Iupui

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
IUPUI went up to Seton Hall today and won 67-65, not looking good for an ISU win on Tuesday in Indy.

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
So then they kick our a$$ all over the place at CONSECO. Their freshman forward Alex Young torches us for 15 pts (4-6 3 pt.) & 5 rebounds. Hells Bells.......can't we defend anybody?

Bird Scouting

Did LB drop by to look at his alma maters' squad for NBA recruits? We outa make a direct trade w/ the Pacers...

YEASH! I had to go look up the score after reading this forum. 62-41. Only 15 points in the second half, 33 percent shooting and only two free throw attempts to their 16. And we were out rebounded 42 to 24.

On the bright side, if there is one, it looks like Printy finally had a break out game with 15 points to lead the team.

And our twins at Idaho State are 2-9 just like us.:)

I posted this on the other board and will here too, we STINK folks, it's that simple. We were at the game and let me tell ya McKenna has never been as frustrated as he was today. You could easily see it, absolutely unbelievable game. The team has quit on him and it's VERY sad to see.

folks, I can't say anything worse than what you others have said, we were at the game and have NEVER seen a more pathetic display of basketball in our lives! It was THAT bad. No intensity, no emotion, The players, (after the 1st 10 minutes) absolutely gave up. It was HORRIFYING to watch. (Thank God Golden didn't make it to Indy to witness this garbage today per his blog)

I didn't expect to win, but losing to a Mid Con team by TWENTY-ONE points is UNACCEPTABLE. ISU should NEVER lose to a team from that league by that much. Heck, ISU played a better game AT Purdue than they did today.

It was the same old story, turnover after turnover, lost rebounds, giving up offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points to IUPUI, look at the stats, it's UGLY.

I'm like you all, something has GOT to be done, and fast. And folks, when I say this I mean it, I guarantee you ISU will NOT win one more game this entire season, it's over. This is the worst team ever, period. The players should be embarassed and ashamed of themselves for playing like that. It's just sad, pathetic, and embarassing to us fans who have to sit thru these types of games.

we can only hope for better results next season because this season is looking like it could end 2-30 or whatever.

Lord help them.

and one other stat, I heard on the way home in the ice storm that in IUPUI's history of men's basketball, ISU's 41 points was the least amount of points scored against IUPUI in it's history. Now THAT is sad folks

This would have been a good year to play IU as both teams badly need "W's". Based on their pathetic last outing and ours though we would lose again 42-41 ?

It is a direct reflection on the coaching staff.... You all don't want to say it then let me be the first to say it. They are recruiting sub par tallent and cutting par tallent. Makes no sense! They will win no more than 5 games and I will be calling for someones job...

Went to this game took almost 8 hours to drive home and feel like i should have stayed home and watched espn classic . This was pathetic i looked at these kids faces and they have no idea whats going on. Kind of knew things wasnt going to get any better after halftime when there wasnt a basketball available for warm ups and all the players just kind of looked around waondering what to do next. i say you fire ALL the assistants and put McKenna on notice . if you cant do the job get out let someone else do it.

We tried to make it to this game, but with the rediculously bad conditions, it took 4 hours to get from Terre Haute to Indy. Doesn't really sound like we missed much. We were able to make it to the Pacers game though.

It is a direct reflection on the coaching staff.... You all don't want to say it then let me be the first to say it. They are recruiting sub par tallent and cutting par tallent. Makes no sense! They will win no more than 5 games and I will be calling for someones job...

I agree with you, mostly. However, Holmstrom was horrible and worse than anybody we have now.

I'm sorry but if i remember correctly, weren't Holmstrom AND Stinson both on the All Freshman team? We've all seen both play. Sure, they may not fit Coach's new style of play, but let's not get carried away. Please don't get on here and say that players are horrible. I take offense to that because I know these boys very well. We all know that the boys we lost are good ball players. Just because they don't fit a certain way of play does not mean AT ALL that they are not good players.
Morgan i agree with you. This IS a reflection of the coaching staff. How is it not? The players are clueless. They do not know what they're doing out there. And they ARE good players...they just need to be coached.

I'm sorry but if i remember correctly, weren't Holmstrom AND Stinson both on the All Freshman team? We've all seen both play. Sure, they may not fit Coach's new style of play, but let's not get carried away. Please don't get on here and say that players are horrible. I take offense to that because I know these boys very well. We all know that the boys we lost are good ball players. Just because they don't fit a certain way of play does not mean AT ALL that they are not good players.
Morgan i agree with you. This IS a reflection of the coaching staff. How is it not? The players are clueless. They do not know what they're doing out there. And they ARE good players...they just need to be coached.

