Nice Write-up on MVC Men's BB Recruiting Classes 2022

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Sycamorefan96

The All-American Level
I think next season's Valley is likely going to be Drake and then everyone else. 2nd through 12th seem pretty wide open considering how hard everyone got hit in the transfer portal and graduation.

treeman

The Renn Level
Pretty good write up and I'd agree where he stuck us as far as recruiting class goes. While a lot of our transfers don't jump off the page with crazy credentials at a high level; we do have probably the most intriguing recruiting class as it seems like every add was very intentional and not just grab the best you can. Every kid was recruited for a reason and now it's up to Schertz to see if his ingredients make one hell of a meal. I for one am pretty damn excited to see this years brand of ISU basketball

TreeTop

The Menser Level
I think next season's Valley is likely going to be Drake and then everyone else. 2nd through 12th seem pretty wide open considering how hard everyone got hit in the transfer portal and graduation.
What does that mean exactly? Drake goes 18-2 and everyone else hovers around .500?

Sycamorefan96

The All-American Level
What does that mean exactly? Drake goes 18-2 and everyone else hovers around .500?
It means that they return 5 out of their 7 key players from last season's squad that finished 3rd and narrowly lost on Sunday in St Louis; while basically everyone else had major roster turnover via the transfer portal or graduation.

UNI lost their 2 best players. SW Misery State lost their 2 best players. Loyola left. Bradley has never been able to get past 4th/5th under Wardle in the regular season. I feel like Southern should do good this season, but they seem to usually disappoint. Belmont lost a lot of key pieces. Murray State, Illinois State, and Evansville have new coaches with lots of roster turnover. Our ISU should be improved. Valpo is probably going to be Valpo as usual. UIC was awful last season and might very well finish in last place.

That's my perspective. Drake is clearly the favorite and for everyone else it's going to be about how well the rebuilt teams play together. If I had to bet $500 today, my money is on Drake finishing in the #1 slot.

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
Not sure I agree with this list much at all. It’s pretty lazily researched and poorly written. The author is putting way too much emphasis on D1 power conference transfers, with MSU being a prime example. Yes, MSU brought in a bunch of big-school players, but those guys barely played a minute for their power conference teams. Just because someone transfers from Georgia doesn’t mean they’re any good. Also, just because a prep player is ranked highly in their respective state doesn’t mean they’re any good either.

I’m not necessarily saying we should be ranked higher or lower, but I disagree with the overall analysis.

Also, for what it’s worth, I believe it’ll be Drake, SIU, and Belmont fighting for the league title this year. DeVries is the best coach in the league, and they return a lot of talent. No reason to think that league doesn’t go through Des Moines this year. SIU also returns a bunch of talent, got Newton as a transfer from UE, and recruited possibly the best prep big in the conference.

Hooper

The All-MVC Level
Supporter
Not sure I agree with this list much at all. It’s pretty lazily researched and poorly written.
Harry's done a good job promoting the MVC and OVC for a long time IMO. He knows his stuff. Sure, he's no Ernest Hemmingway but he isn't lazy...especially when it comes to VallyHoopsInsider. I'd much rather listen/read him than Holthus or Adams...both of whom take Valley-homering to a whole other level.

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
Harry's done a good job promoting the MVC and OVC for a long time IMO. He knows his stuff. Sure, he's no Ernest Hemmingway but he isn't lazy...especially when it comes to VallyHoopsInsider. I'd much rather listen/read him than Holthus or Adams...both of whom take Valley-homering to a whole other level.
I like him as well and think he overall does a great job, but you can’t read that article and tell me it is even close to his best work.

Both can be true.

BrokerZ

The Menser Level
Supporter
Do you all remember Valpo’s recruiting class last year, full of high-major transfers that didn’t get much playing time on their respective teams?

jturner38

The Sycamore Level
Not sure I agree with this list much at all. It’s pretty lazily researched and poorly written. The author is putting way too much emphasis on D1 power conference transfers, with MSU being a prime example. Yes, MSU brought in a bunch of big-school players, but those guys barely played a minute for their power conference teams. Just because someone transfers from Georgia doesn’t mean they’re any good. Also, just because a prep player is ranked highly in their respective state doesn’t mean they’re any good either.

I’m not necessarily saying we should be ranked higher or lower, but I disagree with the overall analysis.

Also, for what it’s worth, I believe it’ll be Drake, SIU, and Belmont fighting for the league title this year. DeVries is the best coach in the league, and they return a lot of talent. No reason to think that league doesn’t go through Des Moines this year. SIU also returns a bunch of talent, got Newton as a transfer from UE, and recruited possibly the best prep big in the conference.
Disagree. It's not an in-depth analysis to begin with nor would it be about incoming athletes we don't know much about. It's just information gathered from sites like Verbal Commits/MaxPreps/Sun Times etc. Just because he listed that they were xth rated player in their respective state doesn't mean he was saying they are good or bad. It's just here are the incoming students this is what they were. Take this information and do with it what you will.

Belmont will not finish Top 3/Fight for the title. You should go back and look at what they lost. What you said about Drake no argument there. SIU on paper looks good but if they are like last year and struggle to score they wont see Top 3 either.