ISU postpones fall football season because of pandemic

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
With how this all is progressing, I find it very hard to believe we'll have a college football season this year. The NFL may find a way to play games, but there are too many variables with college athletics, and I don't think we've figured enough of those variables out in time to have a full and complete college football season in 2020.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
With how this all is progressing, I find it very hard to believe we'll have a college football season this year. The NFL may find a way to play games, but there are too many variables with college athletics, and I don't think we've figured enough of those variables out in time to have a full and complete college football season in 2020.
Agree --- it'll be a helluva "goofy" football season; Fordham is in the Bronx, all of NYC-metro was just bludgeoned by COVID-19... i'd venture schools in the hardest hit areas will be cancelling more games; in a less urban area, if the schools can do a good job of keeping the teams in a "bubble" they may be able to stitch together a season but I won't be shocked if the 2020 football season is shortened by several games

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
The Ivy League will be making an announcement today that they're moving Fall sports to the Spring.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Found this link that is keeping track of FCS game cancellations.

BrokerZ

The JSW Level
Supporter
Ball State is scheduled to play Michigan and IU in consecutive weeks. That puts a huge gap in their schedule. The trickle down effect from this will be big.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Ball State is scheduled to play Michigan and IU in consecutive weeks. That puts a huge gap in their schedule. The trickle down effect from this will be big.
Yikes, didn't realize they were double dipping. My guess is that was worth like $1.5-2.5m since FBS teams usually get significantly more for money games.

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
If we can only play conference games is there any chance we play a 10 game schedule? I sort of doubt we have a season at all at this point or if we do it will be in the Spring; but if we can only play MVFC games it would be worth considering.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
If we can only play conference games is there any chance we play a 10 game schedule? I sort of doubt we have a season at all at this point or if we do it will be in the Spring; but if we can only play MVFC games it would be worth considering.
My guess is that is what most conferences will come out and say as it buys them about a month to see if there is any significant change.

Sycamorefan96

The All-MVC Level
I suppose if we miss out on a FBS payday this would be the year to miss out on it. I'm sure Middle Tennessee doesn't pay nearly what a P5 would pay. Anyone know how much we were supposed to get? My guess would be $300k-350k but I haven't found anything official.

bent20

The Odum Level
I don't see MVC having a season. You're talking about busing (some cases flying) all those kids to games. How are you going to keep the disease from spreading in such a scenario?

And, if there is a season, how does FCS handle it's stupid 7 win rule to make the playoffs?

STATE Fan 95

The Sycamore Level
Probably better count on having a spring season. Which is a bummer was recalling looking forward to what we had. Maybe have a 6 to 8 game season. That is if there is a vaccine. Even though I have my doubts on that.

Bluethunder

Hugh McAwesome
Supporter
Which puts even more pressure on the other conferences to do the same.

I would expect the ACC, Big 12 and SEC to do the same very soon.

What I will be curious to see is if they ADD games back. Meaning this, all of the P5 conferences (except Big 12) are big enough that they could just schedule conference only games and still have at least 10-11 games, and then they still get to keep their fat tv contracts and don't have to spend the cash to bring in MAC or MVC schools.

They probably wouldn't do this long term because they would not be able to get a bunch of teams to six wins and a bowl game, but hey, they basically make up the rules anyway so why not just change the bowl games to conference finishing order and eliminate the 6 win rule. Then they can eat their cake and have it too.

Last edited:

treeman

The Newsom Level
Looking more and more like no season at all. Let’s be honest, it’s impossible to feasibly see any semblance of normalcy in our lives until their is a vaccine. Even with that, it’ll be years to develop and you are gonna have opposition (and rightly fully so) about short and long term repercussion about said vaccine. If we do go spring season this year. is the next “season” going to be In the normal fall? With about a 2 week break for athletes and coaches? Just too many questions And uncertainties In this world right now to be able to pull it off I believe. Unfortunately this is all about liability, from schools to the private sector and their is no way anyone is gonna stick out their necks until their is 100% certainty everyone is safe.

bent20

The Odum Level
I don't see any fall sports, including basketball, happening. Everywhere people try to pretend like it's over and we can go back to life as normal, cases spike.

Bluethunder

Hugh McAwesome
Supporter
I still think football will be played this fall. Just too much money to be left on the table. ADs will find a way

and if they don’t, a whole lot of schools are going to see how the Indiana States of the world live each year. Some will get a little taste of reality when they don’t get their gate money and tv deal money to prop up the whole department.