ISU Set to Unveil New Athletic Logo - March 3

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

I was there at the time. I thought the cannonball idea was probably the best idea to be kind of like the mascot for Syracuse or Western Ky. But looking back, I dont know why we would have expected anything smart out of that administration.

Why exactly is a costumed mascot necessary?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Interesting "law"...

Guessing it's grounded in the Declaration of Independence, right?

This is what we have poured our limited resources and manpower into?? There is nothing wrong with the damn logo as is..so many other issues with athletics, this ain't one of them

^ this. This whole thing is low hanging fruit. So many other issues, but those are all pretty hard, so let's just go after this low hanging fruit and then pat ourselves on the back as a "job well done" after we show it off.

yes, article 4 section 5-8

Interesting, you must have learned that from a FredTalk

I've not found a copy of the Declaration broken down into Articles and Sections... the Constitution yes

shoot me a link to those FredTalks, no doubt they'll be enlightening

Interesting, you must have learned that from a FredTalk

I've not found a copy of the Declaration broken down into Articles and Sections... the Constitution yes

shoot me a link to those FredTalks, no doubt they'll be enlightening

Its in the attachments for sure. /enclosures

also a group photo of the signers mooning the camera, a rock they brought back from the moon and a crispy cream doughnut. they leave a lot of that out in "history" books

^ this. This whole thing is low hanging fruit. So many other issues, but those are all pretty hard, so let's just go after this low hanging fruit and then pat ourselves on the back as a "job well done" after we show it off.

probably wasnt too expensive and we've wasted money on a lot worse things.

You got a lot of Indiana State employees / coaches etc. who are not excited by this change - they're getting in line with the company message because it's the safe thing to do... I understand that - ya got a job to do and worrying about things that are out of your control is a good way to get caught up and find yourself out of a job.

I've been an Indiana State Sycamore my entire life - this shit runs deep in me and it matters to me... Don't be misguided in thinking my comments are personal to any individals involved in making these decisions. They're just trying to do a job like everyone else in life - I realize that. But that doesn't mean you go this right...

I wore that logo my entire childhood. I had it on my chest when we went to Indiana and ended the Hoosier classic. I had it on my chest when we won the Mo Val and went to the big dance. I was a kid and I was proud to wear that logo to school - most kids went to school touting the iconic ND, PU and IU logos. I wore Indiana State - the people making these decisions didn't put that on as a young kid and represent it. I have never represesnted anything other than that logo.

My sister & I wore that logo on our chest while competing for Indiana State for 4 years. I raced in that logo while running for a good man in John McNichols - to be a part of his program you had to have a different kind of loyalty and passion about "the logo" that was on your chest... It wasn't just a logo to any of us - it defined us in what it represented. Success. Class. Championships. Ethical. Coaches and programs across the country knew all of those things and more when they saw an athlete with that logo.

I wore that logo on my chest after graduation in St. Louis when Jake Odum took us back to the Big Dance. Probably the most joyful year of college basketball of my life. Maybe Odum doesn't care if you change the logo?? I'm guessing it means more to him than you think - I bet he didn't wake up one day hopeful you would change it... I haven't talked to him and I don't want to speak for him - but I bet he aint thrilled.

Do you Indiana State - you just keep doing you. Don't take my word for it... But damn don't be disrespectful to all of the people that have represented that logo for a long time now many of which are my friends, former teammates and alumni. You expected me to be upset Indiana State - I'm just a sqeaqy wheel over here sounding off for the hell of it. I woke up the morning after a good road win wanted to be pissed of at Indiana State - because that makes zero sense if you read my actual feelings expressed in this post and others like it.

I simply don't understand what gives you the right to change this logo? I don't understand why you would put valuable resources into changing something that isn't damaged or broken? I can't understand why this has been made a priortiy or pet project to some people at Indiana State?

But maybe it's time for me to re-evaluate some things and priorties that matter to me in life... Maybe my very personal and emotional investment in Indiana State wasn't that important in the grand scheme of things - it sure doesn't feel like it matters to anyone.

And for thsoe wondering here is a discription of the logo.

Take the current logo - remove all of the ridged edges that outline the border of the state and insert several straight lines to form a similar yet geographically incorrect version of the state of Indiana...

Then get rid of the star (that some people think is geographically incorrect and in the wrong place - but in theory you just swapped one wrong for another) and put an hourglass looking "I" in the middle of the state of Indiana...

Then take the current Sycamores font across the middle and basically you have the logo. I think they might have altered the current font slightly but I don't recall exactly - I'm not like looking at it or have a picture of it that I can post.

Last edited:
And a quick edit/addition for those wondering...

The company line is going to be - well the old logo isn't going away! In lies the problem Indiana State...

If you're going to do a rebrand and bring out a new logo you either be all-in or all-out. Bring out a new logo, new color scheme, new mascot and roll it out across all of your programs. Giving programs the option to use whatever logo they want is ridiculious.

For instance - the HC is going to need a new floor. That logo is likely going to be the new logo. But on all other facilities at least for the time being they're going leave the football field alone and many of the other facilities. Old logo (the right logo)... Identity crisis line one?!

You all reading this are welcome for me outlining all of your necessary talking points / objections and such that might come up at the "roll out" so you can get in front of them and spin it however you all want. It doesn't change the fact that you didn't have enough support and confidence to go all in on this thing and just do it right AND the reason you didn't?! Because it wasn't broken. It was all just fine... Explain it that way - it will be much more clear to me and everyone else if you're more direct about it. You can thank me later - when I tell you in person how I feel about this.

And a quick edit/addition for those wondering...

The company line is going to be - well the old logo isn't going away! In lies the problem Indiana State...

