ISU opting out of Spring Football Season

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

So, if you don't want the current head coach, athletic director and university president to make the call on playing this spring, who SHOULD make the call? You? a poll of the fans? or donors?

Did you even read the article? The AD and the university president did NOT make the call, it was ONLY Mallory.

"The decision was his and was made without external pressure from ISU's athletic or higher administration." Trib-Star article.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Did you even read the article? The AD and the university president did NOT make the call, it was ONLY Mallory.

"The decision was his and was made without external pressure from ISU's athletic or higher administration." Trib-Star article.

Yes, I read it. SycFan96's beef was that it was ONLY Mallory and I was asking the question if NOT Mallory ( or his boss or his boss's boss) than WHO does SycFan96 want to make the decision?

There are a TRAINLOAD of bigger issues in this world than whether or not Indiana State plays football in the spring

Coaches shouldn't be making these decisions. It should be a combination of the AD and the president. I'm fine with some input from the coach, but letting it be 100% his choice is nuts. It also sounds like we completely hit the MVFC by surprise too. Why you wouldn't at least give them a heads up before making the announcement is beyond me.

Coaches shouldn't be making these decisions. It should be a combination of the AD and the president. I'm fine with some input from the coach, but letting it be 100% his choice is nuts. It also sounds like we completely hit the MVFC by surprise too. Why you wouldn't at least give them a heads up before making the announcement is beyond me.

Could be the first warning shot that we're going to leave the conference.

Could be the first warning shot that we're going to leave the conference.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. Any ideas on where we'd go? OVC, Pioneer, or dropping? The reason I ask is that EKU sort of did the same thing to the OVC in the fall and one of their fans had the same kind of question, and now it appears they are on their way to the ASUN.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. Any ideas on where we'd go? OVC, Pioneer, or dropping? The reason I ask is that EKU sort of did the same thing to the OVC in the fall and one of their fans had the same kind of question, and now it appears they are on their way to the ASUN.

I would hope OVC, if that were to happen. I'd be thrilled with such a move. Let the Dakota schools and UNI have the MVFC. Would also make sense with the MVFC now having 11 teams and OVC having 9. Let's jump before one of the Illinois MVFC schools beats us to it.

I would hope OVC, if that were to happen. I'd be thrilled with such a move. Let the Dakota schools and UNI have the MVFC. Would also make sense with the MVFC now having 11 teams and OVC having 9. Let's jump before one of the Illinois MVFC schools beats us to it.

The OVC will probably only have 7 for football in the fall after EKU and JSU leave. I think WIU will be their first call, but I would be thrilled if we could get in as a football only member. Adding us and Western would get them back to 9.

The OVC will probably only have 7 for football in the fall after EKU and JSU leave. I think WIU will be their first call, but I would be thrilled if we could get in as a football only member. Adding us and Western would get them back to 9.

SIU would make sense, too. Could make it an even 10.

SIU would make sense, too. Could make it an even 10.

Our farthest road trip in the OVC (without EKU and JSU) would be 5 and a half hours to TN Tech and we'd only have to make that trip once every other year. Besides that everything is less than 5 hours. Hopefully our athletic department is keeping an eye on this.

Our farthest road trip in the OVC (without EKU and JSU) would be 5 and a half hours to TN Tech and we'd only have to make that trip once every other year. Besides that everything is less than 5 hours. Hopefully our athletic department is keeping an eye on this.
Makes too much sense for ISU to do this. ISU administration likes to do everything the hard way.

There are a TRAINLOAD of bigger issues in this world than whether or not Indiana State plays football in the spring

Just stop while you're ahead, I NEVER said there weren't bigger issues...but this is a SINGLE ISSUE thread, if you want to start another topic called THE TRAINLOAD of BIGGER ISSUES....knock yourself out.

I think we're going to the OVC and we're brining Western Illinois with us, and it may happen before the summer so we're in the OVC for the 21-22 academic year

I think we're going to the OVC and we're brining Western Illinois with us, and it may happen before the summer so we're in the OVC for the 21-22 academic year

I hope this actually is the plan. It would be super fun to be able to wake up at 6 or 7 in the morning on Saturdays and be able to attend not only our home games, but all of our road conference games as well. Our stadium would actually be average in that conference and I think this would be a good move for our program long term. Not to mention the money our program would save on travel.

I've mentioned this before, but in the MVFC we have an agreement that we only have to travel to the Dakotas once a year. If WIU leaves the conference and we stay we won't have any choice but to travel to the Dakotas twice per year because there won't be enough teams left in our region. I'd also add that UNI, YSU, and MSU are all three farther away from Terre Haute than Cookeville, TN (where TN Tech is, who would be our farthest opponent in the OVC). We'd have to be crazy not to try to join if WIU goes.

The questionnaire sent to alums and donors for the CSA study did ask our opinion about moving to the OVC so it’s not out of the question. I’m against it because I want ISU playing in as high of a profile conference as possible. In fact, I want us to go the other way. Be the next Marshall or App State type and build alumni support, raise money, succeed in our flagship sports, and someday move up to a bigger, more prestigious conference....not set our sights on a move to the OVC.

Just stop while you're ahead, I NEVER said there weren't bigger issues...but this is a SINGLE ISSUE thread, if you want to start another topic called THE TRAINLOAD of BIGGER ISSUES....knock yourself out.

You need to start your weekend drinking earlier

The questionnaire sent to alums and donors for the CSA study did ask our opinion about moving to the OVC so it’s not out of the question. I’m against it because I want ISU playing in as high of a profile conference as possible. In fact, I want us to go the other way. Be the next Marshall or App State type and build alumni support, raise money, succeed in our flagship sports, and someday move up to a bigger, more prestigious conference....not set our sights on a move to the OVC.

Moving to the OVC is a step in the wrong direction

OVC today, GLVC by 2027, HCAC by 2033 Crossroads by 2035

For those saying the OVC is the wrong direction, we need to stop pretending. It's not admitting defeat, it's finding a level playing field.

For those saying the OVC is the wrong direction, we need to stop pretending. It's not admitting defeat, it's finding a level playing field.

The question of the "albatross in the athletic department" should be addressed before a move to another conference.

Back