MVC Media Day - Today 9/21/22

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
Has anybody found anymore video or audio from the media day?. Harry Schroeder carrying all of the water here. Cant event find anything from mvc.com or their social media. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
This is a really great interview, and one of the examples where Schertz’s over-sharing is a plus. The detail he gives us awesome.

My few takeaways:
  • The first player he mentions by name is Rob Martin. Practically talking about Rob like it’s a new romance.
  • He admits turnovers were our biggest problem last year. Because we didn’t have a true PG, our last year’s offense was essentially a dribble-down post up with our guards. It was the only offense they felt they could run effectively while trying to limit our turnover issues. Bottom line, he now thinks we have 2 true PG’s in Martin and Gibson and our offense may look much more like what he wants this season.
  • Credits turnovers as part of our defensive issues. Not so sure I agree with that totally, but I get his point. If you’re turning the ball over constantly and giving up easy baskets on the other end, it’s hard to be a good defensive team.
  • He expects Vos to be our leading scorer despite Neese and Henry returning. Says Vos is just a gifted, natural scorer who was in a system at DePaul that didn’t really fit his skill set.
  • I don’t love how Schertz talks about ISU like he’s still an outsider. Instead of saying “we” and “us” he says things like “they” and “them.” I know that is nitpicking, but he tends to remove himself too much from the identity of the team sometimes.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
  • I don’t love how Schertz talks about ISU like he’s still an outsider. Instead of saying “we” and “us” he says things like “they” and “them.” I know that is nitpicking, but he tends to remove himself too much from the identity of the team sometimes.
I wonder if this is a subconsious (or maybe not) tell that he doesn't feel connected with the culture in our athletic department. He's got high standards. None of our other coaches, save perhaps Hannahs, has similar standards. Hell, ISU doesn't have high standards, I mean Deb Curtis is our president...

4Q_iu

The Kleuh Level
Supporter
I wonder if this is a subconsious (or maybe not) tell that he doesn't feel connected with the culture in our athletic department. He's got high standards. None of our other coaches, save perhaps Hannahs, has similar standards. Hell, ISU doesn't have high standards, I mean Deb Curtis is our president...

a whole LOTTA people wanted a new coach... they have their wish... Year 2 of experiment will commence shortly... 2nd year grades due March 2023

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
So does he consider Larry a "non-player" or not a PG or he wants a scoring/shooting PG? Larry was stuck in the corner a lot so they could run a 4 player offense.
I guess that means he wants the PG to be a combo guard that can shoot/penetrate like he used Henry last year?

By the way, everyone knows I am a Larry fan, but Martin is very good. The only question on him is he is a FR.

IMO, we know three starters: Henry, Voss and I have to believe Stephens.

He also did not mention Miller as PG. I'm am hopeful that either Cooper will have a good year or Hobbs will surprise. That would give us another shooter.

As far as leadership and size, it would be a bonus if Gibson can play the point.

Last edited:

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
I would say coach Schertz doesn’t consider Larry a PG. my opinion doesn’t have much value but I don’t consider him a point guard either.

Does Larry take great care of the ball? yes
Is he a point guard? Not really.

my best guess is that Gibson runs the point and Martin redshirts.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
He is not talking about Martin like he is going to redshirt. He is going to be on the floor.
And how many HS POY's have we redshirted?

And for the record, I was disappointed with Larry's passing. I think he is too conservative with the ball.

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
Certainly possible.

I do think Schertz is just an analytical guy. He looks at everything from a quantitative perspective, but it would be nice if he showed us another side of his personality more often. Things like the team softball game shows that he can be that guy, but in interviews he breaks down his own team’s strengths and weaknesses with an outsider’s analysis viewpoint.

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
So does he consider Larry a "non-player" or not a PG or he wants a scoring/shooting PG? Larry was stuck in the corner a lot so they could run a 4 player offense.
I guess that means he wants the PG to be a combo guard that can shoot/penetrate like he used Henry last year?

By the way, everyone knows I am a Larry fan, but Martin is very good. The only question on him is he is a FR.

IMO, we know three starters: Henry, Voss and I have to believe Stephens.

He also did not mention Miller as PG. I'm am hopeful that either Cooper will have a good year or Hobbs will surprise. That would give us another shooter.

As far as leadership and size, it would be a bonus if Gibson can play the point.
I think Schertz looks at Larry as a defensive stopper, but he’s not a PG. In our 10 most utilized lineups at the end of the year, Larry played PG in none of them. He was primarily being used as an off-ball guard with Cam Henry working as the primary ball handler and facilitator in the offense. Larry also had a turnover rate of 20.9 last year, which is only acceptable (barely) if you’re scoring at a very high level, which Larry does not do.

That’s what Schertz was talking about in the interview. Our offense last year was essentially Henry or Bledson starting all of the action with a dribble-down post-up, with everyone else moving and cutting accordingly. Bledson also was way wild with the ball last year (highest turnover rate on the team) even in that style of offense, which I why I highly doubt we see him utilized the same way this year.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
Bledson also was way wild with the ball last year (highest turnover rate on the team) even in that style of offense, which I why I highly doubt we see him utilized the same way this year.
If 2-3 newcomers work out, I don't see how Bledson gets minutes. To me he compares with Gibson athletically with Gibson being a plus ball handler.

dino

The Varsity Level
Supporter
He is not talking about Martin like he is going to redshirt. He is going to be on the floor.
And how many HS POY's have we redshirted?
Coach says he’s only playing 9 -10 when lineups take shape. anything is possible but it’s kind of hard to figure out those last 6-7 players who aren’t getting many minutes.

pick 3-4 to be in the rotation + 6 seniors. All I’m saying it gets hard when you realize scholarship players 11-13 are probably getting spot minutes and possibly competing with Miller for minutes. You’re going to leave out some solid pieces if Martin is in there. If Martin earns time it’ll be because there’s either an injury or he’s playing at an elite level for a freshman.

this is a deep bench if coach leans heavy on the seniors:

Bledson
Kent
Larry
Hobbs
Crawford
Miller
Martin
Avila
Schertz
Holmes

Last edited:

FanSinceArenaDays

The Sycamore Level
My perspective FWIW - any redshirt in this new day & age likely will move on to play elsewhere after their redshirt year; sad but likely true. Also Martin is here to play now.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
Supporter
Coach says he’s only playing 9 -10 when lineups take shape. anything is possible but it’s kind of hard to figure out those last 6-7 players who aren’t getting many minutes.

pick 3-4 to be in the rotation + 6 seniors. All I’m saying it gets hard when you realize scholarship players 11-13 are probably getting spot minutes and possibly competing with Miller for minutes. You’re going to leave out some solid pieces if Martin is in there. If Martin earns time it’ll be because there’s either an injury or he’s playing at an elite level for a freshman.

this is a deep bench if coach leans heavy on the seniors:

Schertz
Holmes
Hobbs
Crawford
Miller
Larry
Martin
Avila
Bledson
Kent
I know Exactly what you are saying. I think Martin will play unless he is trying to fake people out. I don’t see how can possibly play 9 guys with 6 SR on the team. I disagree with him but you do see some other teams going with short benches.