Stinson was good. Holmstrom was not in any way shape or form a D-1 basketball player. These are his career numbers:

GP MPG PPG FG% 3FG% FT% APG RPG BPG SPG
Career 52 20.0 6.2 31.7 33.1 75.5 0.8 1.4 0.0 0.5

A shooter who shot 32% from the field. Outstanding.

Also, what proof do we have that we have good players this year? Because their high school numbers were good?

Final comment on Holmstrom. Half of his college career was under McKenna's guidance - a man who did not let him play EVER. So Rico's numbers were slightly higher. Your point? Like I said before...just because they don't fit the new style does not mean they aren't good players. Let's get over this please. Why are you always bringing up Cole? He's gone so let's move on.

Our kids can play. But when you bring a coach here that has little patience and seldom works with the boys and tells them what they do wrong, how else would you expect them to perform?

Coach McKenna expects these guys to just learn everything overnight. If they make a mistake, he benches them and puts them on B team in practice. Hardly does he tell them what they do wrong. How is this in any way coaching?! My proof of this are players' testimonies. He expects them to know what to do, if they don't do it...they're done. Believe me if you want but that's the honest truth behind this.

"Final comment on Holmstrom. Half of his college career was under McKenna's guidance - a man who did not let him play EVER. So Rico's numbers were slightly higher. Your point? Like I said before...just because they don't fit the new style does not mean they aren't good players. Let's get over this please. Why are you always bringing up Cole? He's gone so let's move on.

Our kids can play. But when you bring a coach here that has little patience and seldom works with the boys and tells them what they do wrong, how else would you expect them to perform?

Coach McKenna expects these guys to just learn everything overnight. If they make a mistake, he benches them and puts them on B team in practice. Hardly does he tell them what they do wrong. How is this in any way coaching?! My proof of this are players' testimonies. He expects them to know what to do, if they don't do it...they're done. Believe me if you want but that's the honest truth behind this."

I believe that this thread is the first time I have spoke about Holmstrom. I wasn't the one who originally brought him up. I do feel that one of the biggest misconceptions about ISU basketball is that Holmstrom was a star his freshman year. His stats were horrible that year too. I never compared Stinson to Cole. Stinson was much better than him yes, but it appears that Stinson was a cancer or had some kind of issues.

I don't know what goes on in practice. I will say that we have been using 10-11 guys regularly during the games so he hasn't really "benched" anyone. I also find it hard to believe that he doesn't tell them what they do wrong. Hell, everyday in the paper he tells them whats wrong. Fans can tell what's wrong. I think its more that he has told them, they don't do it, and then its to the B team. That's pretty much the way it is with every basketball team/Football team/Baseball team......

Basketball Mental Conditioning?

Not too long ago in the TH newspaper, Coach McKenna cited an incident where a TO was called, a play setup on the ensuing throw-in, and three (3) of the five(5) players on the court were in the WRONG positions.

You tell me what the problem was???:krazy:

When you have roster comprised of players from nine (9) different states, it's no surprise that you're gonna see a wide variance in the mastery of hoop fundamentals and the level of EMOTION that players have been conditioned to perform under.

INTENSITY to one player is SUB-AVERAGE to another...which is why it's healthy to limit your geographic scope of recruiting and KNOWING your hoop demographics.

:sycamores:

Look Cole was not an anything great by any stretch... But he is way better than (Cutter, Richard, Pritney) must I keep going? If you have seen Holmstrom play and seen these kids play and disagree with me you have lost your god awful mind... The kid was a freshman and he was a solid freshman at that. Granted their is a difference between high school and D1 bball but Cole was a baller in high school. I have watched him play in high school several times and the kid could play.

You simply don't go cutting local kids like he is just for the heck of it. I understand this is a business and that you win or you loose your job at this level. I thought when the move was made it was strictly a business decision (if that is what it was) then it was a piss poor business decision the kind of decision that should and will cost him his job. Fact of the matter was Cole was a good student and a good kid (didnt smoke dope) or get in trouble off the court. I don't know the kid personally but I can tell you they made a mistake in cutting him like that.

This team is a disaster! The coaching staff is lost...

Thank you Morgan. I see it that way as well.

I don't know why, however, people on here are so focused on Holmstrom or Stinson still. Let's look at right now. Let's look ahead. It's not doing any good to argue about decisions McKenna has made in the past. What's done is done and we have what we have, so let's deal with it.

Lets support coach and our team.

can anyone tell me the "the other board" i keep reading about where people are posting?

Anybody that thinks Cole is better than Cutter, Richard or Printy is crazy, to put it mildly. But more than liikely, very biased or currently depressed.

Back