List of transfers and fired/new personnel

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
I know Darius Middlebrooks and Chuck Dowdell have transferred, I know a few more are thinking about it (no names obviously until they have made up their mind.)

Looking at the coaches I see a few names missing as well...

I haven't checked up on things but it seems like the proverbial house is almost clean.

What is the word on incoming transfers and new coaches? More freshman aren't the answer here. What is the word on that kid from Auburn who wasn't eligible or something last year?

TJames

The JSW Level
isu juco transfers

WR Larry LaCotti, 5-11, 178, San Jose, CA/Oak Grove HS/San Jose Community College

LB/DE Austen Wozniak, 6-3, 235, Cypress, TX/Cy-Fair HS/Hargrove (VA.) Military Prep

LB Santonio Davis, 5-11, 225, Long Beach, MS/Long Beach HS/Gulf Coast Community College/Perkinson, MS

Ong Hop

The Sycamore Level
You keep asking about the kid from Auburn. He's gone. Lasted 3 days last fall.
We have lost 3 coaches.
Two (2) came here to help Trent the 1st yr.
The other got married and had to move on.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
You keep asking about the kid from Auburn. He's gone. Lasted 3 days last fall.
We have lost 3 coaches.
Two (2) came here to help Trent the 1st yr.
The other got married and had to move on.
I don't ask much about anything these days, this team is a small hobby for me, I quit over a year ago now.

Besides, last I heard they were trying to get him eligible...

so...

:swordfight:

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
Anyone know where Dowdell and Middlebrooks transfered to? Just curious.
Saginaw Valley State - Division 2.

I know why Dowdell would want to (although not really...he had decent grades...why transfer to a sub-par school for 2 more years of football?)

But Middlebrooks? He was on the all-newcomer team as a RS-FR and a damn good safety. Perhaps a little too aggressive in coming downfield (He made most of his tackles at or within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage) but a solid player who could hit the shit out of people.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
LB/DE Austen Wozniak, 6-3, 235, Cypress, TX/Cy-Fair HS/Hargrove (VA.) Military Prep
Interesting, I've known a lot of Hargrave guys. The starters there are almost all FBS prospects, the 2's are FCS, and so on and so forth for the lower divisions. Did he start for them? A tweener perhaps?

TJames

The JSW Level
wozniak

from what i understand, he started for them. he was recruited by vanderbilt and iowa state coming out of high school, but for whatever reason wasn't able to make in-season recruiting trips and they ended up falling off of him.

his father, john, played at isu in the 1980s. he was an offensive guard.

TJames

The JSW Level
dowdell, middlebrooks to grand valley state

grand valley state is a very good division II program. they are in the same conference as the university of indianapolis and have produced several nfl prospects. one of the alums, DE paul spicer, starts for the jacksonville jaguars. they had a quarterback last year who did not get drafted but they are saying he could be another tony romo with some seasoning. i'm not sure who he signed with as an undrafted free agent, but he was a very good division II prospect. he just missed being invited to the nfl combine.

from what i saw this past season, middlebrooks was a little too aggressive at times. had some untimely penalties called on him. i think he had the holding penalty on the opening kickoff at eastern michigan that wiped out a touchdown.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
grand valley state is a very good division II program. they are in the same conference as the university of indianapolis and have produced several nfl prospects. one of the alums, DE paul spicer, starts for the jacksonville jaguars. they had a quarterback last year who did not get drafted but they are saying he could be another tony romo with some seasoning. i'm not sure who he signed with as an undrafted free agent, but he was a very good division II prospect. he just missed being invited to the nfl combine.

from what i saw this past season, middlebrooks was a little too aggressive at times. had some untimely penalties called on him. i think he had the holding penalty on the opening kickoff at eastern michigan that wiped out a touchdown.
I was talking more along the lines of academics when saying sub-par. I think by now Chuck Dowdell knows the NFL isn't in his future, why prolong the inevitable? To each their own I suppose, I do wish him luck...we were to room together at one point in time believe it or not.

My sentiments exactly, over-aggressive. However, I can't imagine there not being a place for a player like that on the defense. Maybe not an every down safety but surely a situational player? I won't pretend to know defenses as well as I know offenses but I believe the term is nickel? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
It's not Grand Valley, which is an excellent program--they went to Saginaw Valley State, as listed above. Dowdell wants to play QB; he'll get a shot there. Middlebrooks had continuous nagging injuries, and lost his starting job part way through the year to a Freshman--wound up starting again later in the season due to injuries to others. He was pretty good against the run, very poor against the pass (does anyone remember the Northern Illinois game?). The Auburn kid made an a** of himself to the team with some statements he made early on, and was gone quickly. All 3 of the transfers were fairly highly recruited out of high school. Locetti was just too small at the time, Davis was a "tweener" who did pretty well at another strong JUCO program.

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
Oh yeah, a couple of things I forgot. It sounds like the 3 transfers had an interesting time in the snow in a 7 on 7--none had ever been in snow before. Some other upper classmen not coming back for various reasons, studies, internships, other...Wilson, Dedeaux, McGrath. I'm curious who will snap for punts and placekicks now that Byrne and Dedeaux are gone?

TJames

The JSW Level
my apologies....

sorry guys...i had a brain fart....i misread the division II school...yes, it was saginaw valley...not grand valley....i think my head was in a valley....lol....duuuh......

SydCamore

The Captain Level
That is pretty cool that they got to enjoy the snow for the first time. I didn't really think about that.

I'm excited for the Signing day festivities. From what I have heard, we have another very strong class coming in.

As TLS said, we are not going to be able to rely on freshmen to turn us around right away. However, bringing in good recruiting classes says a lot about what people think of Coach Miles and his staff.

I'm excited because our freshmen from lasty year are going through their first off-season. I think we will see quite a difference in these kids.

TJames

The JSW Level
freshmen should be the foundation of the program....

with junior college players and division i transfers brought in to fill specific needs. you build a program from the bottom up. schools who go wholesale junior college or wholesale division i transfers don't have a consistent program. western illinois used to go big-time juco every year. they brought in some great players, but they never established any kind of consistency year to year.

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
New Sycamore Fan, you've got a son on the team right? Any insight into what was said by the Auburn kid?

I LOVE it when kids who could have done this...or should have done this...or would have done this get their comeuppance.

You guys wanna know a little known secret as to why we lost under lou west?

Everyone had a story, "Aw man I was recruited by the entire nation but...my grades were too low." Or, "Maaan, I shoulda just taken that redshirt offer to go to Florida, but I wanted to play now and go to the league."

Freaking priceless.

bent20

The Odum Level
Not that it matters much now, but does anyone know what the final word was on Schmitdke? Why did he wait until now to decide to leave?

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
Let's just say it appeared that the "Auburn Kid" had any extracurricular activity other than football on his priority list. When you have the young new boys on the block wondering what the hell did he just say...I guess that says it all. Class looks to be shaping up pretty well. One or 2 more recruits in this weekend, then signing day next Wednesday.

new sycamore fan

The All-MVC Level
Bent,

As I understand it Schmidke is still in school, but will leave (possibly to a JUCO in CA) after the year. Who knows what went on, and why he decided (or it was decided for him) to leave??