ISU vs SDSU

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

bent20

The Odum Level
Took six minutes for the South Dakota to score its first touchdown. That seems like progress, sort of.

I find it crazy that the game day stories at Tribstar.com and gosycamore.com do not list the start time for the game. If you think I'm crazy please go and check for yourself. Prove me wrong, please! But I don't see the start time listed. I had to go to one of the scoreboard websites to find the game just started. How do you not list something as important as the start time?

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
16-0 at the half, better than every other game this season so far.

ISU has missed 2 FG's, and was stopped on 4th & 1 at the goal line so this game really should be much closer.

Let's hope they can at least maintain this effort in the 2nd half. We'll see.

Holy hole in a doughnut, ISU scored a TOUCHDOWN, how many points is that worth?? (note sarcasm)

22-7

Maybe we should run nothing but trick plays. Nonstop trickery!

The game time graphic isn't included with the online story.

I realize Roberts is in there to be a runner, but he's putting up better passing numbers by the looks of it. He's 13/20 with 113 passing yards. That's not bad for the fourth string QB.

I don't see why they don't pass more, especially on 1st down, they try to run on 1st down and almost ALWAYS lose yardage, putting themselves in a huge hole from the get go.

So far ISU has been inside the 5 yard line 2 times w/o scoring and has missed 2 FG's, convert those points and we have a much closer game on our hands.

If we're lucky, this game won't make the top 10 worst blowout list (for the conference).

Golden says 6,168 for attendance is wildly optimistic but says the stadium has been 1/3 to 1/2 full. Stadium capacity is more than 12,000, so maybe it's not such a wild number. It is homecoming, maybe some folks came in, stayed for just a little while then left. Given how bad the team has been I don't think you can be too critical of a crowd that size. Even 4,000 wouldn't be that bad.

I don't see why they don't pass more, especially on 1st down, they try to run on 1st down and almost ALWAYS lose yardage, putting themselves in a huge hole from the get go.

So far ISU has been inside the 5 yard line 2 times w/o scoring and has missed 2 FG's, convert those points and we have a much closer game on our hands.

If we're lucky, this game won't make the top 10 worst blowout list (for the conference).

"I know what you're saying about passing, but at least the runs keep the clock moving. At this point we could give up two more scores and lose 43-7 and I'd consider it improvement."

I put this in quotes because I was getting ready to post these thoughts, got called away from my computer and when I got back found the score at 42-7 with 10 minutes to go in the 4th. So much for that, I guess, unless SDSU just lays down for us from here on out.

Roberts now has 25 carries for negative eight yards. We're averaging 1.6 yards on 35 carries!

because he was sacked on 1st down a gazillion times. ISU's offensive line is so porous it's insane. They need to recruit guys who will be able to give the QB time to pass so he doesn't have to run for his life every play. And the guys who stick around to play next year need to get bigger, faster, and stronger.

49-9 now, it'd be nice to score again.

at 40 points this still doesn't make the top 15 worst blowout list. (it takes a 45 point loss to make the list).

Roberts now has 25 carries for negative eight yards. We're averaging 1.6 yards on 35 carries!

49-9 is the final.

Defense wore out in the 2nd half as they were letting the opposing running backs get huge gains. If the offense ever stays on the field for long periods of time then the D can get some rest and be more effective. Until then it's just going to be the same thing over and over and over and over again.

next week's game will probably be even more of a blowout. I fully expect that game to end as a top 5er on the blowout list.

only 4 more games to go!!!!

49-9 is the final.

Defense wore out in the 2nd half as they were letting the opposing running backs get huge gains. If the offense ever stays on the field for long periods of time then the D can get some rest and be more effective. Until then it's just going to be the same thing over and over and over and over again.

next week's game will probably be even more of a blowout. I fully expect that game to end as a top 5er on the blowout list.

only 4 more games to go!!!!

Yeah, just four more! I came into this season looking so forward to watching this young team. Now I'm just anxious for it to be over and have a year under Miles' belt.

