Jerry Sloan’s death

BankShot

The Kleuh Level

If there was ever a model for the basketball characterization of "hard nosed," it was Sloan.

region rat

The All-MVC Level
Bank shot where are you? One of the best players and almost a coach of the Evansville Aces has died. He played along side one Indiana high schools best players Larry Humes. Sloan had a great playing career in high school, college, NBA, and NBA Coach as any notable player and coach. Tough, aggressive, smart, and as great a defensive player as ever. Old school 🏫 and great motivator. I think of how diverse he and Frank Layden were as Head Coach and assistant coach were. Leaves a great legacy to be admired.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
First page under what's new.

Chief_Quabachi

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Watched the Trees and Aces battle in the old arena. The Aces were one Helluva team. I remember in a return match-up at the arena ISU’s Lenny Long cold-cocking Buster Brilley after Brilley had supposedly made some racial slurs at EU. Refs had their back to the incident and with no re-play back then there wasn’t anything they could do about it.

region rat

The All-MVC Level
Wonder how many times he got his nose 👃 broken. Friend said it looked like a curvey race course with ski jumps every so often. Really tough player defensively but not given enough credit for his great offensive ability. Sloan and another player for the Chicago Bulls (don’t remember his name, which I knew this a.m. but I’m a member of OFC so forgive me) were two of the best defensive players at that time playing along side each other in the NBA. Saw them on TV but must have been hell for the offensive players. Sloan could have grown up in Gary the way he played. Simmer down I know he was a farm boy from Illinois. Sloan and Hume made Evansville University 👍. I didn’t know Sloan was the Head Coach for Evansville for 5 days and then the terrible plane crash. I would imagine he would have continued the success Evansville had in Men’s basketball 🏀 for sometime. We might not had gotten to see all the great things he as a player and NBA Coach. He probably been known as a great College Coach. Admired him as a special person RIF.

4Q_iu

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Wonder how many times he got his nose 👃 broken. Friend said it looked like a curvey race course with ski jumps every so often. Really tough player defensively but not given enough credit for his great offensive ability. Sloan and another player for the Chicago Bulls (don’t remember his name, which I knew this a.m. but I’m a member of OFC so forgive me) were two of the best defensive players at that time playing along side each other in the NBA. Saw them on TV but must have been hell for the offensive players. Sloan could have grown up in Gary the way he played. Simmer down I know he was a farm boy from Illinois. Sloan and Hume made Evansville University 👍. I didn’t know Sloan was the Head Coach for Evansville for 5 days and then the terrible plane crash. I would imagine he would have continued the success Evansville had in Men’s basketball 🏀 for sometime. We might not had gotten to see all the great things he as a player and NBA Coach. He probably been known as a great College Coach. Admired him as a special person RIF.
are you thinking of Norm Van Lier?

region rat

The All-MVC Level
Yes it is Van Lier, thanks 4Q. No two defensive guards were equal to those two. Sloan represents the ole school better than anybody. Unequivocally great in all aspects of being an admirable human being.
F83FE28B-3BB2-498A-9031-D411D5D11CCF.jpeg