ISU vs Wichita State....

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
Not very optimistic about this series given ISU's pitching woes and 7th ranked WSU's hitting ability. I could see WSU scoring over 10 runs in all 3 of these games. Not sure how many ISU will score though, offense hasn't been the real trouble.

Looking at NCAA baseball statistics thru April 20th show some glaring reasons why ISU's record is what it is at this point:

Of 286 teams in the NCAA rankings:
ISU's ERA is 229th at 6.51
ISU has allowed 5.25 walks per game, ranking 259th (free passes for the opposing teams is never good)
ISU batters strike out 5.9 times per game, ranking 236th
Opposing teams get 11.3 hits per game vs. ISU as well, ranking ISU 223rd

Not sure if this team has enough to make the post season MVC tourney, while most of the remaining games are at home, they're against good teams, with the exception of Illinois State, but that really doesn't matter since ISU just lost a series to a WOEFUL Evansville team last weekend.

The NCAA stats link is here:
http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?sportCode=MBA&rpt=wkly

then click on the "Where do your team and players rank in the statistics? Click Here." link,(which is in red), and you can find your way to all the Indiana State season statistics.

Preview from the ISU site:
http://www.gosycamores.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15200&ATCLID=1447023

surprise us ISU and win one of these games....

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
I can see the Sycamores scoring a lot of runs in this series, maybe even a double digit game or two. Unfortunately though, they usually give up at least one more than they score as our pitching is deplorable!

here are the weekly NCAA baseball rpi's, ISU's has been steadily falling all season even with the strong strength of schedule. It'll be interesting to see the 2009 schedule to see if Meggs takes the same approach as this season, which obviously hasn't helped ISU.

thru April 22
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2008MBArpi3.html

20 Wichita St. Missouri Valley 30-7 7-5 0- 0- 0 20-2 3-0
83 Missouri St. Missouri Valley 25-13 9-8 2- 0- 0 14-5 0-0
106 Creighton Missouri Valley 25-13 10-9 1- 1- 0 14-3 0-0
112 UNI Missouri Valley 23-11 10-6 6- 3- 0 6-1 1-1
165 Illinois St. Missouri Valley 17-18 6-10 6- 0- 0 4-8 1-0
166 Indiana St. Missouri Valley 11-23 9-21 0- 0- 0 1-2 1-0
169 Southern Ill. Missouri Valley 20-17 5-6 4- 7- 0 11-4 0-0
216 Bradley Missouri Valley 17-19 10-8 2- 5- 0 4-6 1-0
272 Evansville Missouri Valley 9-29 2-14 1- 3- 0 4-11 2-1

It is reported that WSU's coach is in some trouble with a woman, maybe this could become a distraction for his team and we could pull out a game or even two.

I do not believe ISU will win a game in this series. It would not surprise me if they lost all three games by the 10 run rule. All three WSU pitchers are studs and their third baseman is one of the top ones in the country. He and the Saturday starter Shafer both played in the Cape Cod league last summer and were rated very high to go in this summers draft. The whole thing with Stephenson I don't believe. He is a great guy who has been one of the better coaches in the country. Look for them to make a run at the College World Series.

7-3 WSU in the 6th, ISU pitching has given up 5 walks so far in this one.

8-3 in the 8th, ISU pitchers have walked 7 WSU batters now, ugh...

this one's over, on to Saturday....

well now it's delayed till Saturday, top of the 9th WSU winning 8-7, ISU had a chance to tie in the bottom of the 8th but couldn't quite do it.

WSU batting in the 9th with 2 runners on and 1 out.

ISU pitchers have issued NINE walks to WSU batters now, unreal, otherwise ISU would win this one.

resumed game:

Inman gives up a walk and 2 runs right off the bat, WSU up 10-7 and still batting, it's probably over. pitching, ugh!
10 walks issued to WSU batters in this game so far.

make that 11 walks issued by ISU pitchers now....wow

WSU grand slam in the 9th, 14-7 now, NOW it's REALLY over......2 grand slams in this game for WSU, unreal...

Last edited:
Our pitching staff couldn't beat their mothers in a wiffle ball game!

game 3

intersting comments from Meggs in today's paper, sounds like lots of internal strife amongst the ISU team:

From Meggs:
?We need to take responsibility for what we do and what we don?t do. We had too many guys caught up in the umpiring, we had too many guys caught up in whose playing and whose not playing,? Meggs said. ?We have to come out here with no built-in excuses or feelings of ?poor me? who want to come out and battle.

?There?s a lot of those guys in the other dugout,? said Meggs, motioning towards the Wichita State side. ?They come here to beat your a?. They don?t come here to win 3-2, they want to 10-run you and get back to the hotel as quickly as they can. That?s their motivation, that?s their objective, that?s the way you should play this game.?

it's too bad ISU doesn't have the same "go getter" attitude that the Shox do. Sad...

meanwhile, in game 3 it's 4-4 in the bottom of the 7th, no blowout.........yet....4 walks issued to WSU batters today by ISU pitching.

as expected...

WSU scores 3 UNEARNED runs after an ISU error that would have ended it in the 9th tied at 4.

ISU will lose 7-4, ISU pitchers give 7 more walks to WSU batters in this one. 11 were issued in game 1.

Can we just end the season now?? Please? Missouri State will do the same thing next weekend that WSU did this weekend.

ISU is now out of the MVC post season tourney as well.

in a shocking turn of events ISU ties it at 7's in the bottom of the 9th, this game should be over, but at least they have a shot now.

I spoke too early I guess, enter foot in mouth!

wow.....

ISU wins it 8-7 on a wild pitch by a WSU reliever. I gotta admit, I had TOTALLY given up, but at least they finally had a comeback win. Congrats guys, you finally beat a top 10 team.

Tied with SIU in the MVC standings, but SIU won the series vs. ISU, so ISU is still in 7th place in the MVC, only 6 make the post season tourney. Series with Missouri State and Illinois State (home) and Creighton (road) remain for ISU.

Back