This game could have been worse. That's about the best that can be said about it.

Went to the game, just got back. First off, that haltime score is so misleading it's incredible. We basically marched down the field passing the ball. Once we got into field goal range(or so we thought) we didn't do anything to try to move the ball. 3 QB Draws. Missed the kick bad. Next time down the field get to the 1. First, we thought we scored, but nope 1 inch line. Made it 4th and an inch. QB keeper scored. Nope, apparently we called a Timeout. Ran for it. We all thought we got it, but nope, just short. They get it at the 1. Their first 2 plays were running right up the middle and both of the times the runner was tackled in the endzone, but the refs just would not give the safety. We get the ball again, but can barely stay inside field goal range in 4 downs. Our next attempt was pretty long into the wind and it came up about 2 yds short or so.
So many missed scoring opportunities....

ISU left 20 points on the field. They had the ball inside the opponent's 5 yard line 2 times and didn't score and missed 2 FG's. ISU wouldn't have won the game but it sure would have made it alot more bearable.

Syd, what was your take on the game, surely you were there.

Went to the game, just got back. First off, that haltime score is so misleading it's incredible. We basically marched down the field passing the ball. Once we got into field goal range(or so we thought) we didn't do anything to try to move the ball. 3 QB Draws. Missed the kick bad. Next time down the field get to the 1. First, we thought we scored, but nope 1 inch line. Made it 4th and an inch. QB keeper scored. Nope, apparently we called a Timeout. Ran for it. We all thought we got it, but nope, just short. They get it at the 1. Their first 2 plays were running right up the middle and both of the times the runner was tackled in the endzone, but the refs just would not give the safety. We get the ball again, but can barely stay inside field goal range in 4 downs. Our next attempt was pretty long into the wind and it came up about 2 yds short or so.
So many missed scoring opportunities....

Just got back from my day over at Homecoming. Folks, there is hope for the football team. I know that sounds crazy with a 49-9 loss, but I can tell you that we aren't that far away from being a competitive middle-of-the-pack MVC squad. We need a better quarterback, desperately. Roberts didn't play horribly, but he is just sooooo slow, that's one reason he didn't gain any positive yardage on the ground. And his arm strength isn't great either. Of course, the kid's going on one week's worth of work at QB, so I'll cut him some slack. I'd also like to think that our "better" QB is currently suspended, and will get himself straightened out, because if we'd had his arm and instincts today, we'd have scored at least two more TD's.

The defense just got tired. Lots of kids playing against lots of men. But I honestly came away thinking that we're not as bad as I thought we'd be. Shooting ourselves in the foot is still a problem, and yes we got really conservative in the red zone, but I also thought we got screwed both times inside the five with bad spots. 14 more points right there...

So, I left TH feeling fairly upbeat, considering I'd just watched a 49-9 game. It's going to come, folks. Give Miles some time and another top 10 recruiting class or two, and we're on our way.

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

The coaching staff is working hard on recruits. Many possible recruits there yesterday.
This 2nd year recruits will be as good as the 1st year's. If you were not at the game & are relying on stats you are being mislead. --Next year 2-3 wins. We are on our way to developing a real FB team.

Ong Hop, do you think most of the players will return next season (the recruits in Miles' first class). Every team has players who leave/transfer, etc... but hopefully most of the good ones stick around for the 2009 season. What's your take on that scene?

The coaching staff is working hard on recruits. Many possible recruits there yesterday.
This 2nd year recruits will be as good as the 1st year's. If you were not at the game & are relying on stats you are being mislead. --Next year 2-3 wins. We are on our way to developing a real FB team.

I'm one of the Freshman parents, and I've talked with many of the other Freshman kids and parents. I don't see kids ready to leave--maybe one or 2 at the most. The kids are disappointed, but seem truly committed to getting better and looking forward to the offseason workouts. I agree, this and another good recruiting class should translate into 2 or 3 wins next year, and optimistically .500 the year after.

Back