[November 12, 2021] Indiana State (1-0) at #7 Purdue (1-0)

WANTED: Passionate Sycamore Fanatics. That You?

Register NOW to join our community of die-hard Sycamore fans.

Jason Svoboda

The Bird Level
Administrator
i
vs.
i

Indiana State Sycamores (1-0) vs. #7 Purdue Boilermakers (1-0)

Mackey Arena - West Lafayette, IN
Friday, November 12th, 2021
8:30pm EST Tip

Become a Supporting Member to remove this ad and help support the site.
There will be open looks to be had against Purdue, many which will come in transition. The rim is protected by some lengthy bodies - drive and kick? It will be curious to see if the kicks are contested since Painter has an army of 6'10" and ups to guard the hole on drives.

I just want to come out of this game healthy and make it respectable… Going on the road and beating a really good Purdue team with our roster that just all played together for the first time - not going to happen. It’s just not. Play hard - keep it respectable and move on. That’s where I’m at with it.

I just want to come out of this game healthy and make it respectable… Going on the road and beating a really good Purdue team with our roster that just all played together for the first time - not going to happen. It’s just not. Play hard - keep it respectable and move on. That’s where I’m at with it.
Cant disagree with this one bit. Purdue is talented, experienced and big. And Mackie is not an easy place to go in and win at.

Would like to see improvement in our defense. We will need to shoot the ball from the outside better because as pbutler said Purdue has some shot blockers that will keep us away from the rim.

Just keep meshing as a team and coming together.

Totally agree. Keep it respectable, stay healthy, and move on to the next one. Maybe in a couple years we can talk realistically about hanging with Top 10 teams, but not yet.

Although if we would happen to win, what a celebration that would be!!! 🤣

I'd like to see how the offense looks against their stingy defense. Purdue is always a pretty good defensive team. I wanna see if we can run our sets and get guys a ton of open shots. If ISU can hit 12-15 3s, I think they can keep it within 20. Purdue hit 16 3s last night.

The name of the game this year will be improvement. While there were areas of weakness on Tuesday, overall I came away way more impressed than I was disappointed. If we can come out against Purdue and I can see a point of emphasis on those weak areas that were exposed on Tuesday; then I'll be happy. Not saying the results will show improvement (PU is a top 10 team for crying out loud) but if there is conscious effort to fix those areas I'll chalk it up as a "W".

One area of the game where we will struggle mightily is down low. Between the 7'4" Edey and 6'10" Williamson (who killed us last year) we have absolutely no counter for that unless Tucker is just a defensive stopper that we don't know about yet.

If we can shoot better from outside, it could open up the lane a bit. We have to draw the bigs out to the three point line, and then use their lack of speed against them. At least that's the theory, I think.

Purdue is uber-talented, so I'm not sure anything we do will stave off the onslaught. But on any given night...

The name of the game this year will be improvement. While there were areas of weakness on Tuesday, overall I came away way more impressed than I was disappointed. If we can come out against Purdue and I can see a point of emphasis on those weak areas that were exposed on Tuesday; then I'll be happy. Not saying the results will show improvement (PU is a top 10 team for crying out loud) but if there is conscious effort to fix those areas I'll chalk it up as a "W".

One area of the game where we will struggle mightily is down low. Between the 7'4" Edey and 6'10" Williamson (who killed us last year) we have absolutely no counter for that unless Tucker is just a defensive stopper that we don't know about yet.

Agree - their Tre Williams is/was better than our (former) Tre Williams

that canadian kid of theirs is a phreak - shall be interesting to see how he fares at the next level

I have one free ticket available for anyone who wants it. You can just click on my basketball avatar to message me on here. (I just realized that.)

Tucker only played six minutes Tuesday. He's gotta play more than that, unless he doesn't work hard or do what they want. We really need him out there.

Tucker only played six minutes Tuesday. He's gotta play more than that, unless he doesn't work hard or do what they want. We really need him out there.
It’ll be interesting how we approach their size. I would agree that Tucker needs to play quite a bit, but maybe us playing small ball will throw Purdue out of rhythm. We’ll see.

It's been 51 yrs. now since ISU pulled the rug out from under the Boilers for the 1st time in history, and it occurred @ Mackey Arena in an 84-82 upset. The oldtimers might recall this game. This Purdue squad was LOADED and led by two (2) Evansville HS stars, Larry Weatherford (6'3" G) and Bobby Ford (6'7" F). The Sycs had a short front-line w/ Siebenmorgan (6'7"C), Pillow (6'2" F) and Barker (6'4"F). Final score...84-82. Could be a repeat upset?

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/purdue/1971.html

Back