If you're going to do a rebrand and bring out a new logo you either be all-in or all-out. Bring out a new logo, new color scheme, new mascot and roll it out across all of your programs. Giving programs the option to use whatever logo they want is ridiculious.

For instance - the HC is going to need a new floor. That logo is likely going to be the new logo. But on all other facilities at least for the time being they're going leave the football field alone and many of the other facilities.

You all reading this are welcome for me outlining all of your necessary talking points / objections and such that might come up at the "roll out" so you can get in front of them and spin it however you all want. It doesn't change the fact that you didn't have enough support and confidence to go all in on this thing and just do it right AND the reason you didn't?! Because it wasn't broken. It was all just fine... Explain it that way - it will be much more clear to me and everyone else if you're more direct about it.

You mean like this one the last time?

ISU.jpg

People just sitting around looking for soemthing to do... Let's change the logo. Rather than just adopt the one you have and be consistant with the usage on all team uniforms and all facilities - let's introduce a new one and give the programs a choice because we can't afford and don't have the support to do it all at once. This is not hard - this is very easy.

And I've been invovled in a rebrand while working at Union Hospital... The old logo went away in it's enterity (it takes some time to phase things out I get it) but signage all changed, name badges changed, templates changed - everything changed. A lot went into that rebrand and we did it when we opened the new hospital... So while I'm not anymore qualified to make these comments than the next person - I do know exactly what goes into these sort of decisions and how it's supposed to look.

This is the biggest waste of money for Indiana State that I can ever imagine. In case you didn't know - the financials of a hospital are a hell of a lot different than public Indiana State University. We had money burning a hole in our pocket back when we did it all while building a $190 million hospital. Indiana State? They can't afford to change everything out at once even if it did make sense.

People just sitting around looking for something to do...

Good grief -- I've seen this scenario in every place I've visited and lived...

but regarding your earlier post; you wore the state outline w/ arched sycamores in X-Country &/or Track?

Because the GoSycamores website has a vastly different logo on the tanks, singlets that the Men's & Women's runners wear...

I did see the Arched Sycamores (current logo) on the arm of one warm up jacket but the chest of every runner had Indiana State (script font) that those teams have worn a helluva long time...

EVERY team should wear the same Royal Blue and White uniform, EVERY ONE

The same is true of logos; no team "gets their own..."

You've glimpsed the new one? Or you're speculating it will suck because it's new and un-needed?

Good grief -- I've seen this scenario in every place I've visited and lived...

but regarding your earlier post; you wore the state outline w/ arched sycamores in X-Country &/or Track?

Because the GoSycamores website has a vastly different logo on the tanks, singlets that the Men's & Women's runners wear...

I did see the Arched Sycamores (current logo) on the arm of one warm up jacket but the chest of every runner had Indiana State (script font) that those teams have worn a helluva long time...

EVERY team should wear the same Royal Blue and White uniform, EVERY ONE

The same is true of logos; no team "gets their own..."

You've glimpsed the new one? Or you're speculating it will suck because it's new and un-needed?

Look at you doing research and asking logical questions...

Yeah McNichols always had a different font that he consistently used over the years... To be clear I’m not sure I ever raced with that logo on my chest. But I warmed up with it. I’ve walked into meets with it. It’s the logo I identify the most with.... I think that is really what I’m trying to convey - but point well taken. Chest was a bit of a reach...

As long as Indiana State isn’t the only one reaching while shoving this in our face then all is fair as far as I’m concerned.

And we agree - it should be the same across the board for all teams and facilities. This new logo isn’t intended to erase the current logo - my point is they shouldn’t be erasing it in the first place but if you must replace it then erade it entirely... Giving teams and facilities a choice = poor execution, not enough support and not enough funding to get it right...

Not only have I glimpsed it - I and others have given them feedback on the current logo and a couple different concepts that were rolled out...

It looks whatever to me as I think I told them at the time I don’t love it or hate it. My emotions are not really tied to the design as much as

History and what the current logo means to me.

The lack of funding and why this is a priority?

The fact that I don’t think they have the right to change it - I think it’s bigger than any Admin or one person and should be treated as such.

It’s so far down on the list of things I’d be spending time and resources to change.

The one foot in one foot out nature of the roll out.

The timing of the roll out - just before Arch Maddness why?

I can keep going - it wouldn’t matter what the new logo looked like.

Last edited:
Im a little apathetic to them changing it and I understand the arguments against it regardless of how the new one looks BUT....
I just went to the website and had a giggle....just watch the pictures change through what the headlines are from track to MBB and WBB and think logos when you do it.

Did we get the current "Sycamores script over the outline of Indiana around 1990" looking through the archived football media guides that is the first one that had it on the helmets.

I was also gonna respond to SSOM's posts with "That logo was on the side of my brain damage"

Look at you doing research and asking logical questions...

Yeah McNichols always had a different font that he consistently used over the years... To be clear I’m not sure I ever raced with that logo on my chest. But I warmed up with it. I’ve walked into meets with it. It’s the logo I identify the most with.... I think that is really what I’m trying to convey - but point well taken. Chest was a bit of a reach...

I was a little disappointed he didn't collect your rookie and other cards to use as a reference. Some fans... sheesh.

twitch1.png

twitch2.png

twitch3.png

I was a little disappointed he didn't collect your rookie and other cards to use as a reference. Some fans... sheesh.

twitch1.png

twitch2.png

twitch3.png

I forgot those existed... That’s hilarious! A track & field collectible card of a scrub no less. Haha

Look most people at Indiana State are handcuffed by this news anyway. They’re just supporting what is being forced on them. They can’t say anything even if they loved the decision - get in line with the messaging!

They sought opinions of mostly people who would back them and agree with them... They took the feedback that they wanted to hear and proceeded - it was the plan all along.

Back