Local kids

TJames

The JSW Level
This thread concerns more than just football, but can anybody remember the last time that so many talented area kids have opted to stay home and go to Indiana State?

With Matt King, Michael Mardis, Wade Bush and Elias Brown this year in football to Mahurin and the kids from TH South and Marshall in men's basketball to the local kids in women's basketball, baseball and track.

ISU used to clean up on local kids in virtually all sports but there was a period over the last few years where those kids got away to other schools (Maynard Lewis and Armon Bassett in basketball, baseball players going to Ohio State, Stanford, and -- heaven forbid -- even Wichita State).

I am glad to see talented local athletes opt to stay and go to ISU. There sure have been a bunch of them the last couple of years.

Just wondered what anybody thought.

SydCamore

The Captain Level
Tom,

I'd like to add some local baseball players that are at or are coming to ISU.

Jordan Pearson - WV
Jeremy Lucas - WV
Brian Chestnut - WV

Koby Kramer - THS

Nick Ciolli - THN

It's nice to see. As I have stated before, we cannot live and die by recruiting the local area. However, we HAVE to get the local kids that are good enough.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
tom,
Do you remember an ISU baseball player named Danny Roman? He was a Terre Haute boy, as was Jeff Buehl(Brazil). Both were members of the 85-86 CWS team at ISU. I came to ISU in the fall of 1986, and the players received their rings at a ceremony at halftime of a football game that year. I was close with Buehl, Bob Zeihan, Mitch Hannahs, Jamie Allison, Kurt Olson and others. Another player on the ISU baseball team at that time was none other than Trent Miles, current football coach. My point is, like you said, all of the local talent in all sports pretty much went to ISU. It is very good to see them regaining a strong hold on it. ps I really wanted Mitch Hannahs to get the baseball job a few years ago, but I think Meggs is on the right track.

TJames

The JSW Level
i remember the 1986 baseball team well

because i was the media relations person for isu that handled baseball back then. and yes, i knew bob zeihen, jeff buell, john howes, danny roman, mike gardiner, john gardner and the whole group. i even have a ring that the school awarded to the 1986 team for making it to the college world series.

but it wasn't trent miles who played on the baseball team. it was his brother todd. he was an outfielder.

treefromafar

The Sycamore Level
mitch hannahs

Didn't Trent play baseball also? He was in school then. Also, any info as to why they selected Meggs over Hannahs?

bent20

The Odum Level
I'm guessing if these kids were getting offers from Ohio State and Stanford they would probably go. Maybe not, maybe they just want to stay close to home.

TJames

The JSW Level
Trent just played football at ISU....

He was a wide receiver on the team. Todd played baseball. And father Chuck was a HUGE booster of ISU athletics long before either of his sons went to school there.

TJames

The JSW Level
As for Hannahs not getting the baseball job....

I was really pulling for Mitch. He was and is a great guy. From what I understand, it was a close decision. But ISU has had a history over the years of when it comes to hiring the local guy or the out of town guy, they usually go with the out of town guy. I know from experience.

Don't get me wrong. Meggs certainly had the credentials when he was out west. And I sincerely hope that he can get the program turned around relatively quickly.

But I just thought that Mitch would have been the perfect guy for the job. Former player at ISU. Former assistant coach. Knew all the high school coaches in the state. Had great recruiting contacts in the midwest as a whole. He's a real go-getter.

I also hoped that Meggs would have hired Hannahs as an assistant head coach and chief recruiter. But that didn't happen either. But just about every very successful major Division I head baseball coach has a No. 2 guy who is the chief recruiter.

Mitch would have been perfect in that role and in that job. But that being said, he may not have wanted to do that since he didn't get the top job. Who knows?????

TLS49

The Sycamore Level
I want to know what offers Matt King had.

True enough, player of the year in Indiana is nothing compared to Texas, Florida, or Ohio...but still...player of the year?

It would make me all fuzzy inside if he pulled a Ben Roethlesberger and stayed committed to ISU because they were the first to believe in him.

True Blue

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
I want to know what offers Matt King had.

True enough, player of the year in Indiana is nothing compared to Texas, Florida, or Ohio...but still...player of the year?

It would make me all fuzzy inside if he pulled a Ben Roethlesberger and stayed committed to ISU because they were the first to believe in him.
I know some MAC schools wanted him, not sure which ones or who else. Do you mean committed to being here 4 years because he signed yesterday with us.

ISUCC

The Odum Level
you shoulda added losing THN grad Josh Phegley to IU Tom, look what he's done there, pretty dang good.

This thread concerns more than just football, but can anybody remember the last time that so many talented area kids have opted to stay home and go to Indiana State?

With Matt King, Michael Mardis, Wade Bush and Elias Brown this year in football to Mahurin and the kids from TH South and Marshall in men's basketball to the local kids in women's basketball, baseball and track.

ISU used to clean up on local kids in virtually all sports but there was a period over the last few years where those kids got away to other schools (Maynard Lewis and Armon Bassett in basketball, baseball players going to Ohio State, Stanford, and -- heaven forbid -- even Wichita State).

I am glad to see talented local athletes opt to stay and go to ISU. There sure have been a bunch of them the last couple of years.

Just wondered what anybody thought.

TJames

The JSW Level
isucc...you're right....

yep...i had forgotten about phegley, but he is exactly the kind of kid i was talking about. he should be at isu, but he isn't. as a fellow th north alum, i wish him well with the hoosiers. just wish he would have ended up at isu though.