North Texas State vs. Sycamores

ISUCC

The Odum Level
UNT is a VERY good rebounding team as well, they totally dominated the boards against Oklahoma State, so this game could be won or lost under the glass.

Looking forward to seeing this team in person for the 1st time tomorrow.

I'll be there as always (well, almost always anyway). Despite the 1st game loss I was duly impressed with our ability that game to put the ball in the hole. There aren't a lot of rebounds if the shots go in (our shots) but need to limit North Texas to "one & done" as often as possible. An old Shocker proverb (and I hate to give them credit for anything) but Gene Smithson's teams way back when had MTXE on their uniforms for Mental Toughness Extra Effort & they played like they believed it most of the time?

Little Eddie

The All-MVC Level
So far ISU is playing ok...still have troubling covering the 3 point shooters which the Mean Green seem to have at least 3 of...

ISU is making their shots too though so they're hanging around. Crawford has been impressive so far...if Jay can start hitting some we'll be right back in it.

Little Eddie

The All-MVC Level
Reed created on the last play before half and got Printy for the wide open 3 to take a 1 point lead but Jordan missed it...down 2 at half. Not a horrible half...Syc's can get this game I think. Effort seems good from the looks of it...

SycamorePsycho

The Varsity Level
This is now the fourth game that we have played and I don't know when Kevin Mckenna is going to realize that we are getting killed from the 3 point shots and he continues to run a zone defense. All that I can say is that Kevin Mckenna is not a very good coach.

Superfan312

The Varsity Level
Once again dominated by the 3 pointer, perimeter defense non-existant..again. Printy and Cutter could not get anything going at all. We got momentum one time, then gave them 3 easy buckets and that was it. One possession they had 3 3 point attempts....

Last edited:

bent20

The Odum Level
We have a very young team with Marshall out and Stinson gone. Hopefully things will continue to get better the more they play together.

Obviously you are a fan of the Sycamores............I think...........but your comments are way off base and not of any help to anyone involved with the team. Why don't you step back and take a look?

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Everybody needs to calm down. McKenna is not the problem here. I'm not sure the problem lies in anything but having so many newbies. They'll come around, and we'll get a big boost when Harry gets back. Crawford looked awesome today, and Richard really played well. He didn't force anything, and took what NT gave. Aaron was Aaron, and we really had flashes of good.

If I had to question anything, I'd like to know why Crawford was buried on the bench with about 10 minutes to go. Didn't see any of him down the stretch, which was sad since NT had no answer for him.

This ship will be righted, give it time. Harry is a BIG loss, and it's wreaking havoc on our defense. We need to be ready for the conference season. We'll get there. At least this year, we're not behind the eight ball by having too many slow players like we've had for the past several years.

It's not like we're 0-18 or anything...lighten up...:bigsmile:

SycamorePsycho

The Varsity Level
Obviously you are a fan of the Sycamores............I think...........but your comments are way off base and not of any help to anyone involved with the team. Why don't you step back and take a look?
I think I can call myself a fan when I went to every home game last year except for one game. I think that would qualify me as a fan...............I think.

hussle

The White Level
Coach's scouting and game plan of North Texas was excellant!

Our heart and hussle wasn't there to cover all the open 3's like it appeared coaches game plan required. Hands down and standing 10 feet away from a shooter probably isn't the D that is going to stop the high % 3's against us.

Would like to see some of our players have more heart on the floor...a floor burn doesn't last too long...

Enjoyed Carter's hussle! Crawford keeps getting better. Richards was tuff for NT to cover, that was good to see and he played mored aggresive.

Pritny & Cutter weren't in long enough to get going to much...maybe the heart of these young men may be worth letting them make a few mistakes...they seem to add life to our game.

bent20

The Odum Level
Were you at all the home games because you're a former player who is upset with the coach? I'd consider that a crazy thought (too classless to be true), but we've already had that here, so nothing is out of the question. McKenna is in his second year, so jumping on him already is just silly and most everyone here knows that.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
We had 5 yrs of D1 experience, I think, starting tonight. We lost 4 yrs of experience by losing Stinson and Harry. If you take out Jay's experience since he is a non-factor, we had 2 yrs of experience in the starting lineup. A few "small" steps and we will be a lot better:

1) Harry

2) team offense to get better shots.

3) better shot selection ( refer to #2)

4) defensive rebounding

5) tighten up D

Note: except for sophs Carter and Martin, we are relying entirely on frosh and transfers. Richard and Crawford have good talent and will help. Cutter and Printy need more time, and Reed will get better. Jay didn't have one 2FG today. It would help us a lot if he would get it going.

IndyTreeFan

The Nicks Level
Supporter
Jay really needs to be far, far more productive in the minutes he's out there. Yesterday, he scored two points in the first 30+ minutes of the game, and like everyone else, wasn't exactly helping on the boards. We need better out of our lone senior...:(

:sycamores::sycamores::sycamores:

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
I think it's hilarious that anyone would be down on any team (in any sport) after only two games.

Patience people. McKenna brought in some real talent. And more talent will be back before we know it....Harry.

Bob Knight used to say (I'm paraphrasing) that he didn't care about the season until the Big Ten conference games started.

We're gonna make some waves in the MVC. We just need to wade threw the non-conference waters first.

sycamorebacker

The Menser Level
you're right Chief. We all know how frustrating it is, year after year. 3 years ago we brought in 3 promising guards and we have none of them now. Four years ago we signed a prospect from Kansas and an Indiana All-star and we are getting nothing from them. I just hope our young talent has the patience and dedication to stick with it. I know we have the talent to win but we must have some consistency from year to year and develop jrs and srs.

Every time I see Crawford, Richard and Carter they are better. And I think Reed has plenty of talent also. I also think Printy and Cutter will develop. I'm still looking to the future and I'm looking forward to it.

TreeTop

The Menser Level
Supporter
I just hope our young talent has the patience and dedication to stick with it....
That's for sure. And I like to believe they do.

With Cutter, Reed, Crawford, Richard (among others)....all here next year and then subsequent years and we'll be talking about some seriously matured and veteran-ed players...not to mention the familiarity they'll have for each other's playing styles and skills. Add to that, more great recruits that McKenna will be bringing in.....hello RJ (etc).

I'm already excited about the coming years.

As for this year.....a winning record is very very realistic. Still a lot of excitement to come in the next 4 months. And yes, probably a little bit of heartache too....but that's part of the thrill of basketball in Indiana, baby!

Bring on the Racers.