New MVC Blog

MVCBeat

The White Level
Hello Sycamores,

I just wanted to reach out and let you know that I started a new blog that will be focused on MVC Basketball and MVFC Football. I am a longtime Valley fan who is a veteran of 17 Arch Madnesses. I have been making MVC writeups for my friends for years and consider myself a pretty good writer, so I figured why not post my write-ups publicly for other MVC fans to read if they'd like? I intend to post a couple times a week. Sometimes I'll comment on the current league goings-on, sometimes I'll talk about the mid-major/NCAA scene overall, and sometimes I'll post about MVC history.

I launched yesterday with five articles. I have my 2020-21 MVC Preview broken into three parts, a piece detailing how I'd handle the NCAA Tournament during the pandemic, and a piece listing each MVC school's greatest basketball team of the 21st century. I think it is pretty good sampling of the things I intend to do moving forward.

Check it out if you'd like: www.missourivalleybeat.com

Thanks!

Pendleton_alum

The White Level
EVERY MVC SCHOOL’S BEST BASKETBALL TEAM OF THE 21ST CENTURY

" The first thing that differentiated this team was that they beat Indiana which had to have been awesome but also ruined their chances of playing them ever again because Big Ten teams are sissies when it comes to scheduling."

We played them 4 times since that game (04' 05' 06' and 17'). Going 3-2 in against them since 2000; 4-5 all time.

If my memory and sports-reference are correct.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
Two new blog posts today.

One runs down the action in week one and updates the power rankings.

The other ranks the top 30 returning players in this year's MVC.

Check it out here: https://www.missourivalleybeat.com

Thanks!
Hello MVCBeat,

First and foremost, excellent work! Keep it up! I love to read MVC content, so you'll have me as an avid reader.

Now for some unsolicited advice: when you post on any Valley school's message board, I highly recommend that you include a little teaser about that particular school's inclusion in your blog post. For example, to get us to read your blogs about the top 30 returning players, it would behoove (yes, I'm using the word behoove) you to include something like "Hey Sycamore fans, see which Sycamore players I've listed in the top 30 returners." This will help you draw people from our site over to yours.

Again, just some unsolicited advice from an armchair marketing professional....use it or don't use it as you prefer.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
Hello MVCBeat,

First and foremost, excellent work! Keep it up! I love to read MVC content, so you'll have me as an avid reader.

Now for some unsolicited advice: when you post on any Valley school's message board, I highly recommend that you include a little teaser about that particular school's inclusion in your blog post. For example, to get us to read your blogs about the top 30 returning players, it would behoove (yes, I'm using the word behoove) you to include something like "Hey Sycamore fans, see which Sycamore players I've listed in the top 30 returners." This will help you draw people from our site over to yours.

Again, just some unsolicited advice from an armchair marketing professional....use it or don't use it as you prefer.
No, you're right. Otherwise it looks like you are just spamming your site.

Furthermore, I'd recommend creating a Valley links page so you can at least give a link back to the sites you're using to boost your traffic.

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter

" The first thing that differentiated this team was that they beat Indiana which had to have been awesome but also ruined their chances of playing them ever again because Big Ten teams are sissies when it comes to scheduling."

We played them 4 times since that game (04' 05' 06' and 17'). Going 3-2 in against them since 2000; 4-5 all time.

And until FORT WAYNE decisively beat Eye Ewe HOME and AWAY in 2016 and 2017, the most EMBARRASING home loss in the storied history of Assembly Hall was provided by INDIANA STATE in 2017.

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter
I stand corrected. I found this, and the 2017 loss to ISU, is rated as IU's worse home loss ever.

MVCBeat

The White Level

Thank you for the correction. I didn't realize that. I guess I should have done my research and shouldn't have assumed. Appreciate it.

MVCBeat

The White Level
Hello MVCBeat,

Good idea. I tried to do that the first time I posted just a little bit. But yeah, that makes sense. I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks for reading!

MVCBeat

The White Level
No, you're right. Otherwise it looks like you are just spamming your site.

Furthermore, I'd recommend creating a Valley links page so you can at least give a link back to the sites you're using to boost your traffic.
Great idea. I will definitely do that.

MVCBeat

The White Level
Hey Sycamores,

Two new writeups today. One is the power rankings and summary from week two. The other ranks all the DI conferences by strength (via RPI over the last 7 years). I've also written MVC preview articles, an article highlighting each school's best team of the 21st century (featuring the 2000-01 Indiana State team), and an article ranking the top 30 returning players in the MVC this year (featuring Neese, Williams, LaRavia and Key).

I've also added an "MVC Resources" page compiling all the MVC fan sites, blogs and podcasts I could find. If you have any I should add, let me know.

https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/

MVCBeat

The White Level
Hello Sycamore fans,

There are two new posts on the blog this week.

-Week 3 MVC Power Rankings, Summery and Mid Major Tidbits: A decent amount of movement this week.

-Recapping Every Arch Madness Championship Game: Starting with the first St. Louis based MVC Tournament final in 1991, through last season, I recap every Arch Madness final as well as give a short summary of how the MVC did in the postseason that year. That includes the Sycamores' wins in 2001 and 2011.

You can also check out my other, older posts including my MVC Season Preview, Every MVC School's Best Team of the 21st Century, The MVC's Top 30 Returning Players, and Every DI Conference Ranked. I also have a page with links to every MVC message board, blog, and podcast that I know of. Let me know if I am missing anything.

Check it all out here: https://www.missourivalleybeat.com/

MVCBeat

The White Level
Hello Sycamore Fans,

I have two new blog posts this week. The first ranks the MVC coaches. The second is the week four summary, power rankings, and mid-major bits. Lansing was probably the toughest coach to rank. He ranks both high and low in a lot of categories. Don't know how the general Sycamore fans feels about him.

There is lots of other Valley content there as well if you haven't taken a look yet. Next week I am starting a two-part series where I simulate an MVC season (via whatifsports) using each team's best team of the 21st century from my earlier article. Should be fun.

Check it out at www.missourivalleybeat.com/ . Have a great holiday all!

Gotta Hav

The Newsom Level
Supporter
I don't believe MVCBeat has promoted the following link, but this is probably his best work so far. He rates all the MVC Coaches. The 2nd longest tenured coach in the MVC (GL) gets ranked at #7. MVCBeat said "Lansing is probably the toughest coach to rank on this list. He has himself has admitted, “If they had the money, they would have bought me out three years ago”. I don't remember him being quoted as saying that before.

BankShot

The Kleuh Level
Probably GL's "alter ego," which he lost contact w/ long ago...

Here's a review of last night's game from the SEMO perspective. They've now lost to SIU, UE (both in OT) & ISU in close contests. Is this a school that the MVC should be examining as a potential "add?"

HOOPSFAN

The Varsity Level
I don't believe MVCBeat has promoted the following link, but this is probably his best work so far. He rates all the MVC Coaches. The 2nd longest tenured coach in the MVC (GL) gets ranked at #7. MVCBeat said "Lansing is probably the toughest coach to rank on this list. He has himself has admitted, “If they had the money, they would have bought me out three years ago”. I don't remember him being quoted as saying that before.

I think it was a remark he made either on his radio show late last year or to a news outlet that he let in the clubhouse that was arranged to get him some PR. I heard it and he was on the money.