletic Department upon her death in 1985? Need fact-check from 07 on the year.

There's probably dozens of other WOMEN connected to ISU as alumni, employees, administrators, atheletes, etc. who deserved to have their name honored before Nellie did.

And when we did add their names, she had been deceased for almost a quarter of a century, and Wooden himself was in failing health when we scurried to honor him....and his wife. Why then? Heck...name something after him (and Nellie) in the 60's, 70's, 80's, or 90's!

And that previous administration was Ron Prettyman. It was his 3rd year at ISU (at least that's how I remember, but sg07 will need to fact check). Just for the purposes of discussion, does anyone recall the history behind this nonsensical decision? Did it start in the AD's office, or the university president's office, etc.?

Last edited:

Only at ISU would “fans” question naming the court after the most successful coach of all time, who honed his coaching skills at ISU, and held the single season record for wins until 1979.

And for the record, Coach Wooden requested his wife’s name be on the court with his. Just as he did when UCLA named the court at Pauley Pavilion after the couple. https://www.google.com/amp/s/pac-12...mes-basketball-court-nell-and-john-wooden?amp

I cannot fathom why anyone would question plastering Wooden’s and Bird’s names all over everything connected with ISU basketball. Arguably the two biggest names in the history of college basketball, and they both came through ISU. Celebrate that history, don’t denigrate it!

Only at ISU would “fans” question naming the court after the most successful coach of all time, who honed his coaching skills at ISU, and held the single season record for wins until 1979.

And for the record, Coach Wooden requested his wife’s name be on the court with his. Just as he did when UCLA named the court at Pauley Pavilion after the couple. https://www.google.com/amp/s/pac-12...mes-basketball-court-nell-and-john-wooden?amp

I cannot fathom why anyone would question plastering Wooden’s and Bird’s names all over everything connected with ISU basketball. Arguably the two biggest names in the history of college basketball, and they both came through ISU. Celebrate that history, don’t denigrate it!

There has been a lot about Wooden that has been seeping out over the last couple years, especially relating to how he was recruiting players. A lot of it is centered around UCLA giving Kareem everything he wanted to come to LA.

As I said, I’m all for honoring him and his accomplishments. I just don’t get naming the court after him. He coached at the university for 2 years, and obviously not at Hulman Center. If you’re gonna put a name on that court and want it legitimate, it should be Larry Bird. He is the only reason most basketball fans have ever heard of ISU. The fact we would have to pay to remove Woodens name is incredible.

There has been a lot about Wooden that has been seeping out over the last couple years, especially relating to how he was recruiting players. A lot of it is centered around UCLA giving Kareem everything he wanted to come to LA.

“Rose and Sam Gilbert Court?”

Not sure how many people realize Wooden always owned the fact there was shady recruiting at UCLA all those years.

“There’s as much crookedness as you want to find. There was something Abraham Lincoln said — he'd rather trust and be disappointed than distrust and be miserable all the time. Maybe I trusted too much." —Wooden to the LA Times in 1981.

I am definitely against naming the court after Larry Bird. He can't even be bothered to show up to a game or support the university unless we're honoring him in some way. His statue outside and the street name are enough.

Not that it is likely to happen, but suppose for a moment that we did take Wooden's name off the court. I think most fans would be in favor of naming it after Duane Klueh as much as anyone else associated with ISU.

Have you ever heard of the expression, two wrong decisions, don't make a right decision? That's what happened there....

Having Larry and John's name together might fowl things at the arena. Think about WOODEN BIRD plastered everwhere? Today's Millennial's may believe we're worshiping some ancient Wabash Valley, Indian artifact!

I am definitely against naming the court after Larry Bird. He can't even be bothered to show up to a game or support the university unless we're honoring him in some way. His statue outside and the street name are enough.

I wonder what ever happened to Larry's personal "Get on your feet Sycamore fans!" video during the player intros? That was cool of him to do that IMO. I've only been to two home games so far this year and both times walked into the arena right during intros so I may have missed it but I think it's gone, no?

I wonder what ever happened to Larry's personal "Get on your feet Sycamore fans!" video during the player intros? That was cool of him to do that IMO. I've only been to two home games so far this year and both times walked into the arena right during intros so I may have missed it but I think it's gone, no?

Yep. Gone. Now the PA guy says it...

Back