ISU opting out of Spring Football Season

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
But the MVFC University Presidents voted for and approved this 19-game “bad idea.” So the plan all along was to play in the Spring and Fall. The Covid numbers are bad but FBS figured a way to play games. What specifically changed to cause ISU to pull the plug?
We don’t have the money.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Only thing that makes sense is they didn't want to pay for the COVID testing and logistics surrounding it.

treeman

The Newsom Level
Spring ball was a dumb idea to begin with. I couldn’t imagine playing in the spring then turning around and try to do a fall season. There is no money game. Plus with FBS finishing up as we speak and NFL nearing its end; starting in the spring seems rather “little leagueish”.

bent20

The Odum Level
Spring ball was a dumb idea to begin with. I couldn’t imagine playing in the spring then turning around and try to do a fall season. There is no money game. Plus with FBS finishing up as we speak and NFL nearing its end; starting in the spring seems rather “little leagueish”.
I actually am curious to see if the FCS might get a little more attention playing in the spring (if they were to play in the spring instead of the fall moving forward), but I'm completely fine with ISU opting out regardless of the reason. I do think it will hurt most teams that don't have the depth the elites like NDSU do.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Because we chose not to play in the fall when we could have played some “money games”.
Back in the fall there was a supply shortage on testing kits and PPE so it would have cost a big premium. The worst thing they did was keep the charade going. They should have just moved in lockstep with the Ivy League.

sycamore tuff

The All-MVC Level
You are probably right about that with the lack of fans in attendance.

niklz62

The Green Level
I would have rather them said that it takes 6 months to heal an ACL or give me the average time it takes to heal most of the common season ending injuries and that a spring season with no post-season is not worth wasting the 2021 season and having all these player back for an extra season (i assume they will all have that opportunity).

side note I think if they add an extra season of eligibility, the players who graduate before their final season shouldnt have to attend classes to play as long as they were eligible for the lost season. Football, video games and whatever else people do these days

bent20

The Odum Level
side note I think if they add an extra season of eligibility, the players who graduate before their final season shouldnt have to attend classes to play as long as they were eligible for the lost season. Football, video games and whatever else people do these days
I'd hope this is a given, but as I've noted before, I understand if guys don't stick around Terre Haute, where they'll likely have no income, to play football.

niklz62

The Green Level
I'd hope this is a given, but as I've noted before, I understand if guys don't stick around Terre Haute, where they'll likely have no income, to play football.
since we are talking 5-10 guys they could give them the same room/board they do normal guys. It would be cool for them to get a free jump on their masters. no reason they couldnt get a part time job or something. I would think if you were going to be a starter you might stick around

Hooper

The Starter Level
Welp, the MVFC today has re-affirmed it's commitment to the Spring season and the Spring FCS Playoff. It's notes 10 institutions have likewise re-affirmed their commitment (meaning one hasn't....guess which one). If all of this is true and is a go it's going to be a really bad look for ISU. What do all the other league trainers and medical staff know that ISU's doesn't? What makes us so special that our trainers and medical staff say it's asking too much to play a spring season but every other one of our peers now has officially said the opposite? Everyone else is good to go except ISU. Just a bad, bad look for ISU if this holds.

Westbadenboy

The Captain Level
Gotta wonder ---- hope it isn't so......but have we seen the last of ISU football ? At least at the FCS level ?
Surely we checked with other MVCF schools and the conference office before our decision .......surely ???
This just seems like a bad sign to me.

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter
Welp, the MVFC today has re-affirmed it's commitment to the Spring season and the Spring FCS Playoff. It's notes 10 institutions have likewise re-affirmed their commitment (meaning one hasn't....guess which one). If all of this is true and is a go it's going to be a really bad look for ISU. What do all the other league trainers and medical staff know that ISU's doesn't? What makes us so special that our trainers and medical staff say it's asking too much to play a spring season but every other one of our peers now has officially said the opposite? Everyone else is good to go except ISU. Just a bad, bad look for ISU if this holds.

The more I think about this, the worse it gets for OUR program and our Head Coach to NOT play.

The only positive outcome is what Nicholls referred to, and that is for players not to recover some what from knicks, hurts, and injuries...because Fall football is just four months away after Spring Football ends.....but other than that, for every negative to NOT play....there's ten big positives to play!

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
Like I said, in my view our players don't want to play and our leadership apparently sucks too. If we're not going to play or at least attempt to play, we might as well just get rid of the program. Whether it's the stadium or decisions like this it just shows that we're not as committed to the program as the other MVFC institutions, and we apparently have no intentions of ever doing so. I hate even saying what I said because I love Sycamore football, but we really are a laughing stock in this conference. Everyone else is going to get playing experience this Spring, if they end up playing, while we take another step back. Just really disappointing.

bent20

The Odum Level
Oh no, we're not going to play. We're the laughing stock. Have you guys forgotten how bad it was already? One win in 50 some games. Drop the drama.

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter
Oh no, we're not going to play. We're the laughing stock.

Have you guys forgotten how bad it was already? One win in 50 some games. Drop the drama.
WOW! The posts on this were DRAMATIC?

And speaking of theatrical work, Oh no, we're not going to play and We're the laughing stock isn't showmanship itself?

And too think, that just a couple of weeks ago' the NFL Sportswriter's had labeled the Indiana State Football program as TIGHT END U.

Hooper

The Starter Level
I don't think this is some canary in the "drop football" coal mine like some of you do. And maybe I was a little dramatic saying it will be a bad look. Maybe other schools will opt out even after the "re-affirmation" and maybe the spring season will take on somewhat of an exhibition feel thus no harm/no foul opting out. A few other FCS schools have opted out (with press releases similar to ISU's) including the Montana schools (citing climate affecting the ability to practice and prepare as their rationale).

On the other hand, if the FCS markets this correctly, there can be a lot of really good national exposure for FCS football and by extension its best conference. There will be no NFL or FBS to compete with regarding tv time on weekends. For people that like to watch, attend (SIU is allowing some fans for example) and gamble on football, FCS will be the only game in town so to speak. There will be the possibility of more national tv exposure and gambling interest than ever before.

I guess I have a little FOMO that ISU may miss a chance at some really good national exposure. And yes, it does stick out like a sore thumb that we are the only program to opt out of MVFC play thus far citing a reason that , if valid, should cause other MVFC schools to opt out....but they aren't. I'm also, admittedly, hyper-sensitive to any fact that makes the school I love and donate to look like it's lagging behind. We are dead last in MVC basketball budgeting as well as football facilities and the gap is widening year after year.

Sycamore2021

The Sycamore Level
Like I said, in my view our players don't want to play and our leadership apparently sucks too. If we're not going to play or at least attempt to play, we might as well just get rid of the program. Whether it's the stadium or decisions like this it just shows that we're not as committed to the program as the other MVFC institutions, and we apparently have no intentions of ever doing so. I hate even saying what I said because I love Sycamore football, but we really are a laughing stock in this conference. Everyone else is going to get playing experience this Spring, if they end up playing, while we take another step back. Just really disappointing.
This is totally inaccurate. Just saying. Please remain civil in these discussions. The young men work hard and play hard. Being sports mad doesn't really help. Focus on Fall 2021. More teams are cancelling every day.