New Mascot Idea

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

JamesHat

The Varsity Level
Something in the likeness of "Tree Beard" from Lord of the Rings: Two Towers. Imagine that thing doing flips and dunks during timeouts and half time or running through the crowd. That would be awesome!!! :sycamores:

CMI_Modelsheet_Treebeard.jpg

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
Mascot gets new suit

Our mascot gets a new suit tomorrow, just in time to premier at the MVC Tourney...same FOX different design.

New Mascot Suit

From what I understand, the mascot was not changed because of political correctness. It was done way before this topic was brought up.:sycamores:
Let me know if I'm wrong.

From what I understand, the mascot was not changed because of political correctness. It was done way before this topic was brought up.:sycamores:
Let me know if I'm wrong.

I was at State when the mascot was changed. Bottom line is, we dropped the Indian mascot because two people, the head of Affirmative Action and the President of SGA, bullied the school into caving that the mascot was derogatory towards Native Americans. I was rather close to the situation, and I will say with absolute certainty that bullying is the correct term. As it always goes with political correctness, if you disagreed with their stance, you were labeled a racist. And, particularly on a college campus, who wants to be tagged with that? :censored:

So, everyone caved and the movement steamed on towards another school...

Yeah, it was TOTALLY political correctness...

(P.S. - we can't even use the cool intro to the school song that they used back then. Anyone else remember that???)

I've never heard that intro, what was it like? I'd like to see State get a big inflatable tree, kind of like lil' red. I think that would go over pretty well and would be a lot more fun than Sycamore Sam. Just a thought

Mascot gets new suit

You are right "PC" won out. They then let the students vote from a list to select a new mascot. A squrriel was selected and the comments and jokes started immediately...thus the selection committee over rode the student selection and chose the FOX as our new mascot. --We just spent $800.00 on a new FOX mascot outfit so it's safe to say the FOX is here to stay.
PC is here to stay.
I personally wish we could return to the "Chief & Princess" but the NCAA has outlawed that.
Let's not "tilt with windmills" and move on to something we can actually influence or do something about. This mascot thing has become a broken record.

Let's not "tilt with windmills" and move on to something we can actually influence or do something about. This mascot thing has become a broken record.

Agreed. But I do still pine for the war-drum beat and the old school song intro. That was cool - beats the heck of of slapping a snare drum a few times!

Sam is here to stay, and from what I've heard, the student that is currently "playing" him is really into it and wants to make it a great mascot. I've always figured it's not the costume, but the person inside the costume that really counts!!!

Mascot gets new suit

He's a very nice and energetic person. A Sophmore..so we have him for 2 more years. Said he'd like to become a pro masacot.

Update on new suit

It's not looking too good for the new suit. It's 1 p.m. and no suit in Terre Haute yet. Waiting on calls from the company to find out why. Update as information available later.

Back