[January 25, 2021] Indiana State (6-7) vs. Southern Illinois (7-3)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
282.gif
vs.
79.gif

Indiana State Sycamores (6-7, 3-5) vs. Southern Illinois Salukis (7-3, 1-3)

Hulman Center - Terre Haute, IN
Monday, January 25, 2021
7:00 PM EST Tip

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Surprisingly enough, ESPN's BPI had us 70/30 favorites.

SIU has only been able to get in two series so far in conference play. They split with Evansville and then were swept (blown out) by Drake.

I have not seen enough of the games to know, but how about a few sets to get TK to the elbow or mid block?

image_handler.aspx

Indiana State looks to extend its modest two-game winning streak as it welcomes Southern Illinois to Hulman Center for a two-game series to start the week, Monday and Tuesday, Jan. 25 and 26.

More...

It's a little more than 8 hours to tip off and I have to wonder...

Will we achieve a third win in a row for the first time this season?
Will we sweep this two-game series?
Will Tobias be our starting point guard for the remainder of our games this season?
Will Domask have a career game against us?
Will Tyreke have a career game against them?
Will LaRavia get through this game with no more than three personal fouls?
Will Tre Williams get through this game with no more than three personal fouls?
Will we get to the free-throw line more than 20 times?
Will we make make at least 75% of our free-throw shots?
How is it that Jared Hankins does not get to see the floor?
Why doesn't Hankins get to play?
Should I be worried that Hankins never gets any minutes?
How many points will top-10 scorer Tyreke Key end his career with?

In conference play, SIU is dead last in scoring offense and scoring defense with a -13.8 margin. They are also dead last in 3FG defense and rebounding margin so making the extra pass today will likely lead to many open looks for the guys.

If we could somehow get Domask in foul trouble, this could be, I hate to say it, but an easy win. Now, some of their stats are skewed because they've played 4 fewer league games but in the games they have played, they've looked pretty bad looking at the box scores.

Lest I remind everyone they also feature @SycamoreStateofMind's favorite non-Sycamore in Trent Brown. I think he is the shooter Twitch always aspired to be. I'll let him wax poetic on him.

I have not seen enough of the games to know, but how about a few sets to get TK to the elbow or mid block?
We have tried to ISO Key in the post some but not nearly enough. It was also pretty successful. He has our highest 2FG% on the team at .560 as well as the 2nd highest FTr behind Jake at .382. So the fact Key shoots close to 60% inside the arc and gets 38 FTAs for every 100 shots, where he is shooting 91.4% at, we absolutely should be finding ways to get him to/around the basket.

In conference play, SIU is dead last in scoring offense and scoring defense with a -13.8 margin. They are also dead last in 3FG defense and rebounding margin so making the extra pass today will likely lead to many open looks for the guys.

If we could somehow get Domask in foul trouble, this could be, I hate to say it, but an easy win. Now, some of their stats are skewed because they've played 4 fewer league games but in the games they have played, they've looked pretty bad looking at the box scores.

Lest I remind everyone they also feature @SycamoreStateofMind's favorite non-Sycamore in Trent Brown. I think he is the shooter Twitch always aspired to be. I'll let him wax poetic on him.

Trent Brown is a fraud - he like myself are not D1 Basketball players... He shouldn't be playing at this level let alone starting. I wish I had played basketball at a HS (other than THS) that valued 5'10 white guys that could pass and defend. If I had - I would have likely got a full ride like Trent Brown. Unreal.

He's like Blake Simmons to me... These athletic, uninspiring white guys that aren't any good! At least when I was growing up we had players like Jason Williams "White Chocolate" who could just drop dimes. When is the last white guy that came along that could pass? I miss watching the art of passing in the game in general - like no one see's the floor, passing isn't cool and guys are afriad to make a mistake

Trent Brown is a fraud - he like myself are not D1 Basketball players... He shouldn't be playing at this level let alone starting. I wish I had played basketball at a HS (other than THS) that valued 5'10 white guys that could pass and defend. If I had - I would have likely got a full ride like Trent Brown. Unreal.

He's like Blake Simmons to me... These athletic, uninspiring white guys that aren't any good! At least when I was growing up we had players like Jason Williams "White Chocolate" who could just drop dimes. When is the last white guy that came along that could pass? I miss watching the art of passing in the game in general - like no one see's the floor, passing isn't cool and guys are afriad to make a mistake

fewer players care about passing b/c they're ALL allowed to tuck the ball under their arm like a football and "Euro" to the hoop, 'Euroing" = walking

I miss watching the art of passing in the game in general - like no one see's the floor, passing isn't cool and guys are afriad to make a mistake

The older I get the more I realize how much I love a great pass compared to dunks, reverse lay-ups, steals, etc. A big with great footwork who understands angles and positioning is a close second. But damn there is just something about a beautiful pass that leads to an easy bucket.

SIU reporting they will only bring 8 guys to the Haute. Domask out with a potentially season ending injury as well. We HAVE to sweep this one.
For those of you that legally and responsibly enjoy investing in college basketball outcomes....this news has not as of yet moved the line.

Back