Lansing Contract Situation

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
“I just dont understand how Lansing isnt on the hot seat. “

Let me help you. Follow these instructions:

1. Read his contract
2. Peruse the ISU athletics budget
3. Do simple math.

He’s not going anywhere anytime soon unless he wants to. Especially since some of the biggest donors to the program (and ISU athletics) are personal friends of his.

For anyone questioning Hooper on this, he's 100% right. It would cost roughly $750k to buy him out after this season, or roughly 42% of the last public basketball budget. Not happening. Seat is cooooooold... Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The only time you could see him exit early is if he left for another job or if one of you cuts a VERY large check. Here is what remains on Lansing's contract:

2018-2019 - $247,780 - $505,160 buyout
2019-2020 - $252,580 - $257,380 buyout
2020-2021 - $257,380

If you're a Sycamore basketball fan, your hope is that Lansing can turn the program back into a consistent winner. Otherwise, we'll likely have a new coach in 2021.

Last edited:

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Pulling this post out of the game thread it was originally put in since people keep asking about Lansing's contract here and on social media as well as people keep beating the drum wanting Lansing fired.

As of right now, 3/14/2018, it would cost $743,340 to buy out the final 3 years of Lansing's deal. If you've got 3/4 of a milly laying around and feel that strongly about it, make it happen.

Otherwise, let it rest. No mentally stable individual would walk away from that kind of cash. You know you damn well wouldn't even if you went 0-30. If you say you would, you're A) a damned liar and/or B) a mental midget.

Last edited:
I used to be full bore buy out Coach Losing, but the more I thought about it after this thread, leave home there the last two years. If he chokes again this coming year then that gives ISU a full year or two to watch some of the up and coming coaches to evaluate who can turn the ship. One I find interesting that should be making a head coaching jump just about the time Losings contract is up is Luke Murrry. Not just because his father is Bill Murray and that in itself would put people in the seats if he is attending games like he has everywhere Luke has been, but Luke has been the go to recruiter for Mack at Xavier and now Louisville. In two more years under Mack he should be seasoned and ready for that head coaching job he can mak an impact in. He will have a great core of players that are now fresh and soph that will be jr and sr’s Then. I would be curious to see who else everyone thinks could be prime for that jump to head coach. Jason maybe you want to move this and make a separate thread.

Personally, I'm hoping that GL just starts winning. It's lots more fun...:yahoo:

Hell yes, we should all be happy if that pan’s out.TREEFAN’s spot on, as I think many of you are. We’d obviously save a crapload of money on buyout money, additional experience is totally beneficial for GL, a good corps of recruits hopefully pan out as promised, ISU is actually a POSITIVE ASSET in recruiting now and don’t forget that the field house is getting a $45M makeover. I think most of you could sleep at night with that prognosis, right???

Last edited:
Hard to save money you don't have though.

B-20, we certainly do not have an exclusive on that LOSS of money sitting where we are in collegiate athletics in general and even our conference. I sure would rather be Indiana State than SIU right now, ISUR even, BSU or even worse yet, Evansville.

B-20, we certainly do not have an exclusive on that LOSS of money sitting where we are in collegiate athletics in general and even our conference. I sure would rather be Indiana State than SIU right now, ISUR even, BSU or even worse yet, Evansville.

How so? I'd much rather be in Illinois State's position. Do you realize their last losing season was in 2006-2007?

Bradley and Evansville are private and putting money toward the programs, so not sure they're worse off.

How so? I'd much rather be in Illinois State's position. Do you realize their last losing season was in 2006-2007?

Bradley and Evansville are private and putting money toward the programs, so not sure they're worse off.

BENT, ISUR is on the edge of those other schools but I have several contacts in Normalville that spell out a different story in the locker room, and none of them know each other and somehow they are ALL on the same wavelength. We all know they are capable of being on top but somehow fall short regularly. I was told they may lose a couple of discontents. I may or may not be right on the ISUR statement but mark it as a maybe. Evansville will be lucky to fill their roster, period and they are a mess. BSU is Ball State, not Bradley, and BSU has some internal issues as well and a school continues to draw poorly despite having a decent record. We'll see on them. Unfortunately my crystal ball got a crack in it. I knew it was broken when it placed UMBC in the Final Four.

