ISU opting out of Spring Football Season

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
image_handler.aspx

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. -- Indiana State University Director of Athletics Sherard Clinkscales and Head Football Coach Curt Mallory announced today that the Sycamores will opt out of the 2021 spring football season.

More...

Let's face it, this team didn't want to play. They only had one thing in mind and once they accomplished that they cancelled the season a day or two afterwards.

Nothing to do with money. 19 games in 9 months is a tall task. Safety of the players is the upmost importance. Very sad for the seniors that Covid got another season. Onward to spring and 2021.

What the hell is going on. All year they said we will play spring games and all of a sudden nothing. I have been watching college football all fall and none of the schools seem to be having a covid problem. Is it a president action, AD or Mallory? This school and it's administration is CHICKEN SHIT.

I really don't believe this was about money. I think more teams will follow suit.

Wrong on so many levels.

Not wrong at all. They were all so worried about not being able to have a season. So worried that they organized a large non-football activity. Then magically a couple guys tested positive for COVID the next day and they cancelled the season.

As for players safety I've yet to hear of one D1 player that has died from the virus. If anyone had I can pretty much guarantee that basketball would be gone already and they wouldn't be playing the CFP championship tonight.

Not wrong at all. They were all so worried about not being able to have a season. So worried that they organized a large non-football activity. Then magically a couple guys tested positive for COVID the next day and they cancelled the season.

As for players safety I've yet to hear of one D1 player that has died from the virus. If anyone had I can pretty much guarantee that basketball would be gone already and they wouldn't be playing the CFP championship tonight.
Respectfully disagree. I am not getting all sports mad about this. But thinking logically, 19 games in 9 months is a tall task. It seems to be more about that fact and safety rather than Covid issues.

Respectfully disagree. I am not getting all sports mad about this. But thinking logically, 19 games in 9 months is a tall task. It seems to be more about that fact and safety rather than Covid issues.
I don't get this argument. FCS Playoff teams that go to the national semis or national finals means they will have played 15-16 games in only 4 months....and those teams tend to be good year in and year out and ready to go 8-9 months later (FCS Championship in Dec or Jan with the new season starting late August or early Sept of that same year.)

The smart schools played in the fall. The President wanted it. The incoming president said “it will get worse before it gets better”. Probably code for I’m shutting stuff down For a while. I hope I am wrong!

Dont like it but guess I respect it and understand. Wonder what seniors stay and assume that allows more on scholarships? With that it could add more depth.

I don’t know you but maybe you have some inside information. Please share them if so. The last event this team was involved in was some March against “white privilege”. Marching was worth the risk of catching COVID but playing football wasn’t.

Funny you mention privilege because mostly what I see here is a bunch of people throwing a fit simply because a football team isn't going to play this season. I guess if each of you donated a considerable amount to the team I could see it, but even then seems like a stretch to cry foul. You guys aren't the ones being asked to play two full seasons in roughly nine months. Even the teams that play in January get nine months off before they do it again.

Playing in the Spring was a bad idea from the beginning, not to mention very unrealistic. No one should be surprised by the news.
But the MVFC University Presidents voted for and approved this 19-game “bad idea.” So the plan all along was to play in the Spring and Fall. The Covid numbers are bad but FBS figured a way to play games. What specifically changed to cause ISU to pull the plug?

Back