Key and LaRavia Named Preseason All-Missouri Valley Conference; Sycamores Picked Fourth in MVC Preseason Poll

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

GoSycamores

The Newsom Level
image_handler.aspx

ST. LOUIS – Two returning standouts on the Indiana State men's basketball team received preseason recognition on Thursday as the Missouri Valley Conference announced its preseason teams and poll in advance of the 2020-21 season. The preseason poll and individual awards are decided by a voting panel consisting of coaches, sports information directors and media.

More...

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
How could Key be 1st Team all MVC?
If they were to vote today, I don’t think he’d be 3rd team.

How could Key be 1st Team all MVC?
If they were to vote today, I don’t think he’d be 3rd team.

Pretty simply. He was 1st Team All MVC last year. Makes sense for the preseason voters to assume he will be at least as good, if not better, than last year.

I guess I misunderstood your question. You asked how he could be first team all MVC in the preseason poll. That answer seemed pretty obvious.

In conference play Tyreke's still averaging 14PPG and 5RPG and leads the team in assists...not slouch numbers. Last year Key was 1st Team all MVC with 14PPG and 4RPG. We need him to be more assertive for us to be successful, but let's not act like he's not our best player. He's also still one of the best in the league.

Right now he's not first team, but by the end of the season he still could be. Unfortunately for him, there are other SG's in the league that are playing better right now.

In MVC-only numbers, Key is 13th in scoring, tied for 12th in rebounding and tied for 9th in steals. I know he hasn't lived up to our expectations, but he's still put up numbers. While he likely won't get a 1st team nod, he's still among the best in the conference.

I went back and looked at the preseason poll and did anyone even try to do any research on the teams in the MVC? The preseason rankings are exactly the same as the Arch Madness seedings from the tournament, except they flipped us and Bradley. I picked us 5th and I was being generous. The fact that we were picked 4th is pretty hilarious.

Anyone care to revisit this conversation?

I think Key has pretty firmly put himself in contention for 1st Team All-MVC. He’ll also be in the conversation POY, but I think that goes to Krutwig at the moment.

My All-Valley based on what I've seen.

PG: Roman Penn, Drake
SG: Tyreke Key, Indiana State
SF: Isiaih Mosely, Missouri State
PF: Gaige Prim, Missouri State
C: Cameron Krutwig, Loyola
6th: Shaq Hemphill, Drake

Coach: Darren DeVries, Drake

POY: Is between Krutwig, Key and Mosely.

I think Mosley has been the most impressive throughout the year, but I think Krutwig wins POY this year as more of a lifetime achievement award. He’s been the bridesmaid but never the bride...it’s his turn.

I went back and looked at the preseason poll and did anyone even try to do any research on the teams in the MVC? The preseason rankings are exactly the same as the Arch Madness seedings from the tournament, except they flipped us and Bradley. I picked us 5th and I was being generous. The fact that we were picked 4th is pretty hilarious.
I'd like to take this time to roast myself. Looks like we will finish in 4th after all. The rest of the poll was still trash though.

Back