Last edited:

Interesting if true about Illinois State.

I read BSU as BU, sorry. Honestly, I don't think about Ball State as much as many others here do because they're not in our conference.

It does seem like we've had many internal issues of our own that seem to prevent us from winning.

Interesting if true about Illinois State.

I read BSU as BU, sorry. Honestly, I don't think about Ball State as much as many others here do because they're not in our conference.

It does seem like we've had many internal issues of our own that seem to prevent us from winning.

My guess B20, is that you are a grad from the last 15 years or so because the "younger" alums don't follow Ball State at all like we old fogey alums from the 60's and 70's. I was "born again" to HATE Ball State in 1967 when I turned BLUE. Every time I see BSU hoop highlights in the 14K capacity Worthen Arena (they actually draw less than we do), I have a deep chuckle. I'm LOVIN' IT!

Let's face it, one of the more serious negatives with Coach Lansing's regime, is the amount of players "lost" during the summer. Sometimes it has worked out but at times, but it causes the coaches to make changes to fit available players and, at times, has made the non-conf part of the season kind of disjointed. My gut feeling is that we'll lose 1-2 more this summer as well so like you say, it could once again could, prevent us from winning. What an awesome way of putting it.

My guess B20, is that you are a grad from the last 15 years or so because the "younger" alums don't follow Ball State at all like we old fogey alums from the 60's and 70's. I was "born again" to HATE Ball State in 1967 when I turned BLUE. Every time I see BSU hoop highlights in the 14K capacity Worthen Arena (they actually draw less than we do), I have a deep chuckle. I'm LOVIN' IT!

Let's face it, one of the more serious negatives with Coach Lansing's regime, is the amount of players "lost" during the summer. Sometimes it has worked out but at times, but it causes the coaches to make changes to fit available players and, at times, has made the non-conf part of the season kind of disjointed. My gut feeling is that we'll lose 1-2 more this summer as well so like you say, it could once again could, prevent us from winning. What an awesome way of putting it.

Isn't it apparent that we have 1-2 on the bench that would be better at another level of competition? I will not mention names or positions. JMHO.

Isn't it apparent that we have 1-2 on the bench that would be better at another level of competition? I will not mention names or positions. JMHO.

No doubt, SP. Like I said earlier, some of those changes were exactly that, players leaving that were weak links on the court, Alex Etherington comes to mind. We have lost players that definitely hurt the team when they left too. It hurts when ANY player leaves because it looks bad for the team but when it counts, in November, nobody gives a hoot. Just WIN and everyone is happy. By the way, sorry I had to miss the last game and I didn't get to say bye at the end of the season. That sure was a lot of fun having those seats. You really get an idea what's happening on that bench when you can almost smell them, they are so close. Nice sitting by you my friend.

They were good seats. My friends, who tolerate me in the best way, and I have had those seats for a few years now. We moved down for the upper bowl. It was good to finally meet you--I enjoyed our visits. Not looking forward to what seating the next couple of years may bring. We are looking forward to the new HC. Hopefully we won't be paying a premium price for a plastic cafeteria chair. lol We usually make it down for a few baseball games. Hope to see your there. Have a good summer!

Name me one significant player we’ve lost in the summer that had any material effect on our ability to win? Lansing deserves a lot of criticism, but we’ve had a remarkable track record of keeping our best players. Peek around the rest of the MVC specifically and you’ll see we are actually one of the best when it comes to retaining players (the ones we want) through graduation.

Name me one significant player we’ve lost in the summer that had any material effect on our ability to win? Lansing deserves a lot of criticism, but we’ve had a remarkable track record of keeping our best players. Peek around the rest of the MVC specifically and you’ll see we are actually one of the best when it comes to retaining players (the ones we want) through graduation.

Brant Leitnaker

Brant Leitnaker

Boda, Leitnaker is a bad example. He was a McKenna recruit and here for four injury plagued years. Don't think he played anywhere else.

"I want to thank everybody especially coach McKenna and coach Lansing for keeping me around since I wasn't recruited by them out of high school and they gave me the opportunity to play three years despite my injury situation. I want them to know that I really appreciate that," Leitnaker said. "I just don't feel like I can continue to battle my injuries for another year and I am on track to graduate so I feel like it is in my best interests to move on from basketball."

Back