looking for former isu players, coaches, student manager, trainers

TJames

The JSW Level
I am Tom James, the editor of the Indiana State University Football Alumni newsletter. I started the newsletter in late January in an attempt to help former players, coaches, student managers and athletic trainers keep in touch with the Sycamores Football Program. I don't get paid to do this by the school. Rather, I have put the newletters together (13 so far) in an attempt to give something back to the school where I attended and worked.

Each newsletter is filled with general news about the program as well as recruiting information. Also included are ideas on how the alumni can get involved again in Sycamore football (whether it be through financial contributions, gifts-in-kind, etc.) and what they can do to aid in recruiting efforts in their home areas. The newsletter will come out several times a month during the offseason and possibly once a week beginning with the start of preseason practices.

I was the head student manager/administrative assistant under former Sycamores football coaches Tom Harp, Dick Jamieson and Dennis Raetz. After that, I worked as ISU's assistant sports information director for nearly 15 years. I was the SID for football, baseball, wrestling and women's bowling, while also helping out in men's basketball, and track/cross country.

I was there in the great times (Larry Bird, Kurt Thomas, Wally Johnson, Bruce Baumgartner), the good times (1978-79 men's basketball NCAA run, College World Series in baseball, I-AA playoff appearances for football) and the bad times (a struggling men's basketball program under Ron Greene, Dave Schellhause, Sherman Dillard, Tates Locke).

I am now a sports correspondent for the Tribune-Star, covering the Indianapolis Colts. I live on the west side of Indy.

The purpose of this note is to not talk about me, but to try and gather more email addresses of former ISU football people. I have put together a pretty good list so far, with more email addresses trickling in each day.

So if there anybody out there who would like to be added to the Sycamore Football Alumni newsletter list, please let me know. Right now, I can only include former players, coaches, student managers and athletic trainers. My email address is tjames1475@aol.com.

We've had a great response so far from those alums already receiving the newsletter. Contributions to the football program are improving as is interest from former players. It's something that should have been done years ago. But we're doing it now.